DaJuice and Cruzin need a fuel cell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of suggestions:

You might want to consider some diagonal bracing. Something as simple as thin sheet screwed to those vertical supports.

Fuelcellmountweb_marked-up.JPG

Also, if the cell is going to be mounted that high, haven't you already cleared the rack? I don't think you need to go with the "T" shaped tank. All you need is to break the lower rear edge. Like this:

Fuelcellmountweb_marked-up2.JPG

Excuse the crude drawing. I didn't spend too much time on it. (We might end up being competitors you know)

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is just the prototype one. The one we use will be sitting about 3/4 " lower and the legs will be on the inside of the top base, like I had said in the previous post my mesurments were a bit off on that one. I think we got it dialed in today :clapping: The main things were accomplished we found out it will slide in to the rear mount like we wanted and now have a good idea of what we want for height and storage in the mount. :D

We finally cut some aluminum. Here is one of the sides last Thursday under the waterjet :yahoo: I dropped them off this morning to get bent :yahoo:

fuel-cell-side-under-waterjet-e1269118469104.jpg

I picked up the 2 bent sides after work today. They look good proped up on the bike, now I need to figure out how close to the drawing they are. Looking forward to remodeling all the other pieces if this is too far off.

SDC10441.JPG

SDC10444.JPG

The bending was a bit off. I adjusted the dimensions of the rest of the pieces to maintain the volume and we cut them out last night on the waterjet. I gave the pieces for mine to my welder and I'm getting the other set to Cruzin Sunday. Finally some progress again.

MoT%20Cut%20Out.jpg

Just studying your photo a little..

How thick are your aluminum plates? They look thicker than 1/8".

Did you go with the 12 bolt hole pattern because the stub filler neck isn't available in the 6 bolt hole pattern?

Did you want the center baffle to extend all the way to the top?

The bends look alright to me. It looks like there was just more spring back than you expected.

When is the first ride with it?

Just studying your photo a little..
How thick are your aluminum plates? They look thicker than 1/8".They are actually .1" thick so looks must be deceiving

Did you go with the 12 bolt hole pattern because the stub filler neck isn't available in the 6 bolt hole pattern?The one in my shop has 12 holes so the tank does too. :unsure:

Did you want the center baffle to extend all the way to the top?You can't tell from the pic but it does in the center, I left a spilway cutout in the front and back of the baffle just in case the holes in the lower secitions are not enough.

The bends look alright to me. It looks like there was just more spring back than you expected.The overall shape is ok and yes it is sprung a little, that is normal. The problem was the dimensions of the strait sides between the bends. They were way off. The back strait was .2" too wide and the smaller wings were .05" too wide so overall the cell was .3" wider than it was supposed to be. I had to shave .2" off the front to get the volumes back to where they were supposed to be and I have less clearance between the cell and the rack than I wanted. My drawing gave a tolerance of +0.00/-0.03 and every single strait had a dimension larger than the print. I was not happy. I will not be using that shop again. What is really frustrating is they had 3 pieces to test bend and the 2 actual pieces came out nearly identical. I asked them what went wrong as I think they read the drawing wrong but they haven't got back to me which makes me think they knew they messed up. They were confused with my non-stacked dimensions from day one.

When is the first ride with it?Excellent question! I have no idea. I really need to have a few tanks though by the MN2010 so I can make sure it works and I can get comfortable with it.

Just studying your photo a little..Did you want the center baffle to extend all the way to the top?You can't tell from the pic but it does in the center, I left a spilway cutout in the front and back of the baffle just in case the holes in the lower secitions are not enough.
I think using your baffle to add support to your top plate was good idea, especially if anything ends up strapped to the top.

My sense of scale is way off. Judging from the photo, I would have guessed you were using 3/16" throughout.

I dropped them off to get anodized in Black today :yahoo: :clapping:

Here are some pictures of the almost final product, I enclosed mine in aluminum DaJuice is doing something different. His also unbolts from the bracket mine is welded on, he also had his dropped about an inch or so B)

Fjr%20Fuel%20Cell.jpg

Fjr%20Fuel%20Cell%20(2).jpg

Fjr%20Fuel%20Cell%20(3).jpg

Fjr%20Fuel%20Cell%20(4).jpg

Fjr%20Fuel%20Cell%20(5).jpg

The front and back pieces will be velcroed on :)

Can't wait to test it out :dribble: :yahoo: :clapping:

I dropped them off to get anodized in Black today :yahoo: :clapping:
Here are some pictures of the almost final product, I enclosed mine in aluminum DaJuice is doing something different. His also unbolts from the bracket mine is welded on, he also had his dropped about an inch or so B)

Fjr%20Fuel%20Cell%20(5).jpg

The front and back pieces will be velcroed on :)

Can't wait to test it out :dribble: :yahoo: :clapping:
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of how that much weight, so high up affects the handling.

I picked them up from the metal finishers after work and put mine on the bike. Tomorrow I get to put some fuel in it :yahoo: Now I need to add the finishing touches to my bracket which may have to wait until next week.

Cruzin is stopping by after work to pick his up.

30732_1430189308755_1053514845_31260865_6626079_n.jpg

The end is in sight... what a journey this has been. Hope it works <_<