CyclePort Gear modifications

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Recently had mods done to my CP jacket and pants, thought I'd share.

Pants -

1. New CP pants don't have Velcro on the zippers. Had my Velcro removed, much easier/faster getting in and out now.

2. Extra belt loops - now the stupid belt doesn't get twisted and when I pull up on the belt, the pants actually go up too. No more plumbers crack. :lol:

3. Soft material sewn into the inner thigh are to prevent scratching of gas tanks.

Jacket-

1. External 'pouch' sewn on left forearm for SPOT. Now if I should do an Old Michael trick and end up down a cliff the SPOT will be with my body not the bike.

2. New forearm zippers - that actually lock when fully closed to prevent zipper creep (when wearing short gloves).

New Stuff -

1. Wayne has hooked up with Warm & Safe. Come late Jan he's expecting the first shipment of W&S heated liners that will zip into CP jackets and/or CP liners. Not sure about pants.

:angry:

I just bought a heated liner for my jacket and was wishing that motoport had them...

thanks for the info though..nice to know.

I also had the zippers removed from my pants and I will warn you of one thing. the zippers scratched the plastic near the foot pegs because they were exposed. I had to send the pants back and they put 1" tabs which cover the zippers and provblem solved but the damage is done. be careful.

Pants -

1. New CP pants don't have Velcro on the zippers. Had my Velcro removed, much easier/faster getting in and out now. How much did this cost?2. Extra belt loops - now the stupid belt doesn't get twisted and when I pull up on the belt, the pants actually go up too. No more plumbers crack. :lol: How much did this cost?3. Soft material sewn into the inner thigh are to prevent scratching of gas tanks.

Jacket-

1. External 'pouch' sewn on left forearm for SPOT. Now if I should do an Old Michael trick and end up down a cliff the SPOT will be with my body not the bike.

2. New forearm zippers - that actually lock when fully closed to prevent zipper creep (when wearing short gloves).

New Stuff -

1. Wayne has hooked up with Warm & Safe. Come late Jan he's expecting the first shipment of W&S heated liners that will zip into CP jackets and/or CP liners. Not sure about pants.

I would love your first too improvments. I have a Second Look tank bra, so don't need the soft stuff added. :)

Dave

If you could, please post some pictures of your mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
:angry:

I just bought a heated liner for my jacket and was wishing that motoport had them...

thanks for the info though..nice to know.

I also had the zippers removed from my pants and I will warn you of one thing. the zippers scratched the plastic near the foot pegs because they were exposed. I had to send the pants back and they put 1" tabs which cover the zippers and provblem solved but the damage is done. be careful.
Hadn't thought about that - of course my bikes are, uhhh, used. Yeah, that's the word. :p

Pants -

1. New CP pants don't have Velcro on the zippers. Had my Velcro removed, much easier/faster getting in and out now. How much did this cost?2. Extra belt loops - now the stupid belt doesn't get twisted and when I pull up on the belt, the pants actually go up too. No more plumbers crack. :lol: How much did this cost?3. Soft material sewn into the inner thigh are to prevent scratching of gas tanks.

Jacket-

New Stuff -

I would love your fist too improvments. I have a Second Look tank bra, so don't need the soft stuff added. :)

Dave

If you could, please post some pictures of your mods.
Will do. Total cost for all work was 77 bucks.

Pants -

1. New CP pants don't have Velcro on the zippers. Had my Velcro removed, much easier/faster getting in and out now.

2. Extra belt loops - now the stupid belt doesn't get twisted and when I pull up on the belt, the pants actually go up too. No more plumbers crack. :lol:

3. Soft material sewn into the inner thigh are to prevent scratching of gas tanks.

Jacket-

New Stuff -

Thanks for the info Dcarver, I've see the kind of abrasions the standard MP pants cause to the FJR plastic, now how about some pics please? ;)

The best modification to Cycleport................wearing REALLY dark sunglasses so you can't see that ugly ass suit when you look in the mirror ! :p

Too bad I don't live closer to CP or I'd have some mods made as well. Prices seem reasonable considering you know it's done right and Wayne stands behind his products. Thanks for the information Carver!

--G

Thanks for the info. I must be a bit slow and didn't even think about calling Wayne to get these items fixed. The rough pants scratching my tank is one of my three complaints. The second is the sleeve zippers unzipping. The third is not enough belt loops. Looks like my suit will be perfect with the mods. Thanks again and I'll have to give Wayne a call tomorrow. :good:

Apologies for no pix tonight - had to pay bills online and what not.

