Covered Bridges of Southern NH - 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The Whites and Greens is behind us :Snorkle: . So now it's time to start planning for the next one...

Because NAFO is so late in September this time, even though not too many of you are attending!!, (Joann and I are)

Therefore, and without further ado, I shall duly proclaim:

[SIZE=14pt]This year's date for the Covered Bridges of NH Foliage Tour will be Saturday October 2nd!![/SIZE] :hyper:

This will be a single day organized ride, but there are all sorts of other things to do in the area this time of year on your own the other day. Many riders will have their photo-happy pillions aboard for the day. The pace will be easy, so as to enhance your every photographic opportunity. And we'll have several rest stops along the way to stretch the gams and flap the gums. Your friends on bikes other than FJRs are welcome to join along, as long as they do not have noisy exhaust pipes :nono: and are willing to put up with a bunch of old fogies on their FJRs. IOW, sporty riders will probably be bored to tears!! :p

We will be following the full traditional ride route (this ride is a tradition), starting out with kickstands up! at 9AM from the Fiddleheads Cafe in Hancock, NH. Plan on arriving as early as you can manage as Fiddleheads makes a killer breakfast sandwich on their home made toasted bread. :thumbsup:

From there, we'll meander around the countryside in the southwestern corner of NH. We'll be "bagging" at least a dozen covered bridges along the route, most of which we will actually be able to ride through! (only a couple of them are drive-by "decorator" bridges, closed due to weight restrictions).

As usual, we'll stop for lunch at Diamond Pizza in Walpole. They have good (and cheap) pizza and grinders (subs to you non-natives).

After lunch we'll wend our way back to the south and east, past Lake Sunapee and bagging bridges all along the way, and wind things up at the Hopkinton Dam in Contoocook.

If we should happen to finish the route early enough (so gobble down those grinders!) and if they are still running it, we can then make a dash down Rtes 202 and 31 to Greenfield NH and see the Yankee Siege Trubuchet, the world class pumpkin chucker. They set a new world record last year and I heard something about them retiring. Hopefully that is only from competitive chucking and they will still have their (free) weekend exhibitions running. They started doing that to bring people to their farm stand in the fall (cha-ching).

For those coming from "outta town", there is a B&B directly across the street from Fiddleheads called the Hancock Inn, which is quite lovely. However, I think they are also quite spendy (~$200 / night), and they do book up early in the foliage season. In the past, folks coming from out of town have stayed at chain motels in down in Keene, NH to the southwest. There is also the Jack Daniels Motor Inn, just down the road in Peterborough, or the Inn at Crotched Mountain in Francistown, which is where The Axeman stayed last year and liked it. I would just be careful about cancellation policies in the event of rain.

Teasers:

2032732130098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2176678580098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2515088680098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2807879740098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2095164130098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2436727980098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

Do look back through some prior years ride report threads for more pictures of what you can expect to see.

Disclaimer (aka the fine print):

[SIZE=8pt]Because riding on New England back roads in the rain at that time of year can be an iffy deal (cold and raw, wet leaves, wet wooden bridge decks, etc.), and because this is primarily a foliage[/SIZE] sightseeing tour, (which doesn't really look all that special in the gray drizzle) we will reserve as rain dates: Sunday the 3rd as 1st option, and the following weekend of the 9th or 10th if necessary (as it was last year).

Why dontcha add the covered bridges in Bath? Then you could get the Bricks store in too. I know...not exactly Southern NH....

After all was said and done we should have done it Saturday....dinner at Jesse's was underwhelming....jes sayin :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

Yes, you are Jack. As in Highjack, get it? ;)

I answered your concerns about Jesse's on the G&W thread. I thought it might spawn more discussion and would rather not have it here in this thread.

I already have the route set for this ride, and as you noted the Bath bridges are too far up there to the north.

I'm not really looking for any help in developing the route.

If you want to, you could set up a second day's ride route to those other bridges and the Store for Sunday.

