Custom Stainless Steel Fork Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
schwing.jpg

No Kiddin' !!!

+1

Put me on the list if you make them.

Hi Gang!

I did some research for the build cost on the stand and I think I will start to build a few and see how it goes. I'm ordering materials this week and should have at least a couple built by the first weekend in Feb. I also think I will add the option of wheel color to more match the basic bike color and make it more custom for you.

I will charge $212 for each stand and $6 for UPS ground shipping in the U.S.. P.M. me if you are interested and and Ill get to work. :weight_lift:

As asked above but not answered, does the wheel/tire clear the fender and that big round handle in the lifted position?

I don't know nuthin from nuthin, but looks like your wheel won't clear the fender and the handle on your lift. I might suggest using the same rectangular steel for the handle and making it go flat to the floor. Or a finger's thickness to the floor so you can grab it. Always nice to be able to leave the fender on to get the wheel out.

As asked above but not answered, does the wheel/tire clear the fender and that big round handle in the lifted position?
I don't know nuthin from nuthin, but looks like your wheel won't clear the fender and the handle on your lift. I might suggest using the same rectangular steel for the handle and making it go flat to the floor. Or a finger's thickness to the floor so you can grab it. Always nice to be able to leave the fender on to get the wheel out.
FJRocket,

I'm sorry I didn't answer before. Here is the short answer. In order for the wheel to come out of the forks, the fender must be removed (4 bolts). If the fender was left on the wheel would have to be approx. 9" off the floor making it very unstable.

The photo of the stand with the handle 12" off the floor is just to show the starting point for inserting the tabs into the fork bores. :)

Great job! I thought about getting a fork stand after pulling my front wheel for a tire change last week. I was thinking about something like this

SKY239-a.jpg

although not nearly as heavy duty as yours, I thought it might work for occasional tire changes. Had you tried this universal type before you decided to fab your own?

Great job! I thought about getting a fork stand after pulling my front wheel for a tire change last week. I was thinking about something like this
SKY239-a.jpg

although not nearly as heavy duty as yours, I thought it might work for occasional tire changes. Had you tried this universal type before you decided to fab your own?
I did try one of that style that my friend had. It will hold up the front but my concern was the stability of the stand just sitting with the tire off. When I slightly wiggled the handlebars the bike wobbled a bit and it didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling thinking about the cost to replace the plastic on the front of the bike if it fell. I think the two little black forks holding the bottom of the suspension fork is a compromise to allow it to be used with many different bikes ( it also sat a little too close to the ABS sensor). I didn't want to compromise.

The one I made fits very securely into the bores on the bottom of the fork and feels more stable than even the center stand. :)

FJR.

Yeah, that makes sense to me. Your stand definitely looks solid. I may end up getting one from you. Just gotta find room in my shed for another thing... I wish I had doubled the size when I built it!

Just curious?

Was the angle on the top post figured out when the front tire was on the ground? Looks like it could be tweeked a bit for when the tire is off the ground.

Just my OCD coming out again. Sometimes i tend be a little anal. OH OH, THAT COULD BE A LEADIN FOR BUSTANUT AND ODOT.

Just curious?
Was the angle on the top post figured out when the front tire was on the ground? Looks like it could be tweeked a bit for when the tire is off the ground.

Just my OCD coming out again. Sometimes i tend be a little anal. OH OH, THAT COULD BE A LEADIN FOR BUSTANUT AND ODOT.

Aah, no BUSTANUT coming your eye for detail is too good! You are exactly correct. The angle was calculated BEFORE I had determined the location of the wheel axis. It was only a couple of degrees but I have since corrected for it. :derisive:

The first order is in! "Kaitsdad" sent me a P.M. and maybe he will post his review in a couple of weeks. I hope you will like it "Kaitsdad"!!

Thanks again!! :derisive:

If I order one, how does it work ?
Will you be able to send it to Gary after for the paint ?

thanks
Gary "garauld" has posted that he could do the powdercoating for $20 + S&H. If you like, since I dont powdercoat, I can send the completed stand directly to him and see if he will send it directly to you to save time.

Not to offend fjrshanta, but I was just wondering why build a stand when you can pick up as set of Front & Rear stands for $110 for both from T-Rex-Racing. And these are versatile enough to cover any other bikes you have and come in a variety of colors and finishes. I ask because the front stand I had for an SV650 also worked on the FJR.

Style #1

Style #2

Last edited by a moderator:
Style #1

Thanks, did not know that they fit the FJR.

Will go with this solution, much cheaper and I will have both.

Probably what FJRshanta propose is more solid, but I will used them only once in a while.

Style #1

Thanks, did not know that they fit the FJR.

Will go with this solution, much cheaper and I will have both.

Probably what FJRshanta propose is more solid, but I will used them only once in a while.
I am assuming they fit the FJR, based on the fact that a similar one I had for the SV650 did. I will be ordering a set for my other new (old) bike a Honda SuperHawk, so will be able to try them to see if they also work on the FJR. I'll post the result.