Considering used 05 FJR, questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good read guys. I can only add about clunk shifting to 1st after starting. Sitting on bike with all gear on, start it in neutral while squeezing clutch & the instant it starts (my '04 starts instantly) shift to 1st & ride off. Mine doesn't clunk this way but if I wait a few seconds to shift to 1st it will clunk. Try it, you'll like it. Later,,, De :rolleyes:

OK Folks, I got the 2005 FJR out the door for $9K! I took my wife to get safety gear and off we went last night. This was the first real ride she's had as a pillon and was content with a quick 100 mile loop. She's so hooked, it reminded me of the first night I brought home my first bike 17 years ago.
Bike ran great, plenty of power and grunt but MUCH smoother running and shifting than any Kawasuckie I've ever owned. The gear box is smooth as silk!

I'll be changing the oil and cleaning off all the bugs before I take some photos. I'll try to post them up Tuseday when I get back to work, I'll be too busy riding between now and then.

Thanks for all the info here, I'll be around very soon to join in the fun here.

Later!

Rick
Glad I clicked on this link. I also bought the FJR so that my wife could come with me and enjoy riding. She loves it too! Getting your wife into riding with you is a great thing for the relationship. The closeness is a wonderful thing. Get a comm unit to make it even better. Also, if you have questions regarding pillion comfort, just ask! We have done a few things to make Sherri more confortable and had good luck with it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the FJR!

Great to hear you like the Yamaha. On my 05 I drilled and tapped another hole in the shifter linkage arm on the engine closer to the shaft. Then I moved the linkage to the new hole to take up what I thought was too much shifter travel. I did this when new and it seemed to really help with mis-shifts.

On mine I really noticed it start to shift and run much better after about 8000 miles.

I'm running Delo 400 15-40 oil in the engine and Mobil 1 synthetic in the final drive.