Corbin Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha08

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a corbin seat for my bike and i noticed that the seat comes in two models,one that has stitching and the other doesn't. Is there a difference between the quality of the two or is it merely esthetics.

Thanks for any advice.

I would not think of it as a quality issue but more stitching means more holes for water to seep in.

Then again there is a bit more padding on the stitched version. If the Corbin works for you pick

the one you like. They make quality seats they just are too hard for some.

I am looking at buying a corbin seat for my bike and i noticed that the seat comes in two models,one that has stitching and the other doesn't. Is there a difference between the quality of the two or is it merely esthetics.

Thanks for any advice.
The stitched design definitely looks better. :)

I have the stiched version on mine front and back and it looks nice. I would recommend to not get the welts, as they may become a nuisance over time and the lady at Corbin said they do see some sent back often for tears or rips along the welt.

I'm lucky to live a couple of hours from Corbin. I called ahead to let them know I was coming in for a "ride-in" and they had the base and padding fitted and ready, saving some time if you just showed up out of the blue.

I tried it out and had adjustments to the shape made right there. A few hours later the seat was done and I was on my way. I did get the stitching and it looks good. Personally don't think it is as hard as my stock seat.

I thought of buying a Corbin seat in the beginning, than I shy'd away from it, as I was reading more in to it, I found that the Corbin seat is an inch lower than the stock plate. For my 34" inseam and bad knees a killer.... Price-wise they are superb I'd say.

I thought of buying a Corbin seat in the beginning, than I shy'd away from it, as I was reading more in to it, I found that the Corbin seat is an inch lower than the stock plate. For my 34" inseam and bad knees a killer.... Price-wise they are superb I'd say.

I have a Corbin on my 2006 and love it. I too have a 34" inseam but I also have MCL peg lowering kit. Fits like a glove.

I have a Corbin on my 2006 and love it. I too have a 34" inseam but I also have MCL peg lowering kit. Fits like a glove.
I don't ride the MCL lowering kit yet, as I haven't decided, whether I want to tolerate to scrape my pegs on the pavement or not. I will wait for my Penske/GP farkle to come in and see then.

I had a Corbin, which WAS much better than the instrument of torture that came on my 2008 (bought new), and yes, it was about an inch lower than the stock at the lower adjustment. But, it still was not comfy after about 100 miles (at a time; after a 10-15 minute break I was ready for another 100), so I moved to a Rich's Custom, which put me even lower (GREAT for my short legs!), and I thought that I'd died and gone to heaven. Still, I need a break after about 150, but that's probably wise to do anyway.

I'm considering a Corbin not because of comfort but I need a lower seat. What is a typical cost? Also can someone link me to Rich's custom seats?

Thanks, Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Corbin. I have the stiched version and water isn't an issue. The SO and I did 7500 miles in 14 days last June travelling to NAFO 2012. You can't do that kind of riding with a bad seat!

.... so I moved to a Rich's Custom, which put me even lower (GREAT for my short legs!), and I thought that I'd died and gone to heaven. Still, I need a break after about 150, but that's probably wise to do anyway.

Yep same here, I went for a Rich's seat and don't regret it from the start, since I had mines build up higher, it accommodated my inseam and makes me feel very comfortable on her. I rode straight 2+ hours and didn't feel the need for a break or pain in my knees, not to speak of my arse, which is now in heaven. :yahoo:

Thanks Beacher for the link. Would love to hear from someone who is short of leg that got a Corbin. Was there a noticable improvement over the stock seat? I with an inseam of 29" would like to have more sure footing while parking, backing up etc.

Thanks, Bill
I had a Corbin on mine for most of this season, just recently replaced it with a used Bill Mayer seat. I have a 31" inseam. I know some people claim to be able to reach the ground easier with a Corbin, but I disagree. I do think it sits you lower on the bike but the Corbin is definitely wider, so I didn't notice any gain. I would say it is about the same in that regard.

Thanks Beacher for the link. Would love to hear from someone who is short of leg that got a Corbin. Was there a noticable improvement over the stock seat? I with an inseam of 29" would like to have more sure footing while parking, backing up etc.

Thanks, Bill
I had a Corbin on mine for most of this season, just recently replaced it with a used Bill Mayer seat. I have a 31" inseam. I know some people claim to be able to reach the ground easier with a Corbin, but I disagree. I do think it sits you lower on the bike but the Corbin is definitely wider, so I didn't notice any gain. I would say it is about the same in that regard.
I just ordered the Corbin and hope it works for me. If its too wide maybe I can trim it like I've done on other seats. Once I get it I'll post my results.

Thanks, Bill