Cooling vests - compared and explained

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to rain on the 10% discount but...

If you join the newsletter here, you can get 20% off. Complete ActiveMSers vests and reviews here.

Hope this helps :)

-KJ

Members of ActiveMSers can save up to 20% on select cooling vests with reserved coupon codes. To get your discount, join today by signing up for our newsletter. NOTE: ActiveMSers has negotiated these discounts and has no other affiliation with these companies and receives no compensation or commission of any kind. Some vests were donated for testing purposes.

As I understand it the evaporative vests require air movement over the vest to work properly and I don't know if the 20 kph I average on my bicycle or the 25-30 kph I can average on the single track I ride on the WR is fast enough to make the evaporative vests work properly.
I just worked outside in the yard for 90 minutes in the 1 PM sweltering southern sun at 90F (no wind, and high humidity) while wearing my evaporative vest and it did an very good job of keeping me from over heating. What truly amazes me is that when I removed it the surface of my skin is very cold to the touch. It worked so well I am going to start wearing it every time I do yard work from now on. I bet it would work fantastic on a bike.

From https://www.timountain.com/:

"The Kul Lite Rider cooling vest has been used from Houston to Phoenix. Our Phoenix pro is quoted on our home page, but one of our Houston customers has another story. He called us wanting a guarantee that it would work in the humid conditions of the gulf coast. We knew it would work, we had a money back guarantee. He called back the next week to tell us how great it worked. Cool your skin off 15 degrees."

And this one:
HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling PEAK Cycling Vest

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up one of these from the Twisted Throttle folks at this weekend's BMW rally since they were 15% off. Like the fact it lasts for several days and it doesn't make you soggy. While I personally haven't tested the several days part, I can vouch for its effectiveness while riding home in 90F temps in stop and go traffic for an hour. Waaay better than my Hyperkewl that lasted maybe a couple of hours before drying out.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/macna-dry-cooling-vest

Picked up one of these from the Twisted Throttle folks at this weekend's BMW rally since they were 15% off. Like the fact it lasts for several days and it doesn't make you soggy. While I personally haven't tested the several days part, I can vouch for its effectiveness while riding home in 90F temps in stop and go traffic for an hour. Waaay better than my Hyperkewl that lasted maybe a couple of hours before drying out.
Excellent find. Can't wait to hear more on the effectiveness of this product. There is not a lot of review data out there on it so I am looking forward to hearing what you think about it (like how well it works while sitting in traffic). Certainly a unique new type of passive product. A little pricey but would be worth it if it works well.

I just ordered the Macna Cooling Vest from TwistedThrottle. I will pick it up in Buffalo on my way to NERDS and will have lots of opportunities to test it trail riding around here in August where it can get quite hot and very humid. Our heat waves typically only last a few days fortunately but since our trail rides are scheduled for every Thursday afternoon I wanted to have the gear on hand.

I also plan on using the vest on some of the scheduled group bicycle rides that I'm involved with. Hopefully I will be able to provide some feedback by the end of August as to the effectiveness of the vest.

I just ordered the Macna Cooling Vest from TwistedThrottle. I will pick it up in Buffalo on my way to NERDS and will have lots of opportunities to test it trail riding around here in August where it can get quite hot and very humid. Our heat waves typically only last a few days fortunately but since our trail rides are scheduled for every Thursday afternoon I wanted to have the gear on hand.I also plan on using the vest on some of the scheduled group bicycle rides that I'm involved with. Hopefully I will be able to provide some feedback by the end of August as to the effectiveness of the vest.
By all means keep us posted on your experiences.

I just ordered the Macna Cooling Vest from TwistedThrottle. I will pick it up in Buffalo on my way to NERDS and will have lots of opportunities to test it trail riding around here in August where it can get quite hot and very humid. Our heat waves typically only last a few days fortunately but since our trail rides are scheduled for every Thursday afternoon I wanted to have the gear on hand.I also plan on using the vest on some of the scheduled group bicycle rides that I'm involved with. Hopefully I will be able to provide some feedback by the end of August as to the effectiveness of the vest.
I am interested in hear more about this product. I am taking a 1400 mile trip in about 30 days.

