custom made risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Today I installed a set of polished stainless steel risers I bought from Michael Burns, an Oregon machinist and forum member. I'm so impressed with the quality, fit, and finish, I thought I'd post them for you. They offer a 1 1/4 rise and adjustable pull back angle. As you can see by the pictures, each one is made of 2 disks. The top disk rotates on a shaft sticking up from the bottom disk, and is locked in place by a pinch bolt.

CIMG0263med.jpg

The lower disk that attaches to the bike has a shaft on which the top disk is mounted by way of a hold down bolt and a pinch bolt. The first bolt insures that the two "halves" can't separate, and the pinch bolt locks the rotating top disk in place once you chose the angle of pull back you want. Check with Mike on price and availability.

CIMG0269med.jpg

Mike's email address is: [email protected]

Gary

darksider #44

Today I installed a set of polished stainless steel risers I bought from Michael Burns, an Oregon machinist and forum member. I'm so impressed with the quality, fit, and finish, I thought I'd post them for you. They offer a 1 1/4 rise and adjustable pull back angle. As you can see by the pictures, each one is made of 2 disks. The top disk rotates on a shaft sticking up from the bottom disk, and is locked in place by a pinch bolt.

CIMG0263med.jpg

The lower disk that attaches to the bike has a shaft on which the top disk is mounted by way of a hold down bolt and a pinch bolt. The first bolt insures that the two "halves" can't separate, and the pinch bolt locks the rotating top disk in place once you chose the angle of pull back you want. Check with Mike on price and availability.

CIMG0269med.jpg

Mike's email address is: [email protected]

Gary

darksider #44
Here's a photo showing the location of the pinch bolt. Concerning those of you with Gen II bikes, perhaps if enough people expressed an interest in his design, he might consider making gen II risers as well. Having been a machinist myself years ago, designing and building the first set is the hard part. I cannot speak for him though. You Gen II owners will have to contact him directly if you have an interest... again, his email is [email protected]
CIMG0276med.jpg

Gary

dardsider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
stock brake and clutch lines? or did you need to install longer ones?
Stock lines. I didn't change anything. The whole thing took me 1/2 hour. He even supplied the stainless bolts and allen wrenches. Normal handlebar width is 29 1/2 inches as measured from the outsides of the bar ends. I pulled them back until they measured 27 1/2 inches. Not sure what the pull-back angle is now, but I do know that the grips are a whole lot closer to the rider than they were, and I'm a happy camper. I'm 5'8" and the reach to the bars was just too far for me. I'm much more confy sitting up a little bit.
Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice,

Perhaps he can begin a design for the GEN II models.
There is an alternate solution, buy riser blocks and then remove one of the pins on the bottom of the bars. I recommend the inboard one, then you can rotate the bars back, up to about an inch. That in combo with the bars in the rearmost position may be enough to keep you happy.

These are similar to and the same concept as Meissner Handlebar Adapters sold by whaccessories. Different in design, but same concept. They are higher than the Meissners and maybe not quite as secure from what I can see (the one pinch bolt), but look OK, also seem a bit simpler in ways. Although I had Meissners on my '05 and was very satisfied with them, if a Forum member began producing them (above) for the Gen IIs I'd go with them simply to support a Forum member.