Thanks.

Bob,
Yes, you are Jack. As in Highjack, get it? ;)

I answered your concerns about Jesse's on the G&W thread. I thought it might spawn more discussion and would rather not have it here in this thread.

I already have the route set for this ride, and as you noted the Bath bridges are too far up there to the north.

I'm not really looking for any help in developing the route.

If you want to, you could set up a second day's ride route to those other bridges and the Store for Sunday.

Thanks.
Sorry for the highjack. (little slow today. didn't get the inference) The main reason for the post was in reference to the covered bridges. Your suggestion is a good one. Especially if the weather cooperates! I have put the date for this ride on the side burner.

Sorry for the highjack. (little slow today. didn't get the inference) The main reason for the post was in reference to the covered bridges. Your suggestion is a good one. Especially if the weather cooperates! I have put the date for this ride on the side burner.
No problemo. I have a POI file with all to the NH bridges on it and a few web sites show stats on each bridge. There are several to the north that could be strung together to make a great 2nd day's ride. There are also a handful that are very hard to find, can't be ridden thru and are hidden in the middle of the woods, so it takes a little scouting work. Let me know if you want copies of anything.

The ride that I have routed is the one that we have been doing for many years. It is great fun and very scenic.

It would be great if you could make it back up here again for it.

No problemo. I have a POI file with all to the NH bridges on it and a few web sites show stats on each bridge. There are several to the north that could be strung together to make a great 2nd day's ride. There are also a handful that are very hard to find, can't be ridden thru and are hidden in the middle of the woods, so it takes a little scouting work. Let me know if you want copies of anything.

The ride that I have routed is the one that we have been doing for many years. It is great fun and very scenic.

It would be great if you could make it back up here again for it.
If there is any interest, I know I put together a Vermont WP file and the New England Rider site has a NH and Maine covered bridge WP files. I could grab and place over here

Willie

You know, I (and Julie) may actually have to make this ride. If for no other reason then to prove I'm still alive and do in fact own and ride my FJR.

This is such a gorgeous area, and the best time of the year to ride it--barring rain--for scenery and weather. I wish I could be there. As a Central New York native, I have fond memories of those brilliant fall colors from my area all the way east to the coast. And I have always remembered passing through Keene in the fall of 1967 and thinking it was the most picturesque town I'd ever seen. Have fun, and wish you one of those cool, crisp, sunny fall days for it.

Paul and I are both planning to attend.

I'm thinking about riding up Friday evening and camping Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. That would allow Sunday for a ride up Mt. Washington.

Paul has an RV so he would tow his FJR and meet me at a campground.

Anybody else thinking about camping?

Paul and I are both planning to attend.
I'm thinking about riding up Friday evening and camping Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. That would allow Sunday for a ride up Mt. Washington.

Paul has an RV so he would tow his FJR and meet me at a campground.

Anybody else thinking about camping?
That was what I had on my mind when I first noodled this ride. Also intrigued about Fred's suggestion about doing some more northern bridges. We could do that if we make a weekend of it. I would love to take the bike up Mt. Washington too.

Anxiously awaiting my son's hockey schedule - got his practice schedule for Sept/Oct today and so far - so good. Now to see what the league game schedule turns out to be . . . headed to Toronto for a tournament the following weekend - looks like I may actually be able to pull this off this year!

I will be just getting back the day before from a week long trip with the wife on a run of the BRP. Unfortunately, had to pick and choose between EOM and having the chance to spend some much needed "alone time without the kids" and her first time doing the parkway and the Dragon/surrounding area.... MEM won't have me, Aroostook won't leave me alone, so I figured this would be the best compromise!

Will definitely miss not being able to go on this one, but will have to sit this one out since I'll be with my kids for this weekend. Will try to get a Mt Washington ride formed up once I get my October schedule put out at work. Had a great time last weekend and a pleasure meeting everyone!