Cooling vests - compared and explained

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Veskimo"?....I don't like it one bit. I won't until I start seeing some royalties coming out of it.

Pffft...take my heritage and make money with it...who do these clowns think they are? :rolleyes:

Next thing you know they are going to try selling me ice..... :eek:

Just so you cheap buzzards won't feel left out, here ya go: Here's a guy that made his own circulation style cool shirt: DIY CLICKY

I can't confirm the quality of this project, but the pictures and descriptions are a great read. I think he said he invested about 100 bucks... The pictures below were copied from this DIY post. Check out the link above for the rest of the story

Screenshot2011-08-11at63617PM.png

Screenshot2011-08-11at63551PM.png

Screenshot2011-08-11at63642PM.png

Gary

darksider #44

---by the way, try a Google search of DIY cool shirt like I did. There's other stuff out there... I just picked the one (above) that seemed to have the most pictures and the best description of things like part numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - I think Bwana was referring to Texas Cool Vest (https://texascoolvest.com/). Although the technology looks somewhat similar.

Texas cool vest is based in Houston.
Yes, exactly. Looks to be the same tech including the phase change temp at 59F

A real trade off, the circulating vest looks good but it's yet another thing to plug in. Unless you hard wire it to the bike, it too has time limits on the batteries. I do like the idea of being able to stop at any Quick Rob and pick up ice. The best I can do it to carry a plastic bag along to fill with ice and water to re-freeze the packs. Which takes 20-30 minutes but you're still standing around in the heat waiting for it. Lunch stop maybe?

I find the CoolVest is sometimes almost too bulky under my 'Stitch. On the positive side, I have to make sure I keep my weight down or it won't fit inside the suit.

Wearing ATGATT is the best way to use either system. Like an electric vest in the cold, these systems rely on relatively still air inside your suit to keep your core temperature down. Direct opposite of the evaporitave systems

Have you pressed it into service yet? How does it work? As advertised?

Thanks for the write up!

A real trade off, the circulating vest looks good but it's yet another thing to plug in. Unless you hard wire it to the bike, it too has time limits on the batteries. I do like the idea of being able to stop at any Quick Rob and pick up ice. The best I can do it to carry a plastic bag along to fill with ice and water to re-freeze the packs. Which takes 20-30 minutes but you're still standing around in the heat waiting for it. Lunch stop maybe?
I find the CoolVest is sometimes almost too bulky under my 'Stitch.

Have you pressed it into service yet? How does it work? As advertised?
To answer your questions about the Veskimo, I ordered the **external plug** (along with the optional **lithium ion bat pack)** This external 12v power cord plugs right into the vest and then into one of the two 12v. power outlets I installed on the bike. To see a picture of my outlets... **CLICKY** Plugging (and unplugging) shouldn't be an issue. The water lines unplug quickly with **dry connect couplings** (link shows available extra set of couplings... same thing as provided already on vest). They're designed to be leakproof when disconnected. Since I like to stop every coupe hours to stretch, no problem. I didn't order the **cooler style reservoir,** but I wonder if it would fit in a large tank bag??? How "cool" would that be?

You spoke of bulky. That's one of the big reasons I chose the Veskimo. Only 1/4 inch thick. I can flip off the ON/OFF switch, disconnect the fittings and leave everything but the vest itself on the bike. The water in the tubes stays cold for a little while even without the circulation.

Your final question: yes I have pressed it into service. I chose the backpack because I'll be mowing the lawn and etc. with it as well as using it on the bike. It works as advertised. Flip that switch and you get real comfortable real fast.

Gary

darksider #44

Really appreciate the information in this thread. We returned last weekend from a road trip that went from July 16 to August 6 and included a long hot trek through Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and Indiana and Ohio during an "Extreme Heat Warning". We were wetting t-shirts in the bathroom sink at gas-stops about every 100 miles and that provided some relief, but next trip will include a proper cooling vest. Main thing is to stay hydrated and continually drink.

Excellent stuff Gary. With the Veskimo, if you get one of the coolers, how does it detach (or does it) in the event of a get-off? Pricey set-up, but looks pretty cool!
Hey Scoot,

Sorry it took so long to answer your questions. I wrote Veskimo customer service, and the letter below will explain the delay. Here is a copy of the owner's letter to me today.

Hi Gary,

The quick-disconnect fittings are not designed to release at any predetermined force. I don't have a definitive answer to your question regarding what happens because I don't know of anyone who has departed from their bike while connected to a Veskimo cooler. We do have a customer who fell over and smashed the inner container, and we replaced that for him at minimal cost.

