Covered Bridges of Southern NH - 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see the annual tradition continue.

5.jpg

Paul and I plan to stick around and ride up Mt. Washington on Sunday if it isn't fogged over. If anyone else is interested you are welcome to join us.
What time will you be looking to head up the mountain? My girlfriend and I are planning on a foliage ride on sunday and thought we would try the Mt. Washington ride again if the weather was going to be nice. We can't make the ride on saturday (she has to work). I don't have any other route planned for my sunday ride. We are just gonna ride around upper NH and maybe over into VT some too.

One note for folks coming to New Hampster this weekend. Do NOT under any circumstances go anywhere near the town of Deerfield, NH. The Deerfield Fair is this weekend and the traffic backs up for many miles. DAMHIK

Well I wasn't able to get Saturday off. So Michelle and I won't be able to make it this year. Maybe next year I guess. You all have a safe and fun weekend.

It doesn't look like Marcia and I will be able to attend either this year. If things change we'll see you at Fiddlesticks

Fred,

Hope to meet up in Hancock and ride with you till the pizza place.

I need to be near Stoddard at 1:30.

Bill

That should work out great for you, Bill. We should be rolling into the pizza place right around noon, so if we can get in and out of there in an hour (or less) we will be over at the intersection of Rte 123 and Rt 10 in Marlow (just next to Stoddard) about 1/2 an hour later.

Here is the weather update from New Hampshire:

It has been raining pretty steadily, and pretty heavy at times, here in New Hampshire. The raininess is supposed to clear on Friday afternoon in the Hancock area, Forcast for Saturday is Sunny - with a high temp of 64 degrees F. Perfect fall riding weather.

Therefore:

THE BRIDGES RIDE IS A GO FOR SATURDAY AS SCHEDULED!!

It also looks like Sunday should be nice, though whether nice enough to go up Mt Washington is always in question.

The traditional ride route has us loop through a couple of sections of dirt roads. Due to the recent precipitation, just how snotty those roads will be on Saturday is in question. Rather than have someone going down and spoiling the group wah, I have modified the GPS route files posted earlier and added a duplicate route that just cuts out the dirty road sections. You should know that this will be very hard for me to do, have a group ride with no dirt roads!! :eek: but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. ;)

It will mean that we miss only three of the 12 originally planned bridges (one of which is a drive-by). And the route will (surprisingly) be shortened by a paltry 3 miles. It still should be a great ride with no worries about mudding it.

I have updated the GPS files at the links previously posted. So if you'd like to download the newly updated files with the No Dirt Roads route, I've quoted my prior announcement below.

You can download this year's GPS ride routes in either of two unique formats right here:

2010_Covered_Bridges_Tour.gdb

This is the Garmin proprietary GDB format file, with all route shaping points set on intersections. This will keep your GPS from constantly yakking in your ear about each upcoming viapoint and only announce the turns and Waypoints.

2010_Covered_Bridges_Tour.gpx

This file is the generic GPX format file, which can be used on any GPS. The viapoints on this one have been moved to just after each intersection so you will get the turn announced first, and then hear some other garbage about what viapoint you just went by.

Or, you can just show up at Fiddleheads' Cafe at the appointed time and follow along for a fine day of sightseeing and New England riding.

See you all then!! :yahoo:

See you then, then.

Boy my riding year seems to be going out as consistently shitty and non-existent as it has all year. It's a pattern I was hoping to break. I was also really hopeful and looking forward to seeing my friends again too. However, somewhere between me seeing this ride and discussing with Julie with her putting it on 'the calendar' (that I never look at) I 'effed up big time.

Somehow it ended up on the calendar as Sunday, which allowed us to still go to Belmont, which Julie committed us to with a group of her friends on Saturday.

Then, this week I double-checked and Yahtzee! another ride I screwed myself out of. Made a goddamned commitment and gotta sleep in it.

Sad thing is, I put on a new set of Pirelli's almost two months ago - which are by far my favorite tires thus far - and haven't even worn the little angels off yet.

I'm such an idiot. And this year sucked. Stupid f-ing flagstone patio.

Anyhoo, I miss you guys, and will sadly live vicariously through whatever pictures you post after.

Perhaps I'll manage to sneak in at least one good ride before it snows.

Boy my riding year seems to be going out as consistently shitty and non-existent as it has all year. It's a pattern I was hoping to break. I was also really hopeful and looking forward to seeing my friends again too. However, somewhere between me seeing this ride and discussing with Julie with her putting it on 'the calendar' (that I never look at) I 'effed up big time.

Somehow it ended up on the calendar as Sunday, which allowed us to still go to Belmont, which Julie committed us to with a group of her friends on Saturday.

Then, this week I double-checked and Yahtzee! another ride I screwed myself out of. Made a goddamned commitment and gotta sleep in it.

Sad thing is, I put on a new set of Pirelli's almost two months ago - which are by far my favorite tires thus far - and haven't even worn the little angels off yet.

I'm such an idiot. And this year sucked. Stupid f-ing flagstone patio.

Anyhoo, I miss you guys, and will sadly live vicariously through whatever pictures you post after.

Perhaps I'll manage to sneak in at least one good ride before it snows.
John,

Check with Geezer. They are still talking about riding up Mt Washington on Sunday.

