Darien Pants - Rain Leakage At Crotch?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFJR

Reaction score
I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of Aerostich DarienLight pants as an upgrade from my waterproof, but non-breathable and very warm rain pants and FirstGear HT overpants. Various folks have mentioned that their Aerostich Roadcrafter suits leak at the crotch in prolonged heavy rains. In your experience, does the different zipper arrangement on the Darien pants eliminate this problem?

I've been stuck in all day rains and not had a problem, these weren't downpours, all day soakers. thought my butt was wet, just cold and clammy. these are not the lights, regular Darien's Hope this helps

Tom

I've used the Darien regulars for over a year now in all sorts of nasty weather and I've never had a leak or seepage at any juncture. Teriffic pants.

The Darians are substantially more weather-resistant than the Roadcrafter. Mine have never leaked in the 5 years I've had it. Awesome pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
First time I REALLY put the Dariens to the test (pants and jacket) was on an 800 mile ride down to Deal's Gap. We went throught some serious gully-washers that went on for hours.

The Dariens leaked, both of them. Right through the zippers. The pants would leak right at the crotch and the jacket through the zip.

I have had other rain gear that didn't leak. But they weren't armored. I've ridden many miles in downpours in North Face goretex mountain pants and jacket with no leaks--but they had to go OVER the protective gear. Cheaper, non-gore-tex rain gear also worked better.

You'll need to use seam sealer and Nik Wax to improve the Dariens' water-proofness. It does help.

That said, I REALLY like the Dariens. Light rain, shorter bursts, they do just fine. It was hours and hours of hard, driving, gully-washer rain that got them to leak. Just I've been in similar conditions with other stuff without those results. What they give it is a super-versatile riding system you can use year-round, depending on what you put under them.

They are not the best rain-gear--they are only OK. They just do SO many other things so well I'm willing to put up with them not being perfect in the rain.