Corbin Received and Fitted on Gen III--Lower and *Nice*

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Wanted to lower my ride height for my 30" inseam. Also ordered the seat with a "nose job" to ensure narrow at the front after the rep said that some say they are wider than stock. I didn't know which fabric/welt/piping/color to order so I said "like the pic on your site". I'm happy with the seat aesthetics. I will say though, the seat, especially the passenger seat, is quite a bit heavier than stock. Probably that "comfort foam"....:cool:

To my surprise the seat fit with no modification, though I did have to pound the rider seat toward the tank with the heel of my hand so the rear posts found the holes. With this the loop fits nicely centered on the latch. I do have to push down on the seat as I flip the lever to release the latch, but works consistently well. Note in the last two pics below how the forward most part of the Corbin seat actually fits better and looks better by filling up the stock plastic indention better than the stock seat....

I removed the plastic stock seat riser easily enough and I didn't know you could run the seat without it. In this way though the seat wobbles a bit, as though it's not meant to be used that way...:cool: Also, comparing the stock seat without riser to Corbin, the Corbin feels better, and is actually narrower for less leg separation.

Below are some pics, including comparative seat heights using a level and measuring tape on stock with riser on low setting and Corbin--WITH BIKE ON CENTER STAND.

Ride impressions to follow--someday after some miles on seat.

Pics:

Stock rider seat with Corbin Passenger:

FD14E390-DF68-467E-AE69-3609C3CB3832-899-0000004A4B3C50CF_zps1d217b24.jpg

Both Corbins:

8CD948B0-E329-4BC0-91DC-184FAE4F547E-899-0000004A4E8E9603_zps951e97d7.jpg

687E3434-9E2A-43D0-9657-80C9ABC5F0A4-899-0000004A51A615CC_zps3cc3c2e7.jpg

1AF49795-F375-42AB-AAEC-C02985B353E5-899-0000004A54AD7B21_zps11f54519.jpg

AF756A02-C74D-479E-A01B-2EFF0FDE80B7-899-0000004A57B9DBB7_zps5c1b4f45.jpg

Stock seat height on center stand with riser in low position:

CB5F9C3A-68C7-4CA6-A0EB-232C0994D221-899-0000004A5FD8D3D1_zps89ac1ec6.jpg

Corbin seat height on center stand:

E36AF8FA-6585-4066-B64B-425BF4360324-899-0000004A5D0D586D_zpse809aac6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same set-these are great seats..and they get more comfortable as they break in.

Nice looking saddles. Does that 3/4 inch help enough? Enjoy.
It does. Not sure what the difference is between the two when laden with rider weight, but yes, it seems to give me a little more reach in my boots, partly the height and partly what seems like narrower between the thighs.

I have had mine on for three years now and even the wife doesn't complain any more.
smile.png
As far as the latching I shimmed the loop with small washers, makes the latching better, no force required.
rolleyes.gif

OK Pseudo-Fed, you pushed me over the edge. After seeing your report, great pics and reading the other members endorsements, I went to Corbins website and ordered a new seat for my 06 FJR. This has been a long journey for me. I've done the bead rider, the air hawk and last year made the big investment by purchasing a Russell all day long. I do love my Russell. It truly is a all day long seat. BUT when I get into the twisties it forces me to alter my riding style so I can't get comfortable and enjoy the ride. I tend to lean forward and slightly lean off in the tighter corners and the Russell seat pocket (cup) and the wings don't allow this. As other forum members have suggested, I've tried to change by pulling myself forward in the tighter stuff but find I'm holding myself up via the handle bars, putting too much pressure on them. So my journey in search of a perfect seat continues. I do have a plan though, the Corbin for short, spirited rides and the Russell for the long ones.