Hey John. I will be staying at Seven Maples campground with a friend, Paul, who has a camper. Paul will trailer his FJR up there on Friday and I'll meet him there Friday afternoon. We plan to stay until Monday morning and riding Sunday. We'd like to go up Mt. Washington on Sunday if it isn't fogged in.

Seven Maples is about a mile from Fiddleheads.

I just looked back to a previous post and saw that we have site #59.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Greg!

Hmmm, hate to sound like a pussy, but that's a pretty ambitious day trip from here. Especially for someone that has yet to even ride outside the Mass. border this year. Am getting rather itchy though.

The forecast for Sunday up there is mostly cloudy and cold - like probably what else is in my case that I could possibly put on cold.

I'm now trying to figure out if "cloudy" means you'd be in the clouds or under them. I do feel I need to ask that question considering the environs.

The gears are turning in the old noggin though.

Hey Greg!

Hmmm, hate to sound like a pussy, but that's a pretty ambitious day trip from here. Especially for someone that has yet to even ride outside the Mass. border this year. Am getting rather itchy though.

The forecast for Sunday up there is mostly cloudy and cold - like probably what else is in my case that I could possibly put on cold.

I'm now trying to figure out if "cloudy" means you'd be in the clouds or under them. I do feel I need to ask that question considering the environs.

The gears are turning in the old noggin though.

A man's got to know his limitations. :p

I understand that it is a challenge but I want to make the offer in case you want to go for it. Regarding Mt. Washington, I'd say we'll go up if there is a chance of seeing anything from the top and it looks safe to go up on two wheels. If that doesn't work then we'll probably ride somewhere at lower altitudes. If it's raining we may just hang around the campground, do some fishing, drink some beer, or something.

Hey guys, precip may not be the problem on Sunday. Better take a look at this:

Forecast for top of Mt Washington

Sunday - Windy!! High of 25 degrees F. :cold: But look on the bright side... only a 10% chance of precip!
Brrrrr. If that is accurate then Mt. Washington may have to wait until next year, maybe around mid-summer. :cold:

Still, we may decide to brave it. We'll see.

Well, to my surprise, when I mentioned going up there on Sunday Julie got pretty excited about it. So, perhaps we may head up there in the morning.

Greg, what time were you thinking of heading out and about Sunday morning?

I believe I have your cell phone # Greg unless it's changed over the last year.

Hey guys, precip may not be the problem on Sunday. Better take a look at this:

Forecast for top of Mt Washington

Sunday - Windy!! High of 25 degrees F. :cold: But look on the bright side... only a 10% chance of precip!
Brrrrr. If that is accurate then Mt. Washington may have to wait until next year, maybe around mid-summer. :cold:

Still, we may decide to brave it. We'll see.
I rode up Mt Washington last July and the winds picked up to 50mph. I was not happy riding back down... :scare: :scare: :scare: :scare:

Even if it is too chilly up on the big mountain, there will be plenty of good riding around to be had on Sunday, which looks to be a decent weather day.

One problem with heading over toward the Kank and Mt Wash would be the leaf peeper traffic. You might be better off wandering the Western part of the state as the peepers usually stay to the east of I93.

If you really want to ride (most of the way) up a mountain for some nice viewing you can go up to Rollins State Park on the side of Mt Kearsarge in Warner NH, which is a lot closer to Hancock. We'll actually be riding right through Warner on the bridges ride on Saturday. It's a fun ride up a windy goat trail of a mountain road that kind of reminds me of Hurricane Mt Rd, and (unlike Mt. Wash) it's paved all the way up to the parking area. They do charge a $4 per head park entrance fee, but that is small compared to the Mt Wash Auto Road fee of $14 for bike and rider, or $24 for a 2-up bike.

From the parking area, there are some good overlook photo opportunities, and if you are feeling frisky, you can take the remaining 1/2 mile hike up to the bald summit of Kearsarge. It isn't too strenuous of a hike, but I would not recomend doing it in motorcycle boots. Bring sensible shoes (sneakers are good enough) and outerwear. The ionbeams (both Mr and Mrs) joined Joann and me in going up there for the first time just a couple of weekends ago. It's pretty darned nice. :thumbsup:

The insider post-hike refreshment location is the Flying Goose Brewpub in New London. Good food, good beer (for those who can partake) and a great view of the mountain you just conquered (sort of).

If you really want to ride (most of the way) up a mountain for some nice viewing you can go up to Rollins State Park on the side of Mt Kearsarge in Warner NH, which is a lot closer to Hancock...From the parking area, there are some good overlook photo opportunities, and if you are feeling frisky, you can take the remaining 1/2 mile hike up to the bald summit of Kearsarge...
To continue this hijack:

The hike up:

Img_9186c.jpg

IMG_9276b.jpg

Img_9192c.jpg

Back in ancient history, before rattle can paint people climbed up this mountain carrying hammer and chisel and left a huge number of names and dates engraved into the rocks. In some cases, one guy climbed the mountain at least once a year and left a whole long list of dates under his name.

Squint real hard -- this graffiti says LL Bean and refers to the outfitter. Dunno if this was done by Mr Bean himself or perhaps it's an ad.

IMG_9202b.jpg

IMG_9206b.jpg

IMG_9209b.jpg

IMG_9239b.jpg