Corbin Seat Hard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massrider

Reaction score
I have an '04 with a one piece Corbin seat. I just finished a 3100 mile trip over a period of 9 days and found the seat to be uncomfortably hard. Can anyone comment on the stock seat verses the Corbin for long ride comfort.

I did a 16,000-odd km trip last summer (which included four 1000 mile days) on the stocker, augmented with an Airhawk. Over the winter I put a Corbin on, and did Calgary to San Diego. I like the Corbin.

Folks seem to either like 'em or hate 'em. They are HARD. They need to be broken in, like a horse saddle. The first few rides I was thinking I'd made a mistake, but now that I've put about 8000 km (5000 miles) on it I like it a lot.

For true LD comfort, it seems the Russell and/or Meyer seats are favoured. Lots and lots of threads on here refer.

Griff

What does a seat have to do with a top trunk? Hmmm... riddle me this.

I had a corbin for a little while. I returned to stock because the corbin was so damn uncomfortable. I have no ass though.... just leg meeting up with my back. I'm sure it makes a difference in your shape as to how well the corbin works out for you.

I ended up modifying my stocker twice and think I have it to a good point... more dense foam with softer foam for my ischeal tuberosities, flatter profile, beadrider beads. No more hot spots within the first hour of riding.

worldbound4now

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you were running almost 350 per day for 9 days. I suspect a lot of this has to do with weather, exhaustion, other factors. I personally think Corbin seats are somewhat hard. I like the stock seat on my 2006 FJR, and have had good luck with a Sargent on a VFR. On the other hand, you did a long trip on a bike. It ain't like the Mercedes you know??? Better in some ways, not so good in others...

WWWobble

I just put a corbin canyon on my 03 and took a few rides a few weeks ago (I was home on vacation from working in a land far, far away). IMO, I find it much better than the stock seat. Yes, it is a little harder, but I like it's shape and there's more area for you to sit on so I feel like it distributes my weight better. Granted, my corbin was used off of this site, and I believe one that's been traded around a little bit, so it was probably ridden a lot and 'pre-broken in'.

But after a few days, one of which included not many miles, but lots of seat time as I was going slow speeds (maybe 300 miles, about 6 hours in the saddle) it still was very good. Did it get a little annoying? Sure. But then again, have I ever rode 6 hours straight? No. And I hadn't ridden a bike at all in MONTHS, so it could've been my body not being used bike seat.

Also, my g/f seems to like it better than the stock seat. She actually began to fall asleep on the trip as a pillion and caught herself nodding off a few times (um.....probably a little dangerous without armrests or anything to keep you from just falling off the bike!)

Alexi

I think we should petition Iggy to change massrider's handle to toptrunk. Then he will never forget his first post mistake.

Let me be the first to welcome toptrunk to the board. Everyone say hi to toptrunk.

Oh, and I'll go ahead and offer my opinion on the Corbin. I love it. Yep, it's harder than the stock seat, and that's by design. It offers more contoured support and works very well. One of the best things I have added to the bike so far.

I think we should petition Iggy to change massrider's handle to toptrunk. Then he will never forget his first post mistake.
Let me be the first to welcome toptrunk to the board. Everyone say hi to toptrunk.
Well thankyou. Not a bad name, and I am considering getting one, and changed my mind on subject mid stream on my first posting. Come to think of it, I might have had a couple IPAs before I wrote that.