OK Pseudo-Fed, you pushed me over the edge. After seeing your report, great pics and reading the other members endorsements, I went to Corbins website and ordered a new seat for my 06 FJR. This has been a long journey for me. I've done the bead rider, the air hawk and last year made the big investment by purchasing a Russell all day long. I do love my Russell. It truly is a all day long seat. BUT when I get into the twisties it forces me to alter my riding style so I can't get comfortable and enjoy the ride. I tend to lean forward and slightly lean off in the tighter corners and the Russell seat pocket (cup) and the wings don't allow this. As other forum members have suggested, I've tried to change by pulling myself forward in the tighter stuff but find I'm holding myself up via the handle bars, putting too much pressure on them. So my journey in search of a perfect seat continues. I do have a plan though, the Corbin for short, spirited rides and the Russell for the long ones.
Cool. If you are vertically challenged like me and want maximum leg reach it is important you call them and get "nose job" and "seat narrowing" added to special build instructions. This supposedly made it special, but didn't cost extra except a couple weeks build time. Many have complained about Corbin customer service but I found them responsive, and I'm not a patient type.

Looks good. How's it feel at the end of a 1000 mile day?
Have no idea and may never know. Longest day I can see is maybe 400-500 miles and that's if I can convince the wife to go somewhere. Otherwise 200 miles to Austin, maybe a little further to Mom in New Braunfels. Didn't buy her for long touring but more commuting, local shooting matches, and maybe the occasional shooting match 300-400 miles away, for all of which I need to carry a lot of crap.

I'm in north Fort Worth (Keller) by Cabelas. Where are you?

I have the same set-these are great seats..and they get more comfortable as they break in.
Haven't ridden it yet, but from sitting on it I HOPE it gets a little softer as I ride it....
Got the same Corbin on my '07...took me almost 3,000 Arss Numbing miles to break it in but now it sits wonderfully...very comfy! Great seat!

The wife and I did 860 miles on one day in blistering heat on the way home from NAFO last year. There were no issues with the backside for either of us. I told her we just need to go 140 more for a SS1000. She said no!

Haven't ridden it yet, but from sitting on it I HOPE it gets a little softer as I ride it....

You won't find that the seat gets softer, more that you get used to it and grow into it. I've had both the Corbin and Sargent variants on my SV650 and love them. At first they were both quite uncomfortable, as they were both very firm (almost hard). But, unlike the crappy OEM seats, they held that shape, were wide, and were flat. The OEM foam, while soft, collapses too easily, is too narrow, and isn't wide enough to support your weight.

The Corbin and Sargent seats will mold to your ass over time; that's their strength. After about 400 miles of break-in riding on my Sargent, I could put four hours on it at a time and be comfy, and THAT's on an SV.

Good looking seat.

Do all the Corbin seats reduce height? Or are there other models that maintain the stock seat height? I'm 6'2" and have my seat on the raised position. I don't want to drop it any and increase my knee angle to the pegs.

Also, I see you have the Givi top-trunk rack on your bike. I'd really like to hear what you did for a trunk. I have an OEM on back-order but I'm going to try and get my money back and buy either a Givi or Shad. You won't happen to have a thread started on your trunk install would you?

BTW, you're just down the road from me. I'm in Highland Village.

Thanks,

Bart

Received and installed my new Corbin today. It took a little less than 3 weeks from order date. And as Psuedo-Fed said it did lower my sitting position, but you do lose the 2-position adjustability of the original or Russell seat. Looks real good and well made. I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow.

CopB8-Corbin does do some custom build seats so you could call them and ask. But if you don't think a seat pocket (cup) and wings would interfere with your riding position/style I suggest a Russell. It would add about 1" in seat height and they are very comfortable.

Feels fine. My Corbn has two SS1000s on it, and the ride back from Nerds last year was 1300 mile in 22 hours. Going for it's third SS1000 at Moonshine this year.

I'm planning on Moonshine this year too (baring bad weather), but it will be a 18 mile ride for me. Pseudo-Fed, I like the FZ1. You need a Corbin on it too. I have an '07 with a Corbin and really like it. I've done about 350-400 miles a day on it. Not too bad. I think I could do more, but not really sure.

Thanks for the review. I'd consider those when I get an FJR.

Latest posts