Curious why they say this? "Even under thick leathers, this will work. However, Macna do not recommend using their product if you are participating in a sport. It has not been designed to take into account any sports like enduros or motocross. Just plain touring where your body does not make any additional movements."

1. Do you guys who have worn it think it is that restrictive of your movements?
  2. And it also says it uses "special crystals inside the vest to lower the temperature ... (50 - 59°F)". Do you think it is that much better than a simple wetted passive cooling vest?
  3. I also wonder how long the "special crystals" last and how much they cost to replace. Do they only last 2 or 3 days?
Mine lasts for about 4 hours before needing to be re-wetted. And I really do not mind getting a little wet. But if this vest works that much better it sounds like a great product.

If it's really that simple of a product (a vest capable of holding 1/2 liter of water with "special crystals") it won't be long before it is launched here in the states by 10 other vendors for $50 (hopefully).

I just ordered my vest and don't have it yet. Since I do plan on wearing mine when dirt biking I will be able to answer the question as to why the manufacturer did not recommend the vest for motocross. Right now things have cooled off nicely with highs in the low 20's Celsius (70'soF) but we will see some hot days in August if normal weather patterns hold.

The issue for me with evaporative cooling vests is the loss of effectiveness in high humidity. In my area when it gets hot it is usually very humid also. The other issue was the likelihood of the evaporative vests getting mould which some folks have reported. The Macna vest being a phase cooling technology vest does not have these issues plus I can wear my full leathers that don't breathe well and still be cooled by the vest.

Looks like ultimatemotorcycling.com is down right now.

It was working a couple hours ago.

Their review did not talk about three things:

1. Restricted movement, and
  2. How long the crystals last, and
  3. How to recharge after it runs out

EG 23232, how is the build quality, like seams and elastic, straps, fabric, etc? You've got one, so we'd like to know.

So glad to see that this thread has been revived. Many of you are looking into, and buying the MACNA COOLING VEST. From the info provide in the link above, it says there's no gel in this vest.

However, FJR Pilot above states, "And it also says it uses "special crystals inside the vest to lower the temperature ... (50 - 59°F)". Do you think it is that much better than a simple wetted passive cooling vest?"

In my research, provided earlier in this thread: CLICKY, I documented a group of cooling vests known as "phase change." They use a type of crystal that when soaked in ice water, they solidify, and keep a constant temp of 53-59 (if I recall) depending on their formulation. Check out the RCPM website here CLICKY2 for typical info about these.

However, this Macna vest isn't soaked in ice water, though the temperature quote above, and the mention of "crystals" makes me wonder. Is this something brand new that we've not seen before? The review talks of filling the bladder through a fill hole, sorta like our beloved CamelBaks... with 500 ml of water (about 2 cups or approx. 17 oz). It mentioned messaging the water into the bladder if you're wearing it when filling. I'm REALLY curious here.

I spent about 40 minutes reading everything I can find about it, but most of what's out there as of today, July 29, is either repetitive, geared toward sales, or posted in foreign language.

PLEASE READ THIS:

There's a website that gives a really thorough review of the different types of cooling vests. It's primarily for folks who have MS, as they have a difficult time trying to stay active when it's warm. This site is totally unbiased and well written.

Here it is:
CLICKY

Gary

darksdier #44

I got a miracool vest 2 years ago prior to my trip to Kali that year. Didn't have to use it...even in Death Valley.

Fast forward to this summer...got a second vest so wifey and I could both have vests in Mid-July in hot places like Moab, UT and Zion, NP, etc. I got the vests primed, and used them one day out of the trip. Our biggest question, and the biggest hassle, is how do you guys keep your cooling vests clean and "fresh" on a 2 week hot trip? Keeping them in ziplock plastic bags on a hot day (but not hot enough to put them on)...they had a "funky" odor by the end of the day. I spent much time during this two week trip getting the vests out at motels at the end of the day, rinsing the bags and hanging up the vests to mitigate the growth of "funk"/mold.

