Considering used: should I be afraid of the auto-clutch?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't listen to that cruppelt guy. He hated his AE so much he sold it! :D

Nice to see you still around Chris. Any closer to your FJR replacement?
Hi gixxerjasen,

Yep, I still hang out here every so often.

I've pulled the trigger on the new bike (2007 Aprilia Tuono) a couple of months ago. You can't really call it a "replacement" though since it's such a different bike altogether, but it's what I ride these days and it's been a hell of a lot of fun so far.

The exceptions as mentioned above are when it comes to heavy traffic or very long days in the saddle (which I don't have a lot of anymore though); either of these situations and I miss my AE very much.

Tuono1st

Tuono2nd
Hey Chris,

Happy to see you still around the forum. I sent you a PM asking if you had purchased the Tuono and then read this post to see you did in fact purchase one. Congrats!!! You obviously are enjoying the Aprilia B)

Barry

I ride my manual clutch 2005 in heavy traffic everyday, I dont understand the issue with the manual clutch lever?

Besides I use mine for demo rides for MSF classes, hard to use the friction zone without a manual alutch.

I've been riding for years in traffic with a manual clutch lever. Riding the AE in traffic is SOOOOOO much better.

My 06 AE slows me down so much that Gen 1 guys like WheatonFJR & Bungie can almost keep up with me in the twisties.
tongue.gif

I have 110,000-odd kms on my AE, and the only time I wish I had a clutch handle is when it get REALLY slippery out... can't feather the clutch on the AE and that can make things too interesting for my tastes... otherwise no issues.

Griff

Faced with the potential need to replace my beloved 'Cherise', I am contemplating a move to the AE. Having been riding for a few decades when I bought my '07, I scoffed at the idea of the AE (even though I coulda picked up an '06 AE for $4k less.) But, after a couple of rides on Canuckleheads bike followed by a week on a rental AE on the East Coast, I was converted. It seems a little strange... well maybe really, really strange... at first, after a couple of days, I was loving it.

I guess, for most of us anyway, it's just something you just have to experience to apprieciate.
smile.gif

1345842994[/url]' post='993985']I have 110,000-odd kms on my AE, and the only time I wish I had a clutch handle is when it get REALLY slippery out... can't feather the clutch on the AE and that can make things too interesting for my tastes... otherwise no issues.

Griff
Stop riding during/after blizzards you nut! :p

If the ae could be fitted with a clutch lever (electric, spring loaded) that would override the auto clutch (if desired) it would be perfect!

If the ae could be fitted with a clutch lever (electric, spring loaded) that would override the auto clutch (if desired) it would be perfect!
Agreed, Would be nice, But its darn hard to use an AE to ride demos for MSF classes. Alot fo what I do is in the "friction zone" so i have to have a clutch lever.

Faced with the potential need to replace my beloved 'Cherise', I am contemplating a move to the AE. Having been riding for a few decades when I bought my '07, I scoffed at the idea of the AE (even though I coulda picked up an '06 AE for $4k less.) But, after a couple of rides on Canuckleheads bike followed by a week on a rental AE on the East Coast, I was converted. It seems a little strange... well maybe really, really strange... at first, after a couple of days, I was loving it.

I guess, for most of us anyway, it's just something you just have to experience to apprieciate.
smile.gif
Of course! Welcome to the 21st century. :yahoo:

I bought a new '09 AE in mid-June after looking at both variants for a while. I love my AE and have to admit it has colored my thinking... to the point of not wanting to buy another large M/C without an auto clutch or auto-shift (Honda VFR/Crosstourer/NSX).

Although there is no manual clutch, there still is a 'friction zone.' You simply run the bike in 2nd, and drag the rear brake slightly. Even I can turn the bike completely around on a two-lane country road.

Yamaha's YCCS system is well-proven and reliable. The only drawback is that you can't push-start the bike if the battery is dead, although I think the bike could be push-started (roll-started) if the battery were good but the starter was bad (I also think this would be cumbersome and potentially dangerous).

If you want the auto-clutch, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

..., although I think the bike could be push-started (roll-started) if the battery were good but the starter was bad ...
Sorry, can't.

The clutch won't engage unless the engine is turning fast enough, nothing to do with road speed.

