Crotch Rocket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a stealth crotch rocket. Quiet but fast. Non-stink bug sitting position but will do 0-60 in 3 seconds. Works for me. B)

I'm sure some insurance companies would love to classify it as a crotch rocket so they could charge us up the wahzoo. I gotta go along with it's a crotchet rocket. :p

Besides, if you rode a real no-doubt-about-it, bonifide yeehaaaa crotch rocket and then rode the FJR you'd probably step off it at speed wondering what all the hoopala was about.

That extra couple of hundred pounds, relaxed steering geometry, and the engines power curve make a world of difference.

That said, its still more motorcycle than many of us are rider. I'd love to watch someone who can really ride, wring one of these out at the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having owned several big inline 4 Japanese bikes beginning almost exactly 29 years ago, "crotch rocket" is one term (along with rice burner and rice rocket) that I don't particularly understand or know how to respond to. I heard it again last week -- someone asked me if what I rode was a crotch rocket. My standard and sincere reply is "I don't honestly know what that is." Seems to me like the term (along with "ricer", "rice burner" and "rice rocket") was originally coined as a perjorative, better fits much lighter 600cc to 750cc sportbikes (if anything), and that those terms are almost always used to distinguish between a Harley and anything Japanese, mostly by non-riders and Harley owners.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it doesn't particularly offend me, but as far as Im concerned, my bikes are all "motorcycles", or if I need to be more descriptive: "street bikes" or "sport tourers". The XXs lean more to the sport end than the FJR, and may be close to being "sport bikes" but even the FJR is a LOT sportier, faster and better handling than a Wing, ST or Road King.

I have NEVER put rice or saki in the gas tank of any of my big Jap 4s, but they'll all run away from antiquated 2 wheeled farm machinery like it'd quit running -- a too common occurrence, BTW.

Occurs to me that maybe I just need a commonly accepted definition -- is any 1000cc+ bike a "crotch" rocket, and if so, which ones qualify and why?

From what I understand, "Crotch Rocket" is a phrase used by mostly cruiser style riders. As they class bikes thusly:

Harleys

Chopper/Custom

Crusier

Crotch Rocket

Off Road/Dirt bike

and the only bike they believe is a "touring bike" is a Gold Wing.

Part of this is due to the fact that the "standard" bikes offered today look like unfaired "race bikes" to the general folk so even they can be considered "crotch rockets."

The general rule seems to follow that all bikes that are NOT cruiser style bikes, or off road style bikes, are in fact called crotch rockets. This covers everything from 250 Ninjas to Ducatis. Oddly BMW's may or may not fall into this catagory depending on how old they are.

Also it must be noted that the phrase is used widely and often incorrectly.

The true term "Crotch Rocket" was first used on the shaved down cafe racers of England. The low bars and rearsets used were the fact that the rider looked as if he was not sitting on his ass, but resting his weight on his crotch , was what started the whole thing. So any bike which "looked" fast and had that forward leaned riding possition were referred to as Crotch Rockets.

KM

I don't consider this bike a crotch rocket at all but alot who see pics of her refer to it as such. What do you guys think?~ B)
In my eyes, the FJR is not a "crutch rocket"...

THe FJR goes much farther than a rocket.... Therefore it must be a

[SIZE=14pt]"CRUTCH ICBM"[/SIZE]

That's why I park mine in a silo.

And Yamaha really nailed it by calling it, "Super" Sport Tourer. When I think crotch rocket, I usually think of the sport bikes with the low handlebars; the racer posture.

I don't consider this bike a crotch rocket at all but alot who see pics of her refer to it as such. What do you guys think?~ B)
I don't think your "a lot of people" know much about bikes.

I get the same thing from some of the older Wingsters.

Short description:

If it belongs on a track but can be ridden on the street - it's a crotch rocket. :ph34r:

Hell, there are Harleys that are quicker than the FJR. Certainly wouldn't consider them crotch rockets. IMO, a crotch rocket is nothing more than a device that transfers horsepower to the ground, in the lightest and most efficient street legal manner. As I see it, not even all sport bikes qualify. R6, not really. R1, debatable. Busa, definitely. :eek:

Hell, there are Harleys that are quicker than the FJR. Certainly wouldn't consider them crotch rockets.
Really? You aren't talking about off-the-shelf bikes, are you? I mean, what HD is quicker than anything at all? No cheap shot, just an honest question.