Will attempt again mananna...

signed

useless :****:

Still wanting to see your upgrade pics...

Dave
Soft material added to inner thighs to prevent scratching of gas tanks..

DSC08085.jpg

No more flap on leg zippers.

DSC08087.jpg

Extra belt loops

DSC08093.jpg

Leg partially unzippered - much better/easier/faster.

DSC08094.jpg

SPOT pocket added to left forearm.

DSC08095.jpg

DSC08096.jpg

DSC08097.jpg

All well worth the ~ $80 USD...

I like the SPOT pocket idea! Mine is mounted to a RAM clutch reservoir mount which could prove pretty useless in a get-off.

Man, that's a GOOD LOOKIN' Kitty you have! I dig the spots. Is he/she thrown from a Bengal mixed breeding?

I haven't noticed any damage to my plastic, but now I'm parinoid The other mods seem like no brainers, now its just a question of when to send it in.

The mods look good. Have you had a chance to ride the bike since getting the soft material added to the pants? It seems like it might help one get a better grip on the tank. The Kevlar mesh really slides on my leather seat and makes it hard to get a good grip on the tank when riding on rough roads, during rapid stops, and a while ridding a bit on the aggressive side. I have Tank Slapper on the tank to protect it from scratches. I am looking at some of the Tech Spec pads to fix this.

The Spot pocket looks like a good idea. I like the idea of having it on my arm. I've been putting mine in my left cargo pocket of my pants. I like the idea of having the device with me in case of a get off. I get good reception in this location. I just wonder if it might get crushed if I go sliding down the road. CAJW puts his Spot in one of his side cases. He puts it in the little pouch on top of the stock bag liners. The device is able to get good reception in this location. I think he said he just makes sure not to put it under the lock mechanism.

Side note - cool thing about putting the SPOT under mesh is you can still see the blinky lights, even in daylight.

..and yes, I carry both cell phone and spot on the body, just in case.

(unless the phone needs charging while riding)

Good mods!! I wish I would of thought of a few them when I sent my gear back previous this year. :unsure: My mesh gear was fraying in a lot of places also the velcro was seperating from the pockets. This was all repair for a min cost. I really can't complain, I have 3+ years of pretty hard DS and street bike riding to wear this gear out. My only complaint is that I wish Wayne would make a riding pant that has the zipper on the outside of leg instead of the inside. This way when riding the DS it waouldn't be uncomfortable to stand on the pegs.

Well... Don must be really be loved by Wayne. :)

I called today and got a quote of $79 to remove velcro strip mod. and $39 for the soft material on inner thighs. I forgot to ask how much the extra belt loops were going to be.

I didn't feel it was right to bring up the cost dcarver got ($77) at the time.

Don, do you think it would be okay to bring your pricing up? My quote of $118+ shipping both ways, didn't include your spot mod or belt loops.

Still not a bad deal but the $40 dollars (dcarver savings) would basically cover my cost of shipping the pants to them and covering shipping back.

Dave

Well... Don must be really be loved by Wayne. :)

I called today and got a quote of $79 to remove velcro strip mod. and $39 for the soft material on inner thighs. I forgot to ask how much the extra belt loops were going to be.

I didn't feel it was right to bring up the cost dcarver got ($77) at the time.

Don, do you think it would be okay to bring your pricing up? My quote of $118+ shipping both ways, didn't include your spot mod or belt loops.

Still not a bad deal but the $40 dollars (dcarver savings) would basically cover my cost of shipping the pants to them and covering shipping back.

Dave
Interesting question. Wayne may have given me a break since I bought a jacket liner and neck thingie on the spot and have committed to purchase a complete top to bottom heated assembly that will fit to the CP gear. I will say I was pleasantly surprised at the price and Johhny80's even said words to effect of 'doode, you got a steal!'.

I'd ask you not to bring up the price given to me as I'm pretty sure Wayne didn't make any money on the mods at my price - and the price was most likely a favor. In hindsight, I should not have posted the number.

Honestly, I'd happily paid the 'retail' price given the amount of work involved. Oops, just re-read your post and you didn't get the SPOT or belt loops. Let's consider this. Belt loops = minimum material and labor, ez-peazy should be only 20 bucks max. The SPOT pocket though, is more difficult to build and used Velcro too. Hmmm.

Yeah, I'd still pop on the $118, but that's just me.

Kudos to you Dave, for having the sensitivity to ask before mentioning it Wayne. You just went up 100 notches in my 'AttaBoy' book! :yahoo: