Considering An Fz6 -07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a deal on an 07 FZ6. I'm wondering why it seems like such a bargain. Bad rep? Anyone out there with input. Looked at an F4i as well, but older and not so cheap. I'd just like to hear what others think of both. Are they too different to compare?

I own an FZ6. The more miles I rack up, the more I like this bike. It is really a great bike. About the only thing I can think of on the negative side, is the front springs are a little soft. I plan to send mine for some springs made for my weight this winter. The grips have a more natural angle than the FJR and after 12 hours of riding, I am more comfortable physically than I was on the FJR. This is referencing overall phyical feel. The seat is a touch narrow and could be better. Knee angle is also better, IMO. The sound of the bike is completely different, due to increased rpm's. At first, I worried about the bike being able to get out and run long periods and interstate speeds and above. No need. This bike just loves to run. Never have I asked for more when it didn't jump and give it. I love this bike.

I own an FZ6. The more miles I rack up, the more I like this bike. It is really a great bike. About the only thing I can think of on the negative side, is the front springs are a little soft. I plan to send mine for some springs made for my weight this winter. The grips have a more natural angle than the FJR and after 12 hours of riding, I am more comfortable physically than I was on the FJR. This is referencing overall phyical feel. The seat is a touch narrow and could be better. Knee angle is also better, IMO. The sound of the bike is completely different, due to increased rpm's. At first, I worried about the bike being able to get out and run long periods and interstate speeds and above. No need. This bike just loves to run. Never have I asked for more when it didn't jump and give it. I love this bike.
+1 on what Scab says. I miss my FZ6, but I think it mission is more of that of a standard bike's mission- commuting, light canyon duty, maybe light touring. Not built to run like the FJR.

Traded my 05 FZ6 in on the FJR. The only issue I had was its not the best for two-up riding. Otherwise its full of snap and loves the twisties. Once the better 1/2 started enjoying riding more I moved up to the feej but sometimes miss the FZ when riding solo. Oh and it does sit a bit high. I have a 34" inseam and always found myself leaning a little at a stop.

I have an 04 fz6 I bought off ebay last year for $3800 with under 4k miles. I picked it up in texas and road it home to fl. It is a great compliment to the fjr. No it probably isn't good 2 up and the seat sucks but other than that I flat out love it. The handling is great, run up those rpms and you can run with most bikes, 50mpg and typical yamaha reliability. I have put over 10k miles in the last year on it and another 20k on the fjr. Check out ebay and around for good deals on the used ones, you will not regret owning an fz6. good luck Everett

I picked mine up new from D & H for $5900, IIRC. Hell of a deal for such a great bike.

I'm looking for an everyday bike, but one that handles well, feels good, and is trouble free. Don't however, want a "chick bike." I've even looked at (not in person) the Ninja 650R and Versys. Don't want an SV. A midsized sportbike that doesn't have me feeling like the grips are on the front axle. I'm too old. The F4i feels a bit tight. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. Yes, I've read the reviews, but getting feedback from riders is better. Hit me. The FZ6 feels good, but I gotta shop. thanks for the input.

get the FZ1 instead. you can still find 1st gen versions w/low miles. they're rock solid, fast and comfortable enough for long days.

This is a real nice bike. I looked at it, but wanted the bee (black and yellow one).

It would be a hell of a ride back, but certainly would be fun. Plus the price is really good. About 1000 below NADA average.

clicky

Keep an eye out on the FZ1 forum. You can get a good deal on a bike these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on what Scab says. I miss my FZ6, but I think it mission is more of that of a standard bike's mission- commuting, light canyon duty, maybe light touring. Not built to run like the FJR.
Hey Barry.....I guess you'd better not tell FMG (flying monkey girl) that seeing how she put bar risers, a taller Givi screen & Givi hardbags on hers & then rode it from Ontario to WFO this past summer, detouring through Colorado on the way there (2,000 + miles).... :rolleyes: .... :lol: ....(running between 75 & 95 mph out there)

Hey Barry.....I guess you'd better not tell FMG (flying monkey girl) that seeing how she put bar risers, a taller Givi screen & Givi hardbags on hers & then rode it from Ontario to WFO this past summer, detouring through Colorado on the way there (2,000 + miles).... :rolleyes: .... :lol: ....(running between 75 & 95 mph out there)
I was a little concerned about this when I bought the FZ. Then I twisted it and pushed it to EOM. Man, please. This thing loves to run. And oddly enough, my ass was in better shape after all those miles than it was putting that many miles on the feej. Blasphemy? Perhaps. Strange ass? Probably.

edit: Hey, I guess I should read my own previous post before adding another. It seems I already said that.

