Coocase or Givi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmo75

Reaction score
Hi gang. I'm in the market for a top case, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Givi or Coocase. I've searched this whole site, and while there's plenty to say about Givi, there is not much said about Coocase. I know they're new, but I figured someone would have a more thurough review out here... :)

This is how I would summarize the very little feedback thus far on the Coocase...

1. Good ideas with the luxury liners and lid that won't fall
Verdict is out about the LEDs being useful (too small/few of them)

Autolock & alarm are features that maybe nobody is asking for?

Overall the Coocase looks to be well-made. I don't think the autolock would actually "lock out" a user, since a key can open it in addition to the fob... However, I'm not sure I want to fuss with an alarm... I'm not one for features we don't need (like KIPASS on a Connnie :) )...

We know what we get with the Givi... It does (mostly) everything a good top case should. Does anyone out there with a Coocase have anything that will change my mind?

Later! :punk:

I am in the same boat you are: Givi, Shad, or Coocase. Shad is pretty cheap Coocase has two other things going for it: nice painted versions that seem to be a close match to an 08's Raven, plus a nice finished/lined interior.

Let me know where you land, where you found the best deal, and which model # you ended up with (plus mounting option).

Coocase looks good to me. Just having a lined inside and auto lock would do it for me.

I have put lots of hard miles on my Givi 46. I lined the bottom but not the lid or sides. Wish I had as I did some damage to a camera lenses that slide to the side. Also have fought with the latch a few times in the wind & rain, which can be very irritating. Over all, I would give the Givi a C+.

If you go with this box, make sure you get the mounts that allow you to move the trunk back. My setup does not leave enough room for my SO to be comfortable. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing ..

It looks like Coocase doesn't make a rack for mounting the trunk, only an adapter plate. One of the best features of the Givi system is their rack. It provides a more rugged mounting than anything just clamped to the stock rack, and much better than the (recalled) Yamaha Accessory trunk rack. It does look like you can buy the Givi rack and use the Coocase adapter plate in place of the Givi plate if you wanted to. But unless you are looking at going with one of their smaller volume bags, I don't really see the point.

The Givi is tried and true. I don't have any passenger crowding problems with my color matched V46 Givi on my 1st gen. Maybe that's a second gen issue? Or maybe it only matters to the more Rubenesque ladies? :unsure: I also always pack my gear inside so that it can't move around inside the bag, more for load shifting reasons than damage to the contents. Don't see the point of a liner.

FWIW - Best prices and service around for Givi bags is at SportTour.com No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Coocase looks like an improvement over the Givi for about the same price. I'd like to see one in person before buying it. In particular, I'd like to see how the electrical contacts between the mount and case work to make sure they are not prone to premature wear or corrosion. If you get one let us know how it works out for you.

Hi gang. I'm in the market for a top case, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Givi or Coocase. I've searched this whole site, and while there's plenty to say about Givi, there is not much said about Coocase. I know they're new, but I figured someone would have a more thurough review out here... :)
This is how I would summarize the very little feedback thus far on the Coocase...

1. Good ideas with the luxury liners and lid that won't fall
Verdict is out about the LEDs being useful (too small/few of them)

Autolock & alarm are features that maybe nobody is asking for?

Overall the Coocase looks to be well-made. I don't think the autolock would actually "lock out" a user, since a key can open it in addition to the fob... However, I'm not sure I want to fuss with an alarm... I'm not one for features we don't need (like KIPASS on a Connnie :) )...

We know what we get with the Givi... It does (mostly) everything a good top case should. Does anyone out there with a Coocase have anything that will change my mind?

Later! :punk:

I am also doing research on the top cases

Just called Coocase rep and in addition to the adapter plate you have to purchase the Givi base plate at 147.00 add the adapter plate 22.50 and the Case 276.00 your total cost is 425.00 plus shipping.

I have not gotten heard back from the Shap case distributor.

I am also doing research on the top casesJust called Coocase rep and in addition to the adapter plate you have to purchase the Givi base plate at 147.00 add the adapter plate 22.50 and the Case 276.00 your total cost is 425.00 plus shipping.
The $147 is for the GIVI rack and adapter plate. I highly recommend using their rack, whether mounting a Givi Bag or a Coocase bag on any 1st gen.

Just got a email from Shad dist.

329.95 case

60.00 for plate

68 for back rest

free shipping..thanks.