Found this out when I was in a line of stop-start traffic going down-hill. I was allowing the bike to coast from stationary, first gear engaged, but engine at idle. After a while, the traffic freed, I found I was doing 30 with the engine still at idle. I couldn't change into second, I had to use the throttle to rev right up to get the clutch to engage.

Unless its behaviour is different in second (which I very much doubt), you're stuck.

If I'm travelling any distance, I carry jumper leads ...
unsure.gif

..., although I think the bike could be push-started (roll-started) if the battery were good but the starter was bad ...
Sorry, can't.

The clutch won't engage unless the engine is turning fast enough, nothing to do with road speed.

Found this out when I was in a line of stop-start traffic going down-hill. I was allowing the bike to coast from stationary, first gear engaged, but engine at idle. After a while, the traffic freed, I found I was doing 30 with the engine still at idle. I couldn't change into second, I had to use the throttle to rev right up to get the clutch to engage.

Unless its behaviour is different in second (which I very much doubt), you're stuck.

unsure.gif
I think you could, and I'll explain, but first a disclaimer: don't try this, because it's a good way to fall resulting in damage to your FJR and injury to yourself.

The AE does engage the clutch with the engine off, if it has been off for a few seconds. This is how you can 'park' an AE on a hill and not worry about it rolling. The clutch doesn't disengage until the starter is pressed. I know this from trying to push a bike that was in gear, with the ignition turned on, but not started.

I think if you had the bike on, shifted it into 2nd, got it rolling down a hill, and then turned the ignition off, it would engage the clutch after a short while. The trick would be having the bike lurch as the clutch engaged, being able to control it, and then reach with one hand to turn the ignition key back on... all without crashing. If I was taller I'd run an experiment, but as it is I can barely get my toes down. This is something I would keep in mind for a desperate situation, but wouldn't do otherwise.

I bought my AE in June. 3 weeks later one of my friends that rode my bike bought one too. Now a third friend bought one. 3 FJRs, 3 AE's. Can't beat the ride.

The writer's comment about solving an accel-jerk problem with money referred only to Gen-I AE bikes, but with a Gen-II AE there is far less issue, so no need to throw any money at the problem.
There is no such thing as a Gen-I AE, as all AEs are Gen-II spawn.
I think he may have been talking about the improvements made to the '09 model vs the original '06-'08 bikes. Maybe not though.

The writer's comment about solving an accel-jerk problem with money referred only to Gen-I AE bikes, but with a Gen-II AE there is far less issue, so no need to throw any money at the problem.
I think he may have been talking about the improvements made to the '09 model vs the original '06-'08 bikes. Maybe not though.
Nah...the 09s were as big a piece of crap as the 06 to 08s. :p :p :p

Sorry, can't.

unsure.gif
I think you could, and I'll explain, but first a disclaimer: don't try this, because it's a good way to fall resulting in damage to your FJR and injury to yourself.

The AE does engage the clutch with the engine off, if it has been off for a few seconds. This is how you can 'park' an AE on a hill and not worry about it rolling. The clutch doesn't disengage until the starter is pressed. I know this from trying to push a bike that was in gear, with the ignition turned on, but not started.

I think if you had the bike on, shifted it into 2nd, got it rolling down a hill, and then turned the ignition off, it would engage the clutch after a short while. The trick would be having the bike lurch as the clutch engaged, being able to control it, and then reach with one hand to turn the ignition key back on... all without crashing. If I was taller I'd run an experiment, but as it is I can barely get my toes down. This is something I would keep in mind for a desperate situation, but wouldn't do otherwise.
Maybe. This would depend on the details of the interlocks programmed into the ECU by Yamaha, so it would need an experiment. Like you, I would be reluctant to try this except under exceptional circumstances.

[edit] Don't think the clutch will engage until the road speed is zero.[/edit]

One minor point, the clutch will dis-engage after the ignition is turned on if you touch a brake for half a second, no need to hit the starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that particular change to the Gen II piece of crap was in 2008, which definitely made it a nicer piece of crap to ride than the 06-07 pieces of crap, even if they were the same size.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that particular change to the Gen II piece of crap was in 2008, which definitely made it a nicer piece of crap to ride than the 06-07 pieces of crap, even if they were the same size.
100% agreement!