Oh, well. Does anyone have some lithium I can borrow?

I'm looking for an everyday bike, but one that handles well, feels good, and is trouble free. Don't however, want a "chick bike." I've even looked at (not in person) the Ninja 650R and Versys. Don't want an SV. A midsized sportbike that doesn't have me feeling like the grips are on the front axle. I'm too old. The F4i feels a bit tight. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. Yes, I've read the reviews, but getting feedback from riders is better. Hit me. The FZ6 feels good, but I gotta shop. thanks for the input.
FZ6 is a great everyday bike. We own an '07. I would say it is my wife's but I ride it more than she does. Light, fast, easy to maneuver, comfortable...the bike rocks. I recomend the larger touring screen if you are going to do any highway miles. Sips gas.

I started looking at an '07 FZ6 about 6 weeks ago under the guise it would be a great first bike for my 16 year old son. I explained to my wife I wanted to get him something that he wouldn't outgrow in 6 months or so. And if I took it for a spin from time to time I couldn't very well be seen tooling around on something like a Honda Rebel or comparable. Great reasoning as far as I was concerned, but.....she didn't fall for it. My motive was easily transparent. However, I do now have an '07 FZ6 sitting right next to the '07 FJR in my garage. My son absolutely loves it as do I. It's a great motorcycle; light, nimble, comfortable and enough power to satisfy most riders.

Maybe someday I'll keep something for a while, but based upon my ownership history I kinda doubt it.

'74 Honda (Wrecked & Sold)

'82 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold)

'99 Suzuki Bandit (Traded for Shadow Spirit)

'99 Honda Shadow Spirit (Traded for R11RT)

'00 BMW R11RT (Sold)

'02 Honda VTX 1800C (Sold)

'02 BMW K12RS (Traded for '03 K12RS)

'02 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe (My wife's bike - Traded for V Star)

'03 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom (My wife's bike - Sold)

'03 BMW K12RS (Sold)

'03 BMW K12LT (Traded for '06 K12LT)

'06 BMW K12LT (Traded for K12GT)

'06 BMW K12GT (Traded for R12RT)

'07 BMW R12RT (Sold)

'07 Yamaha FJR (Current)

'07 Yamaha FZ6 (Current. My son's bike...yeah right)

Mike

I started looking at an '07 FZ6 about 6 weeks ago under the guise it would be a great first bike for my 16 year old son. I explained to my wife I wanted to get him something that he wouldn't outgrow in 6 months or so. And if I took it for a spin from time to time I couldn't very well be seen tooling around on something like a Honda Rebel or comparable. Great reasoning as far as I was concerned, but.....she didn't fall for it. My motive was easily transparent. However, I do now have an '07 FZ6 sitting right next to the '07 FJR in my garage. My son absolutely loves it as do I. It's a great motorcycle; light, nimble, comfortable and enough power to satisfy most riders.
Maybe someday I'll keep something for a while, but based upon my ownership history I kinda doubt it.

'74 Honda (Wrecked & Sold)

'82 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold)

'99 Suzuki Bandit (Traded for Shadow Spirit)

'99 Honda Shadow Spirit (Traded for R11RT)

'00 BMW R11RT (Sold)

'02 Honda VTX 1800C (Sold)

'02 BMW K12RS (Traded for '03 K12RS)

'02 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe (My wife's bike - Traded for V Star)

'03 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom (My wife's bike - Sold)

'03 BMW K12RS (Sold)

'03 BMW K12LT (Traded for '06 K12LT)

'06 BMW K12LT (Traded for K12GT)

'06 BMW K12GT (Traded for R12RT)

'07 BMW R12RT (Sold)

'07 Yamaha FJR (Current)

'07 Yamaha FZ6 (Current. My son's bike...yeah right)

Mike
You migrated from a bunch of Beemers to Yamaha...? Tell us about that. Price? Quality? Value? Because Yamaha kicks ass?

FZ6 is a great everyday bike. We own an '07. I would say it is my wife's but I ride it more than she does. Light, fast, easy to maneuver, comfortable...the bike rocks. I recomend the larger touring screen if you are going to do any highway miles. Sips gas.
Orangevale, when you go up to Mosquito Ridge, do you prefer the FZ to your Feej? When you shopped for the FZ, did you check out the other factories for a mid-sized standard - SV - F4i- Street Triple -or did you go with Yamaha out of loyalty? I'd consider your viewpoint valuable.

Check out the Cycle World bike shows that Yamaha are appearing at and if their schedule says display/demo then you can test ride the FJR, FZ1, and the FZ6. PM. <>< :D