My best guess is that the quick-disconnect fittings would simply detach from the cooler hoses, but I don't know the exact force required to do that because we haven't tested it. If I had to estimate I'd say somewhere in the 20 to 30 pound range.

Thanks,

Kurt

That certainly answered my questions, hopefully it answers both yours.

Gary

darksider #44

my health and meds do not get along well with heat and I live in Nawlins' !!!

I've found going with a fiber evap cooling vest and carrying multiple 16oz bottles filled with tap water, frozen overnight

I carry two of those $10 "six pack" Wal Mart ice chests...soft on the outside and hard plastic tub on the inside

4 bottles of frozen water in one ice chest, 2 bottles with food/fruit on top of them in other...1 gallon Wal Mart "flat" water bottle filled with ice then add water in side bag

I have to neopreme insulation holders clipped to tank bag, one big cup holder in middle...frozen 20oz bottle in cupholder that melts as I go

4 20oz frozen bottles can fit in a side bag with the "flat" gallon jug and one of the 6 pack ice chests...a couple more 16oz can squeeze in as well

not in the ice chest still lasts hours with ice remaining...I use those first before the frozen ones in an ice chest which last all day with ice

can drink or pour ice water down jacket to rejuvinate me and the vest at will...if all water poured, but ice remaining, take side bottle water clipped to tank bag to refill center bottle with ice remaining

When stopped for a time and before riding back home, open side bag, pour ice water in from gallon bottle, and soak cooling vest till full

the 16oz and 20oz bottles carried are just emptied soda or purified water bottles reused and filled with tap water

repeat any step as necessary

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for a report! It's 104 here today

Pffft! 111 here yesteday. And yes Howie, it's a dry freaking heat. :****:

Also broke a record for the overnight low two nights ago. Only got down to 92 degrees.

Sucks.

Then you oughta be thankful....it's been 95+ heat and 95+ humidity here in Cen.Fla. since MAY!!! :angry2:
Hey Radio. You can quit groanin' now. Relief is on the way in cent. Fla... Did you know that the average highs in Sept are ONE DEGREE less than August? Isn't that exciting?Gary

darksider #44

OK - here we go. The Veskimo finally arrived and I got to try it out while fixing my daughter's broken electric window on a miserable hot Florida afternoon. Here's a few pictures and opinions:

Out of the box: quality fabric and zipper, plastic lines are sewn in place on the inside of the vest. Material is kind of stretchy which is nice since ya want it to fit tight. Comes in several sizes, I chose the large. Notice that even with it pulled tight, it doesn't fit over my fat belly in the picture below.
Vesk1.jpg

So we adjust the 6 elastic straps (below). They are of high quality and the sewing is nicely done. Each strap has a little velcro "tie" to wrap around the loose end to keep everything neat and tight (not shown). Notice the large black tube to the right of the straps. That's the insulated water inlet and outlet hoses... together inside it. Notice also the tubes inside the fabric.
vesk2.jpg

Below, it's properly fitted and nice and snug. I left the straps hanging out so you can see how much adjustment there is. Afterwards I folded them and clipped them in place with the velcro strips provided. I'm wearing a t-shirt, but on those rotten hot days, bare skin works best. Are ya ready for this? Because the temperature of the tubes at the point where they touch your skin is around 60 degrees, it's VERY soothing when ya turn it on. Not cold or clammy or unnatural at all. Though the water is in the low 30's IN THE TUBE, the outside of the tube is right around 60: this info is found on the Veskimo (clicky here) website.
vesk3.jpg

I bought the backpack "cooler" unit for mine so I can use it around the house as well as on the bike. Below I'm charging the optional lithium ion battery pack. The quarter next to it shows the size. It lasts about 6 hours if you leave it on constantly. The less expensive standard battery pack uses either 10 rechargeable AA batteries, or 8 regular alkalines (not shown). It is about twice as big and twice as heavy, if that matters to ya.
vesk4.jpg

Here I'm getting ready to plug it in. You can see the plug and it's little locking clip. Easy to use. This is the same clip where ya plug the optional 12v cord to hook into the motorcycle electric system if ya want... thus saving the battery pack for when you're away from the bike.
vesk5.jpg

Here I'm tucking it into its pocket. You can also see the insulated water lines coming out of the side of the backpack unit. This is a well made insulated setup. The quick disconnect fittings are so simple. There are two: one inlet, one outlet. They are held tightly side by side so they're easy to deal with. Push the buttons on the side with one thumb, give em a little pull, and they release. Only a couple drops of water escape, and they don't leak a drop after that. Nice design.
vesk6.jpg

Below, I've closed the flap and it's done. This is the rear view of the backpack, the part that sits farthest away from you when you wear it.
vesk7.jpg