What do the rest of you guys do? Seems like the heat and moisture are working to try and get the cooling vests moldy.

Never ever store a wet vest in a plastic bag...it will grow bacteria. If you decide to use it, wet before you wear it, if you take it off, just rap it (in a towel) and store, but not in a plastic bag. That's my $.02...

I got a miracool vest 2 years ago prior to my trip to Kali that year. Didn't have to use it...even in Death Valley.
Fast forward to this summer...got a second vest so wifey and I could both have vests in Mid-July in hot places like Moab, UT and Zion, NP, etc. I got the vests primed, and used them one day out of the trip. Our biggest question, and the biggest hassle, is how do you guys keep your cooling vests clean and "fresh" on a 2 week hot trip? Keeping them in ziplock plastic bags on a hot day (but not hot enough to put them on)...they had a "funky" odor by the end of the day. I spent much time during this two week trip getting the vests out at motels at the end of the day, rinsing the bags and hanging up the vests to mitigate the growth of "funk"/mold.

What do the rest of you guys do? Seems like the heat and moisture are working to try and get the cooling vests moldy.
I threw away my Miracool.

The Miracool is one of the vests with sparse but very thick bands of crystal. I had two; molded up and would not dry out. Bleach didn't help.

Get something like the Hyperkewl; the crystals are more even spaced, thinner, and easier to dry out. But they cost more.

I'm Jealous! Two friends & I rented Harleys in 2009 at SLC HD and rode all over UT and Grand Canyon for 10 days. Fabulous trip. The east tunnel entrance & dropping down into Zion blew my mind! Hope to do that whole trip again before I croak.

About the only way to mitigate mold is going to be to dry it out after use. Most hotel room AC units should output a stream low humidity air (a steady breeze) so if you can somehow hang it in front of that it would dry faster than hanging over somewhere else (like the tub).

I threw away my Miracool.

The Miracool is one of the vests with sparse but very thick bands of crystal. I had two; molded up and would not dry out. Bleach didn't help.

Get something like the Hyperkewl; the crystals are more even spaced, thinner, and easier to dry out. But they cost more.
Pay attention guys. This is important information.

On another note, I am copying here for you to see my email and the response I rec'd concerning the Macna cooling vest from Twisted Throttle. Here it is:

Dave.

First let me thank you for the hard work you put into your research. I wrote, and have been maintaining, a research thread on cooling vests on... fjrforum.com ...2 years ago.As a motorcycle forum, we're interested in things like this. I've listed your website as a tool for learning about cooling vests and have given links to your site as well.
Recently, it seems there's a new vest - that appears to be a new technology - that I'd like you to check out. It seems to be something brand new that doesn't fit neatly into any of the categories you've researched. Please see my cooling vest thread through the following link and scroll down the page to see the additional info given about this new vest. Could you let me know what you think asap?

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/139799-cooling-vests-compared-and-explained/?p=1082612

Thanks.

Gary House

Dear Gary,

Great thread. At first it appears to be a variation on an evaporative cooling vest, but not if the water doesn't evaporate. Then I thought maybe it's a hybrid, like the ArcticHeat vest except without the precooling. That doesn't quite fit either. I'm guessing it works by absorbing body heat; similar to these:https://www.firstlinetech.com/products/phase-core/. These types of room-temp phase change passive vests are hard to test, because measuring temperature doesn't work. I don't know how effective they are, but I'll see if I can include them in my next battery of tests (probably next year). Super find!

Dave Bexfield

505-890-1764

Never ever store a wet vest in a plastic bag...it will grow bacteria. If you decide to use it, wet before you wear it, if you take it off, just rap it (in a towel) and store, but not in a plastic bag. That's my $.02...
+1.. on multi-day trips I wash and rinse the MIra Cool off with slightly soapy water every evening and let it hang on a hanger because you still sweat in it and get road grime on it so rinsing it keeps the funk away.

I've never had mine smell or mold up, thankfully.

BUT after spending hours bicycle riding with a lot of different folks I can tell you for sure that some peoples sweat is much more toxic than others. Some peoples sweat will eat just about everything on a bicycle.