Covering Your FJR At Work, School, Etc...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cover mine when at work (9 hours of intense sunlight sometimes, live in Charleston, SC). I have a Dowco cover, and it takes about a minute to put it on so I think it's worth it. The biggest reason, for me, is to protect it from U.V.

I cover it at work and at home. The heat here in south texas is brutal to motorcycles.
+1... it gets pretty hot in Alabama as well. I use a Nelson Rigg full cover (Defender, XL I think). The lower panel is heat resistant, so you can cover the pipes when they're hot. I commute every day, and the cover is already slightly faded... in less than a year. That wouldn've been my bike.

I have a DOWCO cover but I only use it at work or on overnight trips. In the garage at home I use an old sheet to keep the dust off it. :agent:

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike is garaged at home but exposed to the elements at work, school and the gym. Those Covermax half covers are pretty nice and I'll probably pick one up for normal commuting and keep the full cover for my longer trips.

Right now the biggest PITA factor I have with the cover is the valuable room it takes up in my bags, but that half cover should fold up nice and small. I use one bag for riding gear, the other for school crap and then a backpack as my gym bag. It just amazes me how much crap I'm lugging around on this bike just for commuting to work, school and the gym. But I think I've finally got a doable system down now. I'm trying to avoid using my tank bag and top case for commuting but it sure is tempting.

God, I'm starting to see the appeal of the GoldWings. :lol:

I guess you know why I have my head up my a$$. I got excited, here in Phoenix we ride everyday so we have much cover time but, static electric and dust is a problem a cover just won't help. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the cover tip Solo Pilot I might be able to live with that, put it inside my Smuggler.

I have the custom fit Yamaha cover for the FJR.

Works and fits like a dream with both side cases and the top box on when fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always cover my bike (02 VFR) at work. I teach at the local high school and last thing I want is some student climbing on my bike. Certainly helps with the elements too.

VFRMike.

I have one. I don't use it in my garage on a daily basis but I probably should. It gets dusty in the garage and my daughter was drawing pictures in the dust on my gas tank. I guess that teaches me a lesson though. Use it or abuse it. (the fjr) I actually bought it to use for cold storage through the winter. But it is a good idea to use it daily if you can.

Devanator

Just ride it. Seriously carrying a cover around is a pain in the ass. If someone wants to steal it, they will. If it gets dusty, it will blow off on the way home. For all other stuff thats why you have insurance.

But if you feel better, cover it up. IMHO its not worth the effort. Just my 2 cents.

At home in the garage, never covered.

At work, started out covering daily. Then I started riding it between sites instead of the company vehicle (much more fun riding to a meeting in another building). Now, only cover if it is going to rain. Guess I got lazy. :)