Custom rack for top case anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTP07

Reaction score
Has anyone created a custom rack for their top case?

I think the Shad one for my SH50 is a little small and a little overpriced for what it is.

Has anyone had one made up or made one up themselves?

My son in law is a welder and I was thinking of having him make one this winter for me.

I did a search and couldn't find anything on the site.

Cheers,

Randy.

upper%20rack.gif

I've often considered this myself but after reading tales of broken rear subframes and the fairly light recommended carrying weight from Mama Yama I suspect that's why we haven't seen any.

Look in the for sale section at Garauld's Showcase. He makes a lot of items and are all of high quality

Perhaps we're miscommunicating here. I interpreted the question to be that OP is looking for a rack to go on the lid of his top box to provide an additional place to lash down bags. The SHAD rack pictured I thought was for that not to mount the box to the bike.

The aluminum rack you referenced is listed for the 50L top box and looks very similar to the Givi mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be clear, I am looking for a custom rack to go ON TOP of my SH50, rather than the oem one pictured.

I am probably going to source a local weld shop to make one for me. I will get them to reinforce the rear internal bracket at the same time.

I will post pics when I am done.

Cheers,

RB

That's what I thought you were asking for. Please be very careful with how much you try to carry like that. There have been plenty of reports of rear subframe breakage from overloading top boxes already without adding even more back there.

Just a thought.... I worked the parts department of a HD dealership for years and Harley offers several different racks for the lids of their tour packs. You may want to stop by a Harley dealer and ask if you can see how one would fit on a Yamaha top box. I never tried it myself but I can tell you I can easily see how one may work.Downside is it will be chrome, upside is the racks don't say Harley Davidson on them. May be a less expensive route than having it fabbed up.