Corbin Seat and Backrest , anybody have experience ??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my2dogs

Reaction score
Looking at replacing the seat on my 06 FJR and need backrest for the wife on trips. Looking at the Corbin https://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfjr1306.shtml

and wondering if anybody else has any experience with this set up.

Right now we have been using stock seat and Yamaha tail box. After 200 miles yesterday hit a large bump in road and the tail box decided to go in ejection mode.

Box scrapped to hell and back but still works. Don't trust it anymore though. Wife had her SLR Digital Camera in it and it is junk now. That's going to cost me ka ching to replace it for her !!

Looking for comfortible seat with quick removeable back rest. I will strap soft leather luggage to back of bike now instead of using the Yamaha box.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Looking at replacing the seat on my 06 FJR and need backrest for the wife on trips. Looking at the Corbin https://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfjr1306.shtml and wondering if anybody else has any experience with this set up.

Right now we have been using stock seat and Yamaha tail box. After 200 miles yesterday hit a large bump in road and the tail box decided to go in ejection mode.

Box scrapped to hell and back but still works. Don't trust it anymore though. Wife had her SLR Digital Camera in it and it is junk now. That's going to cost me ka ching to replace it for her !!

Looking for comfortible seat with quick removeable back rest. I will strap soft leather luggage to back of bike now instead of using the Yamaha box.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
I just put the Corbin front and back heated seats with the back rest, just took it for a 200 mile ride today and I think its much better than the stock seat, my wife really likes it too. It put me about 1 in. closer to the ground as well which was good for me being 5'10 and gave me better wind protection with the touring shield. I got the one as shown on their website. Hope this helps in your decision, I know a lot of people here like the Russell and Mayer seats as well and really like them.

Just read about seats on the forum and you will most likely find out that a Rick Myer or Russel seat seem to be the superior for riding amd comfort. I have a corbin on mine its ok but get a little hard after a couple hours..

I put a Corbin on my Gen1, far better then the stcok seat. Comfortable? Well.... I would hope there is better for long rides in the saddle. I don't use the backrest.

Good luck.

About four years ago I replaced the stock saddle of my '04 FJR with a Corbin and fabricated my own backrest. The seat is fairly hard but I did not require a lot of miles to get used to it. Now I prefer a hard seat because it suits my riding style. To give you an indication how compatible the seat is to me: I just completed a 6,200 mile adventure in 14 days with no desire to to go buy a Russell or Mayer or any other after market saddle.

I just put the Corbin front and back heated seats with the back rest, just took it for a 200 mile ride today and I think its much better than the stock seat, my wife really likes it too. It put me about 1 in. closer to the ground as well which was good for me being 5'10 and gave me better wind protection with the touring shield. I got the one as shown on their website. Hope this helps in your decision, I know a lot of people here like the Russell and Mayer seats as well and really like them.

Hey heaston, What material did ya get? Leather or vinyl?? With stitching or not?? Is the one in the pic considered stiched?? I had a corbin on my Yamaha FZ700 and liked it. Many miles was put on it. So I am considering one for the FJR, espec. if it lowers you a little.

Before you make your final decision, check out Premier Cycle's rack & backrest set-up. I did my homework and ended up ordering both. The rack will accept Givi boxes (and probably the Yamaha box, too), but personally, I'll never own another top box. I've had several over the years, and I still prefer the flexibility of a good rack and my big Eclipse tail bag (that I've had for about a hundred years). Duane at Premier engineered the whole deal, and he posts here on the forum. I was impressed - that's why he got my business.

I tryed a buddy's Corbin and found it to be well shaped, but too hard-so did his wife and kids.

I've had good experiences with Sargent seats on a couple bikes so ended up purchasing thier set up, including backrest.

The backrest great and a snap to put on or remove and liked by all who have ridden with it. The seat, however is quite firm

(not so firm as the Corbin IMO) and takes some time to "break in." If considering either Corbin or Sargent I would inquire

whether they mayoffer a little softer foam.

I don't know the price of the Corbin, but the Sargent seat was not cheap! IIRC it was approaching $800. The under seat

storage tube idea they incorperate is a handy plus.