Corbin Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Corbin on my 06. When I first got it I thought " Holy Crap !! This thing is like sitting on a concrete block !!" But after about 6,000 miles I really like it. No butt burn, I can slide around on it with ease when pusing the cornering ability of this bike, and back does not seem to get as tired on longer trips.

I can make it about 450 miles before taking a break.

There are probably better seats out there that are more forgiving on long hauls but for what I paid for this seat on the slightly used market I think I did the right thing.

The Corbin is a pretty piece. Well made and about half the cost of a custom.
Hmmmm.... :unsure: Lets see:

Corbin Modular front and rear $498

Russell Daylong Solo $470 (Vinyl) or $590 (all leather). And Russell's are generally considered the most expensive.

Sure doesn't seem to be twice the price of the Corbin "brick"...
You're comparing apples and oranges. A Corbin for both the rider and passenger is $498. A Russell for both the rider and passenger is $570 with vinyl or $710 all leather. That is a big difference.

The rider's portion alone is just $289 from Corbin but nearly twice at from Russel at $470 for vinyl or $590 all leather.

The Corbin is a pretty piece. Well made and about half the cost of a custom.
Hmmmm.... :unsure: Lets see:

Corbin Modular front and rear $498

Russell Daylong Solo $470 (Vinyl) or $590 (all leather). And Russell's are generally considered the most expensive.

Sure doesn't seem to be twice the price of the Corbin "brick"...
You're comparing apples and oranges. A Corbin for both the rider and passenger is $498. A Russell for both the rider and passenger is $570 with vinyl or $710 all leather. That is a big difference.

The rider's portion alone is just $289 from Corbin but nearly twice at from Russel at $470 for vinyl or $590 all leather.
Well, you are sort of correct. They are different, but not entirely apples and oranges.

A "Solo" from Russell doesn't mean that you only get the drivers seat. You also get the passenger seat recovered to match at that price. So you do not "have to" get the passenger seat foam resculpted if you don't want to.

And a Corbin seat set doesn't give the passenger much in the way of added comfort as it is not "sculpted" or widened, or have any added wings to add support. It does give them the matching seat cover and harder Corbin foam, which is a negative in the comfort department.

So I was comparing the cheapest way to get a full seat from Corbin vs. Russell. I suppose that you could buy just the Corbin drivers seat if you wanted, but it would look pretty crappy.

I guess to summarize, I'd encourage anyone to try sitting on a Russell or Meyer seat before they plunk down the $$ for a Corbin set.

I suppose that you could buy just the Corbin drivers seat if you wanted, but it would look pretty crappy.
It doesn't look crappy if you have a smuggler on back instead of the pillion.

Yep, I was talking just pilot seats. I was ready to jump to a Russell until they told me they couldn't lower me. For the comfort of the Russell, I'd pay twice what I paid for my Corbin, which was under 3 bills.

I guess to summarize, I'd encourage anyone to try sitting on a Russell or Meyer seat before they plunk down the $ for a Corbin set.
You got me there! Agree 100% !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't look crappy if you have a smuggler on back instead of the pillion.
+1. I wish I could afford a smuggler.

I guess to summarize, I'd encourage anyone to try sitting on a Russell or Meyer seat before they plunk down the $ for a Corbin set.
You got me there! Agree 100% !!!
Just to show that I'm not an anti-Corbin snob, look what showed up on the brown truck of happiness today for my antique Beamer:

2694509580098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

One question: Did you notice and change in height change when stopped and standing on the ground (+ or - from stock)?
I believe it is about 1" lower than the bottom stock position. I'm basing this on the facts that I can touch the ground easier now and that the windshield is relatively higher to my view line. Keep this in mind if you are changing shields in the near future. It worked out for me because I could have bought the next higher Cal Sci and been OK so now it is perfect.

I suppose that you could buy just the Corbin drivers seat if you wanted, but it would look pretty crappy.
For those thinking about buying just the Corbin driver seat and leaving the OEM passenger seat on, I was worried about it until I popped it on for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised. It not a perfect match, but if you don't get the optional stitching, it blends in nicely. It looks much better than Corbin's copy/paste slide show would suggest. Of course, looks are a matter of opinion, but I do tend to be pretty picky about my stuff. My wife has her own bikes so the FJR passenger seat never gets used - the extra cost for the pass seat would have been merely for aesthetics.