Corbin Heated Seat Option

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buf2phx

Reaction score
Any Gen 2 owners have a Corbin seat with the heat option? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm gonna try the stock seat out for a while, but if I don't like it I'll get a Corbin. I love the one I have on my 95 Seca II.

Mike

Lots of comments on Corbin.

I'ved owned about 6 other Corbins and this FJR one is the least comfortable of them; but better than stock. The heat is nice and worth it. But it gets really hot so you end up having to toggle it on/off every 10 min. Too bad they do not have a low setting.

Lots of comments on Corbin.I'ved owned about 6 other Corbins and this FJR one is the least comfortable of them; but better than stock. The heat is nice and worth it. But it gets really hot so you end up having to toggle it on/off every 10 min. Too bad they do not have a low setting.

Just looked at their site again. They say some of the heated seats have a hi/lo switch, and some are just on/off. I sent them an e-mail to clarify what the latest FJR seats are shipping with. I'll post the answer.

I knew there would be a lot of comments about the seats in general, but I'm looking for feedback about the heaters specifically. Everyone has their own personal favorite seat maker, and whatever works for you is great. Based on my current Corbin, I'm sticking with them.

Mike

Mike

If you like Corbin, then get it. Corbin makes a fine product.

Heat is very nice even here in SF Bay. Get the on/off one. Don't spend extra money on an unworkable switch, buy a Heat Troller (the one for heated grips) and mount it in your bike's tupperware. Use a GM Weatherpak connector to tie into the wire coming out of your seat pan. That's what I did with my Bill Mayer Saddle. One of the best additions I have on my bike. The neat thing about my set up is the heat pad warms up the seat in about 10 minutes of riding at 10% on time on the 'Troller. I get just the heat I want at a minimal hit on my bike's charging system.

If you get the Hi/Low switch the power draw is always on full. Either the pad burns all the amps, or the switch steals half of it away with a resistor. You will end up too hot or will turn it on and off yourself to regulate the heat. Let the Heat Troller do that for you.

Enjoy.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the heated seats and ride often in sub freezing temperatures. To be honest, I find the seat gets way too hot. I wear a heated liner and heated gloves and dont feel the seat gives much additional warmth. Save the money on the heat option for the seat and just buy a heated liner and grips/gloves. YOu'll get much more even warming from a liner than a seat will ever provide.

I don't have a Corbin, but I did get the heated option when I had my Russell seat built. I wouldn't give it up for anything. I ride year-round in Darien pants; summer with LDComfort shorts under, and cooler weather with either running tights or fleece pants. I've ridden down to freezing temps with the Darien's and shorts only because of the seat. The element in the Russell is on or off and cycles as needed. I've never had it get so hot I've had to turn it off (unless the outside temps increased).

I say go for it. If it's not there you can't use it, but you can always opt to not turn it on. Kinda like bringing along extra clothing in the winter or rain-gear in the summer.

I don't have an aftermarket seat for my bike as yet. Since I live and ride in Texas, I'd like to wait for the seat that would be cooled down instead of heated. Has anyone seen one like that ? Riding in 100 degree temperature with the humidity at 90 + % it would make a big difference. I guess I would just have to look into getting the cool vests gear.

I don't have an aftermarket seat for my bike as yet. Since I live and ride in Texas, I'd like to wait for the seat that would be cooled down instead of heated. Has anyone seen one like that ? Riding in 100 degree temperature with the humidity at 90 + % it would make a big difference. I guess I would just have to look into getting the cool vests gear.
Take a look at the Russell with velour inserts. Not cooled per se, but cooler than leather or vinyl. Yes, I have one. Yes, I like it a LOT.

I wouldn't know about the heated part as it hits 110 degrees here in the summer and doesn't snow, but I bought my first Corbin recently, had to send it back once because of problems, but when I finally got to use it WOW!!. I have always felt that I was riding on top of my FJR until I put this seat on. It seems to lower my center of gravity on the bike and changed the whole feel of my fjr riding experience. The seat felt like a rock at first, but with the change in feedback on the bike I didn't really care. I finally took it on the road recently (just day trip) and with the addition of my sheepskin cover, was very comfy, and had a blast with the cornering difference in the bike. I liked my FJR before, but now, WOW!! I LOVE my bike. :yahoo: :clapping:

I have an 08 and put the Corbin heated seats on last fall, works great, not to hot just warm for me, the wifey likes the passenger seat as well with the backrest.

I sold my car so I could justify the purchase of the FJR. The plan is to ride year round. I'm not sure if I'll really get enough use out of the heater to justify the extra expense. The only part that sucks is that if I decide in January that I'd like to have the heated seat, I probably won't actually get it before it's too warm to need it. :p

Mike

Mike

It's a very nice option to have when the temperature drops. Especially if you get caught away from home without your warm clothing some cold night. Properly installed it will not get in the way, and you don't have to use it. It's just one more item that makes being without a car bearable.

You don't need a heated seat. It's probably going to cost you another 150 dollars to have Corbin put it in. If you decide to control it with a Heat Troller thats another 80 dollars, plus the time to install it. It's your bike, fix it up the way you want it. In the end you have to justify to yourself the money you put into it to make it suit you. Most people are very happy with the bike without this farkle.

Your choice.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator: