Corbin Modular '06 '07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timalan

Reaction score
anyone shell out the over 700 bucks for the new front and rear Modular Corbin. OH and was it worth it?

I want this seat but with out a satisfaction money back if I dont' like it..... Man that is a lot of money for a seat you might like.

I tried a Corbin on my bike when I was at Myrtle Bike Week a few weeks ago. I liked the way it felt, but like you, I was reluctant to shell out the cash without a money back return policy. I'm hoping Sargent will be at Americade next week and I get a chance to try it on for size.

I've had my corbin for about 8 months now. I like it alot. its much better than stock. Corbins are hard seats though. you feel the bumps a bit more that you would with a more cushioned unit. i choose the seat because of what it does to the bikes overall seat height. Takes about 1000 miles to get it broke in. I'll be purchasing the passenger and backrest next. its a great look, very comfortable for long rides, but expensive as hell. Thats why i didnt purchase it all in one shot.

If your short its a great way to go. Theres no way your going to get a guarentee on it though. if the seat is made incorrectly , they will repair it (which happened to me when they sent me a seat with the wrong covering on it). corbins have to be broke in, so theres no way your going to know for sure untill you have it for a while. . They mold to your butt over time. you do have an option though. if you didnt like it, i'm sure you could easily sell it for a small loss on the forum. Its a risk i was willing to take. No other seat will get you down into the bike like these modular corbins.

GreyGoose

I've had my corbin for about 8 months now. I like it alot. its much better than stock. Corbins are hard seats though. you feel the bumps a bit more that you would with a more cushioned unit. i choose the seat because of what it does to the bikes overall seat height. Takes about 1000 miles to get it broke in. I'll be purchasing the passenger and backrest next. its a great look, very comfortable for long rides, but expensive as hell. Thats why i didnt purchase it all in one shot.
If your short its a great way to go. Theres no way your going to get a guarentee on it though. if the seat is made incorrectly , they will repair it (which happened to me when they sent me a seat with the wrong covering on it). corbins have to be broke in, so theres no way your going to know for sure untill you have it for a while. . They mold to your butt over time. you do have an option though. if you didnt like it, i'm sure you could easily sell it for a small loss on the forum. Its a risk i was willing to take. No other seat will get you down into the bike like these modular corbins.

GreyGoose
Are you sayin it sits lower?

How Far?

I am only 5'6" for the sake of pete. Now I am interested!

and at about 350 miles I have had it with the stock seat. Sunday we rode just short of 300 miles and my wife got off the bike there are two dents where her pelvis bones ride. I said man you left two dents in the seat and she said yep... that is right where it hurts. I like to ride further when I go ride. and so does she but, we'll need better a$$ support for anything longer than a painful 500 miles or so.

I have one & find that while being shorter (thinner) it did not get my feet closer to the ground since it seems to be wider. . . I hear you can order one "shaved" in the front to help get the feet down a bit. . . I have about 10000 miles on the seat now.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyGoose

How Far?

and at about 350 miles I have had it with the stock seat. Sunday we rode just short of 300 miles and my wife got off the bike there are two dents where her pelvis bones ride. I said man you left two dents in the seat and she said yep... that is right where it hurts. I like to ride further when I go ride. and so does she but, we'll need better a$$ support for anything longer than a painful 500 miles or so.
Its definitly lower. I know i've dropped an inch. i got the nose shaved and had it lowered an additional smidge. i went from tiptoes to the balls of my feet. Thats pretty substantial for me. Corbin is the only seat i know of (including the new sargent) that can successfully do this. I dont doubt that there are more comfortable seats out there, but for us vertically challenged, this is no brainer compared to the others. Price aint easy to swallow, but if it prevents you from tipping over or if it gets your significant other to take a few more rides a year, its worth it weight in gold (IMHO). Damn thing looks great on the bike also. Mine is finally breaking in after 1500 miles (which is pretty typical for a corbin).

GreyGoose

GreyGoose

How Far?

Its definitly lower. I know i've dropped an inch. i got the nose shaved and had it lowered an additional smidge. i went from tiptoes to the balls of my feet. Thats pretty substantial for me. Corbin is the only seat i know of (including the new sargent) that can successfully do this. I dont doubt that there are more comfortable seats out there, but for us vertically challenged, this is no brainer compared to the others. Price aint easy to swallow, but if it prevents you from tipping over or if it gets your significant other to take a few more rides a year, its worth it weight in gold (IMHO). Damn thing looks great on the bike also. Mine is finally breaking in after 1500 miles (which is pretty typical for a corbin).

GreyGoose
I really don't have trouble gettin the SO to go riding. It's the only thing that keeps us sane.... anyway...

Got any Pictures of that Shaved Nose lowered seat on the bike????? Would love to see them.

Timalan

Some pics of mine from an old thread..........Lowered and shaved..........

