Coolweather gear report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This past Christmas, Santa Claus brought me some Tusk hand guards. They're stiff nylon fabris with a furry lining. Simple install right over the handlebars. A nylon strap secures them in place approximately over the brake and clutch reserviors. I did have to remove my V-Strom hand guards to make the Tusk ones fit. I'm happy to report that the Tusk guards are very effective. With my grips on 'LO' setting I can wear my thin (most comfortable) summer gloves and still have warm hands. Temp during test today was about 34 degrees.

I'll post up a photo when I can find my camera.

Also got a chance to try out the new Tourmaster Synergy Jacket. It is muck more comfortable than my old Widder vest. I like the 3 heat settings available on the controller. And I must say having heat on my arms is a very welcome improvement over the vest. My arms are much more exposed to the airflow than my torso.

Two thumbs up for both items.

Happy Spring!

This past Christmas, Santa Claus brought me some Tusk hand guards. They're stiff nylon fabris with a furry lining. Simple install right over the handlebars. A nylon strap secures them in place approximately over the brake and clutch reserviors. I did have to remove my V-Strom hand guards to make the Tusk ones fit. I'm happy to report that the Tusk guards are very effective. With my grips on 'LO' setting I can wear my thin (most comfortable) summer gloves and still have warm hands. Temp during test today was about 34 degrees.
Hi FJReady,

I've not seen these hardguards. How stiff are they? Any trouble with wind pressure causing the guard to push back into the brake lever, activating the brake lights?

Good question. I don't know the answer yet. I'll have someone follow me and check it out. Acouple guys I ride with use these in the cooler parts of the season and I've followed them and didn't ever notice brake light behavior out of the ordinary. But they are riding Connies, one C10 and one C14. My Calsci windshield does seem to deflect air around my handle bars fairly well, but I'll check it out to be sure I don't have and issue.

Thanks for asking- I'll let you know.