Cooling vests

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grabbed the "MiraCool Poncho" from ridecool.com last week (in the macho beige)

https://www.ridecool.com/catalog_EvapVests.htm#poncho

It showed up a couple of days later.

Tried it out today. Pretty sweet. Wasn't overly hot out, so it's tough to give an accurate report, but it kind of felt like air conditioning in my jacket, which is black, unfortunately. Anyways, my head and arms were still hot. Torso felt nice though....

FWIW.

Most of the discussion so far in this thread is about evaporative cooling vests. Another option to consider are the so called "phase change" vests. I have one of these from Glacier Tek and really like it.
Thanks for mentioning these, bwmhd. I was looking at these, too. Seems a bit more expensive than the RideCool product from the site FJRJeff posted, and has a slightly lower phase change temperature than the Texas Cool Vest that pawtracks mentioned. Which model did you get? Classic Cool Vest or Original Cooling Vest?
I also wanted to know if you felt the Cool Pack Set actually recharges quickly enough or if one would have to have a spare set and swap them out at each gas stop. So how long are your gas stops? :)

I also wanted to know if you felt the Cool Pack Set actually recharges quickly enough or if one would have to have a spare set and swap them out at each gas stop. So how long are your gas stops? :)
If you've got money to burn, a spare set would be OK but not a must have. (~$120 for a spare set)

What I do is grab a large cup of ice or two or even a small bag of ice if they have it.

I keep a small zippered cooler in my trunk (which might even fit in one of the side bags) it holds all 4 of the phase change packs. I throw in the ice and about 1 liter of water take off after gassing up if I am going to be there less than 20-30 minutes which is usually the case. Then I pull over for a few minutes about an hour down the road to throw the vest on. Depending on the temp I find it good for 1.5-3 hours, usually good for the hotest part of the day.

FWIW I think both companies use the exact same phase change packs. One says 65F, other 59F (apples/oranges/advertising). You probably can't go wrong with either.

If one were to get a spare set you would still have the issue of stopping for ice unless someone found a trunk mounted ice maker to keep the spare set "frozen" :) (now there's a farkle)

I have the joe Rocket and I really like it. I have the FirstGear mesh jacket. I keep the vest presoaked in a 1 gallon zip-lock bag. (double bagged) If I need the cooling I can throw it on. In the high heat it will last ~3 hours. I wear a wicking shirt underneath which will dry quickly after stopping. You do get a bit damp. But that is exactly what you want. You will really appreciate it in Reno... Believe me!

I have been known to stop by clear running rivers and streams to re-wet it. I have also been known to drag a dripping wet vest through the convenience stores along the way! But I usually use some of the water from my Camelback and the baggies to soak it down.

I do really like the cooling vest. And would recomend one. It is just as important to my riding fun as my heated vest. Both go with me everywhere I go...

John

I hate riding in hot weather, but do these things really work well enough to justify the hassle of recharges, carrying extra gear, etc.?

I hate riding in hot weather, but do these things really work well enough to justify the hassle of recharges, carrying extra gear, etc.?

Based on my first usage of the evaporative cooling vest I got, yes, it works, and it's not much hassle, and doesn't take up much space when it's dry.

Can't speak to the phase change, but I've read they work well - I just went the cheapo route this time.

Most of the discussion so far in this thread is about evaporative cooling vests. Another option to consider are the so called "phase change" vests. I have one of these from Glacier Tek and really like it.
Thanks for mentioning these, bwmhd. I was looking at these, too. Seems a bit more expensive than the RideCool product from the site FJRJeff posted, and has a slightly lower phase change temperature than the Texas Cool Vest that pawtracks mentioned. Which model did you get? Classic Cool Vest or Original Cooling Vest?
I got the Classic vest. The phase change vests are not ideal for all day rides where time is critical. It takes 20 to 30 min in ice water to recharge the packs which really is too long for a single stop. Sticking the ice in one saddle bag and stopping again a few miles down the road is a good solution.

The real win for the PC vests is daily commuting in stop-n-go traffic. They keep you cool when you're not moving and don't make your clothes damp like some of the evap vests do. I also use mine for yard work and if I have to work in the attic during the summer.

TuffRhino is shipping on order day, for those interested in this vest. Had heard they were on back order, this is not the case. Will have mine friday.

TuffRhino is shipping on order day, for those interested in this vest. Had heard they were on back order, this is not the case. Will have mine friday.
Probably referring to my early comment...

They may be backordered... I placed my order on the net with a CC on Monday... still haven't gotten any shipping info. from them... sent an email yesterday.
Subsequently learned they had shipped and mine should show up Friday as well...

I tried to order one from "TuffRhino", but their website would not process my order unless I spent more than $25.00. The vest itself was only $20 on sale, plus $10 for shipping and they still wouldn't allow me to "checkout".

Radman, did you have any problem ordering? What gives?

Order a couple of the neck wraps for ~$3 each... that gets you up to $26ish and the order will process. Yes, they have a minimum order amount of $25.

I tried to order one from "TuffRhino", but their website would not process my order unless I spent more than $25.00. The vest itself was only $20 on sale, plus $10 for shipping and they still wouldn't allow me to "checkout".
I ordered the regular Mira Cool for $31.50. Looks to offer a little better coverage than the budget item.

Last edited by a moderator:

I ordered the regular Mira Cool for $31.50. Looks to offer a little better coverage than the budget item.

Cool (ha!). I'll order the one for $31.50, since I don't really need any "do rags". :D Thx!