2856628-mvc-058s.jpg

2856629-mvc-059s.jpg

2856631-mvc-060s.jpg

anyone shell out the over 700 bucks for the new front and rear Modular Corbin. OH and was it worth it?I want this seat but with out a satisfaction money back if I dont' like it..... Man that is a lot of money for a seat you might like.
I bit the bullet last year. Bought the corbin seat and backrest. Expensive yes. Worth it...yes. World of difference between that and the stock seat. I also love the way the backrest goes on and off, easy, quick and have had no complaints from the riders. I can't speak for the sargeant seats, my choice was corbin also due to the backrest option.

g

Well, I have a Corbin for my 2006 AE. And to be blunt, it's the biggest waste of $1,100. I have the rider and passenger seat plus back rest.

While I probably should look into the "nose job" it didn't change my overall stance compared to the stock seat.

My biggest complaint about the Corbin is the fact that it is sooooo slick. Every time I stop I'm slamming... that area.... into the tank.

But for the back rest for my fiancee I would have sold this seat 4,000 miles ago.

Just my $.02.

If you really want a seat that is tailor made for you check out Bill Mayer Saddles. https://www.billmayersaddles.com/ They make the seat higher or lower and accommodate just about request you have. I can't say enough nice things about them and their service.
I have a Corbin on my 06, can I tell you it's the greatest ever? No! Can I say it's a lot better than the stock seat? Yes! Can I say this seat got me closer to the ground by more than about 1/2"? No! Like anything else, if you spend money on something you don't like you'll never be happy no matter what it is. The huge issue here is the fact you have to do a lot of research before making the final pick on a seat. If you are lucky enough to find a place where you can actually plant your ass on the seat and try it out before you purchase it, by all means do it! The two things to remember about buying a seat, 1) If you ride a passenger all of the time (wife) if they aren't comfortable it will be coming off faster than it went on, one must keep the big boss happy. 2) Seats are like opinions, everyone has one.

If you find a seat you love but it cost more than another you don't like as well, do yourself a favor and buy the one you you love. This attitude will save you money in the end, you won't be so unhappy with one that cost less you'll have to turn right around and sell that one, take a loss, and then end up buying the one you really wanted in the first place. For what all of these seats are going for I'm sure you can find a supplier or a shop that can and will produce for you exactly what you want, don't just settle for what's in front of you. A custom shop is definitely the way to go (if you are fortunate to have one near you) for all of the rest of us, we'll have to rely on others to assist us in making the best decision possible.

Just my experience in the matter, ride safe.

Clutchless1

if you're anywhere near either coast, stop by corbin's factory and they'll spend the day custom fitting your seat to you. i believe they even buy you lunch ;)

i had a corbin on my wide glide and absolutely loved it. it's going to take a lot to convince me not to get one for the new fjr..

One thing I have always been unhappy with Corbin is their customer service. I have had 5 of their seats and after the last one I am done with them. Horrible at return e-mails even on their order status e-mail. All I got was, "we are very busy". Well that is great, but if you want to stay that way, take care of your customers. I called 3 times and it was not until the last call that I was able to speak to someone live. The recording just said how busy they were.

A good friend of mine bought a custom seat for his Yamaha Venture. Seat did not fit properly at all. He sent them pictures, etc and they would not even pay for the return shipping. They told him to send it back and they would make it right (at his expense - both ways). Seat came back and was no better. No one ever responded to his repeated e-mails.

Bottom line - In my opinion - If it is ok from the beginning you are ok, but if you have a problem good luck. I have a dealer friend in FL who has been waiting for 7 months for three seats to be made properly. 3 times and all three times the seats were made wrong. He has threatened them with a website - corbinsucks.com not sure if he is going to move forward with it.

I am not trying to be negative, just letting you know what I have experienced.

I can attest to Corbin fitting issues. The best way to buy a Corbin is being willing to fit it yourself. I had to spend an hour fitting (few washers, some bending, some drilling to enalrge holes) the one on my Suzuki, but it fitted like a glove when I was done. Without having the bike in front of them, returning a seat can be an expensive propositon, not to mention time consuming. A fellow BMW rider had his returned 4 times, and after many months, was finally happy. He could have spent an hour working on it himself. I know it should be done right the first time, but that's the reality about Corbin. I also hate their bricks of a base, but again, it's a compromise.

I checked the Sargent, and didn't like how it looks, so might end up with a Corbin myself as well. Corbins are too hard for my skinny ass, and Sargents too soft. Geez. As long as Corbin doesn't lower me much, I'd order one. Asked them directly how lower are their seats where you plant your butt, and no answer yet. Take care gang.

JC

GreyGoose

How Far?

Put a Corbin front on my 07 a few weeks ago. As it comes from the factory, it only lets you sit about 3/4" lower. The trick is to send it back (or order it, with a "nose job"/ This seems to lower the seating position a total of about 1 and 1/2". However, mine is not broken in yet and I have been told it will drop about another 1/2" inch as it conforms to you.