Custom seats NOT made in CA?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
I'm in TX now, and will be going on vacation to my wonderful home state of NJ. But are there ANY places that could be traveled to inbetween there that make custom seats? All the Mayer makers, Russell, and Corbin are ALL in CA. Is there anyone, ANYONE that is NOT in CA that I could make along the way between Jersey and TX?

C'mon CA, SHARE THE WEALTH!

Alexi

I'm in TX now, and will be going on vacation to my wonderful home state of NJ. But are there ANY places that could be traveled to inbetween there that make custom seats? All the Mayer makers, Russell, and Corbin are ALL in CA. Is there anyone, ANYONE that is NOT in CA that I could make along the way between Jersey and TX?

Alexi
Rich's seats in Seattle are world class, but that don't help ya. Sorry....

Alexi
Rich's seats in Seattle are world class, but that don't help ya. Sorry....
rotfl. Thanks for the tip ;) But yeah, STILL the wrong side of the country!!!!

BMS will do a seat for you via the mail. Send them your seats (or pans) and some pictures of you (and sig. other if you ride 2 up) sitting on the bike. They'll ask you about your riding style and form a seat for you. Takes a few business days all told. Downside is you won't get to do the QA check before it's covered & finished. Go check out the site. (BMS website).

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
This might help.....

"The Seat Guy" I think is up in the Chicago area. He does some impressive work and is really resonable. He just did my brothers GS and I'm getting ready to have him do my 1300. His name is Jon Revilla He doesn't have a website yet. (630) 650-6002

In two weeks I have a ride-in appt at Bitchin' Stichin' in Lakewood... Between Golden and Denver. The guy said he's done a few FJR's and is familiar with the seat problem. The main ingredients he uses is the new gel pad (not silicon based but some kinda of squishy plastic) plus foam. The guy said he can take some height and width off the seat if need be.

I was impressed by him not trying to sell me a new cover... he said I should consider using the oem cover to save money plus it's a durable material that allows flexing. He explained that problem with leather that unless it's fitted correctly that it won't "give" when the ass is tendered to the seat... said this is why some riders don't like Corbin is cuz the cover doesn't flex enough for the rider to actually enjoy all of the materials underneath. (his words, not mine)

He also gave me a guarantee that after purchase I can return for free adjustments within a reasonable amt of time. That even if he takes off to much height that he can add it back.

Hmmm... the guy didn't push me for a replacement cover, isn't charging me extra to ride-in for custom fit, willing to adjust the seat afterwards for free, and is familiar with the FJR seat. Sounds like this could be the ticket. I'll give a ride report in a few weeks.

In two weeks I have a ride-in appt at Bitchin' Stichin' in Lakewood... Between Golden and Denver. The guy said he's done a few FJR's and is familiar with the seat problem. The main ingredients he uses is the new gel pad (not silicon based but some kinda of squishy plastic) plus foam. The guy said he can take some height and width off the seat if need be.
I was impressed by him not trying to sell me a new cover... he said I should consider using the oem cover to save money plus it's a durable material that allows flexing. He explained that problem with leather that unless it's fitted correctly that it won't "give" when the ass is tendered to the seat... said this is why some riders don't like Corbin is cuz the cover doesn't flex enough for the rider to actually enjoy all of the materials underneath. (his words, not mine)

He also gave me a guarantee that after purchase I can return for free adjustments within a reasonable amt of time. That even if he takes off to much height that he can add it back.

Hmmm... the guy didn't push me for a replacement cover, isn't charging me extra to ride-in for custom fit, willing to adjust the seat afterwards for free, and is familiar with the FJR seat. Sounds like this could be the ticket. I'll give a ride report in a few weeks.
That sounds like a place I could ride up to and get my seat done.

IMHO, Spencer seat mod is money well spent, and much less $$$ than full custom seat.

He's as close as your UPS Dropoff point. Typically gets your seat(s) done and returned in one week.