Corbin Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfespinosa

Reaction score
I believe seats are a matter of preference, butt preference. I chose Corbin because I saw a used FJR at a dealer that had one, sat on it, studied, etc, and liked it.

Corbins are hard, if the shape doesn't fit you I think it would be terrible for you, but if the shape fits you then being hard is not a problem and actually becomes an asset for giving firm support all the time w/o giving in with time on the saddle. The biggest difference compared to the OEM is that the Corbin is broader and gives support over a much larger area. This is a disadvantage for sport riding because it is more difficult to shift sideways and hang the butt over the side. So it's a much improved touring saddle with a slight sport disadvantage.

I like it and I am glad I got it.

Ron

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0346.jpg

Good looking seat I like it! I may have to order me one for this comming ridding season. :clapping:

Like he said, try it out before you buy it. Corbin's are hard and, although they say that it will conform to your body, I've had two for several years and they never did "conform". This time around, I went with a Sargent, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Good looking seat ,,,

what color is it ?? looks a little gray in the picture,, the reason I ask ,, I'm planning on ordering a Corbin

for next years riding season for my '08'.

I've had Corbins on all my other bikes except the 1970 Kaw. and I've always had good luck with them..

They are about as soft as a vinyl covered brick,,, but I've done several 400 and 500 mile days on them..

The FJR is the best stock seat I've had ,,but for me it's only good for a couple hundred miles...

Good looking seat. :D

I've had(/got) Corbins on two of my bikes (BMW & Ducati) and have had good experiences with them. Have tried the Yamaha Comfort/gel seats and they didn't work for me. Current plans are to sell those soon and ordering a set of Corbins.

One question: Did you notice and change in height change when stopped and standing on the ground (+ or - from stock)?

I've had(/got) Corbins on two of my bikes (BMW & Ducati) and have had good experiences with them. Have tried the Yamaha Comfort/gel seats and they didn't work for me. Current plans are to sell those soon and ordering a set of Corbins.

One question: Did you notice and change in height change when stopped and standing on the ground (+ or - from stock)?
I have that same setup and yes I did notice the lower seat height. Very similar to having the stock seat on the lower position, maybe a hair lower... knees are a little more bent

Hope this helps

The color is gray leather, I thought that would accentuate the silver trim nicely. I certainly think it's more attractive than the black. I had the OEM recovered in gray vinyl which I liked so I was not totally unprepared for the color combination.

I did not notice a change in seat height. The front of the Corbin is not as narrow as the OEM and that makes it feel higher. I used the OEM only in the low position, the H shape plastic under the OEM is not used with the Corbin and the Corbin is not adjustable.

Don't under estimate the comment about it being a hard seat. It IS a hard seat, but the shape fits me so well that it works fine. I strongly recommend checking one out if at all possible before buying. I had a Sargent on a BMW KRS and I like this seat better. Notice the shape of other seats such as the Russell Day Long, Bill Mayer, etc, and see that they all have added area of support in the width. The Corbin does also but it's not as pronounced. I think that's the key to these seats being more comfortable - increased support area and more bucket shape.

Ron

I've got the same Corbin saddle (I wouldn't call them a seat) on my AE. It lowered me more than stock. After 25000 miles it hasn't broken in a bit. The padding (not what I would call cushioning) is hard as a rock, as is the custom pan that Corbin forms for the seat. And it's RIGID.

I hated the seat at first. But my butt got used to it. Plus after I tweaked my suspension so the bike was absorbing the bumps, not my ass, the seat became quite acceptable. If I could get a Russell that would put me as low as the Corbin, my Corbin would be long gone.

The Corbin is a pretty piece. Well made and about half the cost of a custom. I wouldn't say it's any better than the stock seat as far as comfort (lack of) goes, but it's lower. Which is why I bought it. If you're bike is set up right, though, you'll probably like the saddle.

I have that same setup and yes I did notice the lower seat height. Very similar to having the stock seat on the lower position, maybe a hair lower... knees are a little more bent

Hope this helps
That was the deal breaker for me. Sargent retained the high position option, otherwise I would have continued my pattern of replacing stock seats with Corbins.

I have the Corbin seat as well and like it pretty well. That being said I never used the stock seat as I had my Corbin seat and smuggler before I had the bike delivered, and I've never used any other aftermarket seat either. I love the smuggler, really compliments the overall FJR looks. One aspect that I wanted was a lower seat height and that was obtained, I think that it is around 3/4" lower than the lowest stock setting and is rolled over towards the edges so you legs can extend easier.

I do find that after about 2-3 hours of riding my butt starts to get numb, particulally my left cheek. I have the heated seat and asked when I ordered it to have the switch left off and have the leads out the bottom. The leads run to a heat controller near the bars and I control it from there. My point to this is that the switch is normally on the left side of the saddle and the structure to hold there, the seat pan itself, runs nearly to the top so my ass is riding right on the pan in that area. I was wondering if anybody has an unheated seat if there pan runs that high as you can easily tell a difference from the left side to the right side.

I'm thinking of removing the seat cover from the pan and cutting the pan down in that area. Has anybody removed the cover from a Corbin seat and reattatched?

I have the Corbin seat as well and like it pretty well. That being said I never used the stock seat as I had my Corbin seat and smuggler before I had the bike delivered, and I've never used any other aftermarket seat either. I love the smuggler, really compliments the overall FJR looks. One aspect that I wanted was a lower seat height and that was obtained, I think that it is around 3/4" lower than the lowest stock setting and is rolled over towards the edges so you legs can extend easier.
I do find that after about 2-3 hours of riding my butt starts to get numb, particulally my left cheek. I have the heated seat and asked when I ordered it to have the switch left off and have the leads out the bottom. The leads run to a heat controller near the bars and I control it from there. My point to this is that the switch is normally on the left side of the saddle and the structure to hold there, the seat pan itself, runs nearly to the top so my ass is riding right on the pan in that area. I was wondering if anybody has an unheated seat if there pan runs that high as you can easily tell a difference from the left side to the right side.

I'm thinking of removing the seat cover from the pan and cutting the pan down in that area. Has anybody removed the cover from a Corbin seat and reattatched?
My Corbin is not heated and it is symmetrical in feel.

Ron

All yo have to do is ask them to use a softer foam and that should help for some of the firmness. I have a corbin I like it but it can get as hars as concrete after a few hunert miles

That is a beautiful seat! (the Corbin) How much? Can't say I'm interested because for some unknown reason the stock seat is perfect for me.

That's good lookin', too tx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the Corbin gunfighter seat I had on my FJ1200-wished I had never gotten the leather one tho- as it soaked up rainwater on trips and I had to ride with a wet arse..