Here I'm opening the zippered pouch at the top of the backpack.
vesk8.jpg

Here I've thrown in some sun screen, my wallet, and it has a nice little clip for keys. Good size little pocket, good quality zipper.
vesk9.jpg

Next, I'm opening the insulated pocket where all water and ice will go. This is some great quality insulation, about 5/8 thick: read more about it on the website.
vesk10.jpg

Get it open.
vesk11.jpg

I've turned it right side up so ya can see how it opens. See the blue clip on top?
vesk12.jpg

Slide it open. It has a cord that holds on to it so it doesn't get lost. The two tubes you see are the water return lines. Inside the resevoir, the water goes out the bottom (where the pump is located) and back in these two lines at the top.
vesk13.jpg

Below, ya pour in the ice cubes and about a quart of cold water (it holds 4.4 quarts). The flexible plastic is pretty stout and looks like it's well designed and sturdy
vesk14.jpg

Or, you can load in up to four - 16.9 oz frozen water bottles if ya don't need the absolute maximum cooling capacity, but want the ice to last longer. Notice I removed the labels. Don't wanna take chances with contaminating the chamber for two reasons: not good for the pump, and I drink out of it. There's a hydration tube with a bite valve on the right shoulder strap.
vesk18.jpg

If you chose to use them, once all four of the bottles are in, throw in 32 oz of water and you're all set for up to about 2 hours, depending on three factors: how hot it is, how much exercise you are doing (which generates heat), and how well insulated the outside of the Veskimo is (you want it to absorb heat from your body, not the outside air).
vesk19.jpg

All closed up and ready to go. Notice the dark grey tube traveling along right shoulder strap in the two pictures below? That's the insulated hydration tube. Nice that it's insulated... keeps the water in it COLD and prevents sweating. Nicely designed bite valve, and it doesn't leak.
vesk15.jpg

Once I put on the vest, I put a regular leather vest over the top for insulation, then slip into the back pack. The pack is very adjustable and doesn't weigh much at all. The temp was just under 100 in the shade, humidity was wayyyy up there. You can also see the approximate size of the backpack unit here. Hard to see, but if you look carefully, you can see the bite valve for the hydration tube just below the front edge of the right sleeve of my t-shirt.
vesk16.jpg

Last, I'm off to work on the car. My daughter needed a new electric window unit. From the moment I turned it on, I never broke a sweat. I was out there in the heat working on that car for about an hour and a half. My daughter was out there with my garage fan pointed at her while she was handing me tools and such. She was groaning about how hot it was. My reply, "IT IS?"
vesk17.jpg

Notice the lines that appear up and down my leather vest? That's condensation, as it's REALLY humid, and the black leather vest doesn't insulate well enough against all the cold generated by the Veskimo. Need something a little more effective than a cheap leather vest, I guess. Any ideas? EDIT: I got myself a cheap nylon insulated vest... from a thrift store. I got a small, so the arm pits fit tight and keep the wind out. It works like a charm and helps the ice to last longer while keeping my hot carcass cooler.

Check out Veskimo's website for more information on all of their products. I especially enjoyed the FAQ page. Got any questions? You can email Kurt Jechel, the owner and creator of Veskimo. He's easy to talk to, will answer all your questions personally, and even knows a great deal about just about every cooling product on the market.

Gary
darksider or should I say coolsider #44

Wow... :blink: I thought we northerners had it rough, having to wear the heated gear in the cold.
I was wondering if the vest has the option to circulate HOT water...

Fred W said:
If you used an appropriate mixture of ETOH (C2H5OH) instead of water, then you'd really be onto something!
I'd drink to that!

Sorry, Fred, ya can't put FJR koolaid in the tank... water only. However, hot water for the colder months...I know that because of the thermal transfer coefficient (temp inside lines isn't the same as temp outside lines), "hot" water would have to be a good bit hotter inside the lines than outside to be effective. I'm sure the vest and the lines would handle it fine, but my concern would be the longevity of the pump, which no doubt is cooled by the water surrounding it. I'm just guessing here. Why not ask Kurt, the owner and designer of Veskimo? Go to the Veskimo (clicky) webpage, and click on "contact us." He got back with me the same day on most questions I asked. There's a phone number there as well, and he answered the phone when I called. Very helpful and informative.

Gary

Coolsider #44

When you finally do get a chance to ride with it, try it in 100+ temps and see how your hands and feet feel after a while. Mine felt like they were on fire although my core temp was just fine (Coolvest). Not unlike the reverse condition with an electric vest and having cold hands and feet.

Just curious if it's any different. I wouldn't expect it to be but ya never know