CyclePort Gear modifications

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sending stuff back to Wayne for alterations is cost-prohibitive from here, but I'm off to see our local tailor with some pics from your thread Don - ATTABOY!! Those leg zipper velcro flaps have always driven Syl and I crazy - this be much mo' betta!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, when I asked you the price I was just wanting a ball park figure to see if it was even worth calling Wayne. I'm at a cost of about $160 with shipping.

Question for me is???? Is it a $160 dollars worth of a "pain in my ass" to deal with the velcro? :)

Dave

I like the zipper flap-ectomy. I may have that done some time in the future. Just curious, did you consider adding the stretch (soft) material to the bottom front of the jacket also? If I didn't have the Second Skin bra, that would be as important to me as the thigh material.

I had the zippers replaced on my jacket the day before you did. He replaced the jacket main zipper and both sleeve zippers. The new zippers seem a little better than the zippers that originally came with the gear (although they look identical). Those things took a gorilla and a ton of patience to get them started. These new zippers seem to pop right into position and start much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the zipper flap-ectomy. I may have that done some time in the future. Just curious, did you consider adding the stretch (soft) material to the bottom front of the jacket also? If I didn't have the Second Skin bra, that would be as important to me as the thigh material.

I had the zippers replaced on my jacket the day before you did. He replaced the jacket main zipper and both sleeve zippers. The new zippers seem a little better than the zippers that originally came with the gear (although they look identical). Those things took a gorilla and a ton of patience to get them started. These new zippers seem to pop right into position and start much easier.

I've been thinking of adding a strip of velcro across the cuffs of my sleeve zippers as a cheap way of keeping them from unzipping themselves. The work could be done locally and would be much easier than replacing the whole zipper. I still think the soft material in the crotch would be a huge improvement.

The mods look good. Have you had a chance to ride the bike since getting the soft material added to the pants? It seems like it might help one get a better grip on the tank.
I've never really had an issue with gripping the tank - so I can't say if it's better or not. My street riding style is so unorthodox that most don't know how I make even a RadioHowie corner. (corner on a Florida road) :huh:

Sending stuff back to Wayne for alterations is cost-prohibitive from here, but I'm off to see our local tailor with some pics from your thread Don - ATTABOY!! Those leg zipper velcro flaps have always driven Syl and I crazy - this be much mo' betta!
Cool! Yes I think a good leather shop or other tailor who can work with heavy material could do the work too. Wayne does use Kevlar thread, which may not be available locally, but sewing in a zipper should be easy.
Hey Bubba, great to meet you recently. My mods were to not scatch my beloved HD Ultra gas tank. The HD tank sits much lower than the FJR - so the jacket isn't a problem. And KrZy8's tank is protected by CarverTape ™, :lol: .

I've been thinking of adding a strip of velcro across the cuffs of my sleeve zippers as a cheap way of keeping them from unzipping themselves. The work could be done locally and would be much easier than replacing the whole zipper. I still think the soft material in the crotch would be a huge improvement.
That was my initial thought too. Wayne stated that the zipper should lock and not creep or unzip. And that a flap across the zipper might/could/would cause annoying wrist pressure. Not sure I agree, but I tend to agree since when I wear nose-picker gloves or mx gloves and wrap the glove flap around the zipper I can feel the zipper head on my wrist.
The new zippers *do* lock and don't creep. Then again, they are new. I'll report back, if I remember, after about 2 months and 1000 zips... :)

Well - I thought about the Kevlar thread and my natural inertia resulted in me never getting the work done near home. But Wayne and his team did the zipper flap brisses on both my pants and Sylvia's today - great workmanship and same-day service!

Cycleport is a class act, and while I fervently hope that I never torture-test the design like MadMike and others, I know we're doing what we can to stay safe ATGATT-wise. :yahoo:

Well - I thought about the Kevlar thread and my natural inertia resulted in me never getting the work done near home. But Wayne and his team did the zipper flap brisses on both my pants and Sylvia's today - great workmanship and same-day service!

Cycleport is a class act, and while I fervently hope that I never torture-test the design like MadMike and others, I know we're doing what we can to stay safe ATGATT-wise. :yahoo:
Good information Dave.

Sounds like it's time for me to send the pants in and have the velcro mod made and some extra belt loops added.

--G