I just installed a Coocase V36 about 3 weeks ago. I already posted my review on this forum. In a nutshell, got it for the keyfob & alarm. The 2 pairs of LEDs are small, but so what. Do NOT attempt to add the Coocase backrest !! The Coocase adapter plate is plastic & small. Adjusting it to the SW-Motech adapter plate causes the Coocase plate to extend almost 60% off the aluminum SW plate, which I did not like. The Coocase, IMO, needs a backrest for the passenger because the outer case hinge is long & pointed, very uncomfortable. So I made one out of 1/2" pressure sensitive black foam.

There are other pros & cons, search my post for those. Sorry, no pics to this forum, newbie/old fart hasn't figured that out yet. Normal email me & I will email pics.

The Coocase electrics connect to the plastic adapter plate via 3 spade-like pins at the back left corner. The front of the case connects via 2 plastic tabs, almost like broad hooks. So I found I had to pull up on the front of the case when trying to fit the pins into their female counter parts. This takes several tries, and then like magic all goes together. Since my case rattled a bit, I place a square piece of black foam between the case and plate, and all is now quiet. But it made attaching the case harder to the plate.

In my weather, the pressure sensitive adhesive started to peel off, my backrtest pad is much bigger and conforms to the curve of the case, so I ended up using plastic auto trim 'thingees' from Ace Hardware to secure the foam.

My case from Twisted Throttle was $250, SW plate $130, and Coocase backrest $40. Shipping $13. These are good people. They took the backrest back w/o the restock fee, but I had to send pics why it didn't work. Their web site shows 2 other FJR plates that may have enough length for the backrest install.?

I'm happy with my Givi but would consider one of these next time.

I am interested in their tank bag though. anyone know a vendor that sells it?

-MD

Fred W, take Hwy 38 [skalkaho Pass] from Georgetown to Grantsdale in Montana. It will test your packing skills. Zumo also died about a 1/3 of the way across. 32 Miles of gravel but well worth the run.

SO weights 124 pounds/5.4 tall. No room for back pad on the Givi 46 with my setup.

Jeff, those were the words right out of her mouth when she saw the post. ;)

SO weights 124 pounds/5.4 tall. No room for back pad on the Givi 46 with my setup.
What are you using for a mount? I've got the Premier Cycle rack and mounting hardware and it looks like it would work (my Wife won't even think about riding behind me).

Fred W, take Hwy 38 [skalkaho Pass] from Georgetown to Grantsdale in Montana. It will test your packing skills. Zumo also died about a 1/3 of the way across. 32 Miles of gravel but well worth the run.

Jeff, those were the words right out of her mouth when she say the post. ;)
Montana sounds like fun. I'd love to test my packing skills there... ;)

Your SO sounds similar in size to mine (110 lbs 5'0"), but my daughter is shaped a bit more like me (read: bigger) and she still has plenty of room and I have the bigger gel pad on it. I'm thinking it's a 1st gen vs 2nd gen thing.

I've seen the CooCases and the case itself looks fine. Not as solid as the Givi, but not like a problem. The real difference between the two makes is that the Givi comes with a solid steel rack. ymmv, but I regularly carry far more than what the FJR is supposed to have on the little luggage rack, and that is what the CooCase mounts on.

saread, I have the same setup your going to use. It will work great if you don't have a rider.

The trunk and plastic mounting base are easy to take on & off. The metal base plate that stays on does not detract from the looks of the bike.

I think the base plate says a max weight of 16.5 pounds but I have been well over that with no problems.

There is also a kit to wire up the light in the trunk. One of the forum members builds a better light setup than the offical kit.

I was just curious, it looks like there should be enough room for a 2nd. But, I don't ride 2up so I couldn't say for sure. The PCA rack is the way to go. I too have loaded mine up with no issues. Oddly, the famous no hands front end wobble appeared when I put the Givi on. I haven't tried it without the box since - too darn handy to live without. The only niggle I have is that the PCA rack doesn't support the Givi plug in. I haven't lighted mine because I'm afraid I'll pull the wiring out by mistake. Sometimes I ain't too bright. Still, the LED kit is nice and I'll probably do the SOLAS upgrade at a minimum.

I was just curious, it looks like there should be enough room for a 2nd. But, I don't ride 2up so I couldn't say for sure. The PCA rack is the way to go. I too have loaded mine up with no issues. Oddly, the famous no hands front end wobble appeared when I put the Givi on. I haven't tried it without the box since - too darn handy to live without. The only niggle I have is that the PCA rack doesn't support the Givi plug in. I haven't lighted mine because I'm afraid I'll pull the wiring out by mistake. Sometimes I ain't too bright. Still, the LED kit is nice and I'll probably do the SOLAS upgrade at a minimum.

What is a PCA mount? Can other hard top cases be mounted on it?