Cup Holders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So do you guys drink from a cup in a cup holder while riding? I have a full face helmet so I really don't see how practical that is for me anyway. But just curious...
I habitually drink and sip at all stops, so it's pretty rare I drink while underway

and when not on the slab, I drink at some of the red light stops

BTW, I carry 5 bottles of water in a little $5 WalMart soft ice chest...3 of those bottles were frozen at home

they keep the other 2 bottles cool while melting

(then there's the other one in the cup holder)

I've always ridden with a flip helmet

my technique is to loosen the cap on the bottle of water before leaving the house

windshield all the way up, visor closed, flip helmet open and to horizontal

cap off and place in tank bag pocket...drinky drinky (and in summer, pour down jacket)

replace cap from tank bag pocket

close helmet, visor up, lower shield

in between, scanning road for safety

I have a small Camelback that I use on long hot rides. I place it in my tank bag on top of all the other stuff in there so I can push down on the top of the tank bag and help the water out the hose. It is awkward working the hose up under the chin bar, but that does work once you get used to it.

On normal rides I just keep a few bottles of water in my luggage and drink when I stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to to the camel back in the tank bag. I also tried the thermos on the footpeg set up that are the basis of several hydration systems. I just hated having that drink tube flopping around. It always seemed to get in the way sooner or later.

Finally, I just bolted a bicycle water bottle cage to a RAM ball, then got a bicycle water ball with a built in straw. Works great with my modular helmet if I want to take a sip while riding though I usually wait for a stop.

waterbottle2.jpg

I did a search using Google: cup holders site:fjrforum.comI hope you can find the information you seek. Happy reading!
That search turns up this nifty-looking RAM cupholder:

Img_0290.jpg

But no info on where to find one. I did another Google search and found Cycle Gadgets sells it, and I'm going to snag one from them. I want something to hold the standard fast food cups, so that rules out the camelbak and other stuff.
I have that model. Absolutely a great buy. One of my favorite farkles!

Can't remember where I bought it, though...

So do you guys drink from a cup in a cup holder while riding? I have a full face helmet so I really don't see how practical that is for me anyway. But just curious...
Hey, I once saw a Goldwing go by with the driver munching chips from a bag in his lap... :blink:
Total hijack but that is the funniest visual I have ever had surfing the internet.

42.jpg

riding.jpg

Camel Back type of deal here too. 3L insulated. Hot days/long trips I fill it half full of ice and the balance with water. Still cool and refreshing at the end of a long day. Plus, its cool on your back despite the insulation.

Funny bit was some local guys made fun of me wearing it on hot humid ride up here last year. I threw on my cool vest and sipped cold water all day long. End of the day, 2 of the other 3 guys had raging headaches and sunburn from dehydration. Live 'n learn.

Edited to add- Just realized this is a prehistoric thread. I committed a resurrectus violation...

Long trips in summer- nothing beats camelbak. I even put one on the seatback of my work vehicle sometimes in the summer. But whether you drink en route or not, having a bottle of water right in front of your face at stops and when you're getting on and off the bike is convenient, and usually results in a bit more fluid intake than having to dig one out. Both options have their place. Either way, the camelbak gets filled with ice and topped off with water. If I'm carrying water in individual bottles, they get frozen or partially frozen the night before.

I used to to the camel back in the tank bag. I also tried the thermos on the footpeg set up that are the basis of several hydration systems. I just hated having that drink tube flopping around. It always seemed to get in the way sooner or later.

Finally, I just bolted a bicycle water bottle cage to a RAM ball, then got a bicycle water ball with a built in straw. Works great with my modular helmet if I want to take a sip while riding though I usually wait for a stop.

waterbottle2.jpg

Camel back style, wear it on my back, adapted a 90 degree mouthpiece to replace the straight in one which was difficult to use with FF Shoei. Carry some roasted almonds in my tank bag which I have learned to shove into my pie hole left handed while riding. Works for me.

I use a skyway system or a camel back on the FJR and have 34 oz. Butler cups on the wing

I have to chime in and recommend the ram mounts cup holder. It swivels in place to act sort of gyroscopically (I know that's not the right word, but it's what comes to mind), so when you accelerate the cup tilts in the proper direction to prevent spilling. It's also perfectly sized for a venti or trenta iced coffee cup from starbucks.

I have to chime in and recommend the ram mounts cup holder. It swivels in place to act sort of gyroscopically (I know that's not the right word, but it's what comes to mind), so when you accelerate the cup tilts in the proper direction to prevent spilling. It's also perfectly sized for a venti or trenta iced coffee cup from starbucks.
Gimbal

I also use camelback type.

Funniest drink holder I remember was a guy I used to work with on graveyard shift many years ago. He commuted 30 miles one way and always opened a tall boy, slipped it in his jacket pocket, ran a plastic tube up to his mouth, and drank it on the way in to work every night. When he got off work at 7:30 AM he would stop across the street at a convenience store and pick up another for the ride home.

Bill Lumberg: Thanks for the thread resurrection. Couple of chuckles, and interesting posts from members long gone. BTW, sailboat cupholders are gimbaled; they may be adaptable to motorbikes.

I'll be looking for twirly straws so I can sip with the full face on. Full face + eyeglasses = minor hassles to remove or replace.

Recieved RAM cupholder GIMBALLLLL assy. Works great.

I made a cup holder that is completely removable but holds a large foam cup from McDonalds. I love going through the drive up to order a drink and when I get to the window they look at me like I am crazy. When they see me put it in my cup holder they always laugh as they are surprised to see it. I have only lost one cup. That was due to the cup being practically empty and I was running about 95 and the way the cross wind was working with my screen it created a vacuum I guess and sucked it right out. I can have a full cup of tea and take a sharp turn and all is good with no spills...me nor the cup.

I used a few hardware store items and some ingenuity and I have used this cup holder for 5 years now with no problems. I will try to upload some pictures that I have but I just can't quite figure out how to do it. I can make a good cup holder but not post a pic...Hmmm