Crashes with Canyon cages?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
MC Enterprises offers Canyon Cages and cheaper loop type protector bars to include a loop to protect the side bags. I'm sure that either version will be very effective in a drop. Not so sure about a crash. Anyone have experience with either of these in a crash or a drop?

Bill

Crash bars on police bikes are awesome for slow speed drops. However, as speeds increase, the bars begin to bend and eventually fail. They take the damage before the plastics will, but depending on speed and terrain, they will fail sooner or later. A smooth slide down an empty freeway may result in only damaged cages. A crash that involves off road bar ditches, frontal impacts, rocks, Jersey Barriers, guard rails, other cars, trees, or a bike tumbling from a high side will probably destroy the cages and the bike. Other than a heavy 360degree cage, that damage is unavoidable.

Zilla,

I bought the "police" style bars for the reasons you mentioned, mainly for plastic protection from a drop. I'd like to hear from someone who actually had a drop or a slow to moderate speed lowside and learn how they performed in those situations. Obviously if the protectors hit something hard at speed, something is gonna fail. My factory installed Moto Guzzi crash bars worked perfectly for a lowside at about 15 MPH. Only busted a mirror, not a scratch on the bike. I hope the FJR now has equivalent protection.

Thanks, Bill

MC Enterprises offers Canyon Cages and cheaper loop type protector bars to include a loop to protect the side bags. I'm sure that either version will be very effective in a drop. Not so sure about a crash. Anyone have experience with either of these in a crash or a drop?Bill
Funny you should ask. Headed out for a little Breakfast ride with the local BMW group this morning. On the way to the rendezvous point I made a wrong turn and needed to make a U-turn, on a hill, to avoid a soft muddy and gravelly detour
uhoh.gif
. Almost completed the turn but at the very end I let the Grey Ghost get away from me and down she went on her left side.

Happy to say that the Canyon Cages paid for themselvesin that one very low speed episode
smile.png

I have both the cages and the rear bag protectors, the plastic was never even close to the ground and the cage has just a little mark where the bar struck the ground.

It was quite easy to pick the beast back up and motor away with a smile on my face and a sense of relief in my heart!
rolleyes.gif

Dropped my heavily loaded bike a few weeks ago while on a trip in KS. A 2-3 mile drop on pavement. Bike is equipped with front and rear cages as well as sliders designed to be used inconjunction with the cages (sold by EricF over on the other forum). Zero damage to the bike. Very minor scuffs on the bottom of the cages and slider.

This is what I was hoping to read. Keep the stories coming.

Thanks, Bill

Dropped mine in Utah. Bike was loaded, and I dropped it in a sand wash. Sadly, the place it fell to was probably 6" below where I was so it rolled over the cage and wound up wheels-up with some plastic damage to the upper fairing, right bag, and Givi trunk. Even so, there was nothing broken -- just scratches. I was able to ride the bike 1200+ miles home. I feel sure I would have had much more damage without the cages.

Face it. If anyone build a cage big enough to protect against all damage, none of us would want it ;)

IMG_0037_zpsc5721c5c.jpg

Dang! John, Kevin, & Old Guy, whats up with these 2013s tipping over and testing the Canyon Cages. It it looks like the the 2013s like to take a little dirt nap on their sides. It's just another good reason for me to get rid of 2013 for the beautiful red 2014.
fool.gif

MC Enterprises told me the "Police" loops and the Canyon cages provide equal protection. Maybe, but I think the loops will be better for a drop and the cages better for a low side. The loops extend way out from the bike. Good for a drop but on a slide maybe more prone to cause damage at the mounting points. The cages are so much better looking. The loops while practical take away from the fine lines of the FJR. I'm not complaining just my thoughts about the comparison of the two. Bill

Dang! John, Kevin, & Old Guy, whats up with these 2013s tipping over and testing the Canyon Cages. It it looks like the the 2013s like to take a little dirt nap on their sides. It's just another good reason for me to get rid of 2013 for the beautiful red 2014.
fool.gif
It's the 13 -- unlucky you know?
smile.png

Dropped mine in Utah. Bike was loaded, and I dropped it in a sand wash. Sadly, the place it fell to was probably 6" below where I was so it rolled over the cage and wound up wheels-up with some plastic damage to the upper fairing, right bag, and Givi trunk. Even so, there was nothing broken -- just scratches. I was able to ride the bike 1200+ miles home. I feel sure I would have had much more damage without the cages.
Face it. If anyone build a cage big enough to protect against all damage, none of us would want it
wink.png

IMG_0037_zpsc5721c5c.jpg
With the addition of a slider to the Cayon Cage it is much less likely that the bike will pivot on the contact point of the Canyon Cage and go wheels up. Changes the angle of the dangle and moment of momentum or some such chit. Just know it worked for my bike's nap.

fool.gif
It's the 13 -- unlucky you know?
smile.png
Kinda like why did Michael Jordon missed more final shots in basketball games than any other player? He was the man who made the most attempts. 13s need the rest because they are asked to accomplish so much.
aikido.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
MC Enterprises told me the "Police" loops and the Canyon cages provide equal protection. Maybe, but I think the loops will be better for a drop and the cages better for a low side. The loops extend way out from the bike. Good for a drop but on a slide maybe more prone to cause damage at the mounting points. The cages are so much better looking. The loops while practical take away from the fine lines of the FJR. I'm not complaining just my thoughts about the comparison of the two. Bill
I have the loops on mine and I must agree the cages look better. I have however been pleasantly surprised at the amount of compliments I've received on the loops for the engine and the bags. Thank God haven't gone down and i pray i don't but I feel good about my recent addtion.

Face it. If anyone build a cage big enough to protect against all damage, none of us would want it
wink.png

IMG_0037_zpsc5721c5c.jpg
With the addition of a slider to the Cayon Cage it is much less likely that the bike will pivot on the contact point of the Canyon Cage and go wheels up. Changes the angle of the dangle and moment of momentum or some such chit. Just know it worked for my bike's nap.

I'd like to see the SW-Motech models on a Gen 3 - they don't have full bike pics on their site

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-frame-slider-kit-for-yamaha-fjr1300-06-13

fool.gif
I'm not sure but I don't think they're motivated by the Canyon Cages. I think the 2013s might just be lazy: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/157902-well-the-gen-iii-oem-sliders-work/

Maybe it's that "pavement grey" colour trying to make its way home?

From the title I expected this to be about cars crashing into bikes in the canyons.
aikido.gif

I need to stay away from this section of the forums (accessories)... makes me want to buy more stuff! Last night I had Clearwater Erica lights on the brain (and the fantasy of *gasp* being able to ride at night!).

Every crash I've ever been in has been a low slide. The accident that totaled my '06 FJR was a low slide at highway speeds but these possibly would have saved it. The damage was cosmetic but managed to scrape every bit of plastic on the bike and total it out none the less.

Question: Where do you buy these? I found the website for MC Enterprises and I can see the canyon crashers but there's no "add to cart"? Are they sold exclusively through dealers or something?

wink.png

IMG_0037_zpsc5721c5c.jpg
I had one drop at zero speed..... the upper bar of the cages is right at the pivot point of the bike while on its side. There would be benefit if It were both a bit higher and curve outward at least one bar diameter or have a slider to prevent the ease of going wheels up/handlebars & mirrors down. If you want to test it, just push your bike over to find out a little momentum will make it go past the pivot point........ naw don't. That said, you are better off with the cages than not and I do recommend them.

Last edited by a moderator: