Date of Manufacture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Udjeni

Reaction score
In the "Altitude surging" thread, reference is made to dates of manufacture of FJRs. Could someone explain (or point me to where it is explained) how you determine the build date of you FJR? There was reference to a white sticker on the right side near the steering column. I have such a sticker, but I don't see anything on it that looks like a straight manufacturing date (unless I am being defrauded). Apart from the VIN number and a decibel indication, there is only the following on my 2007 FJR:

e13*2002/24*0041
Or are manufacturing dates only present on US bikes?

Riel

Last edited by a moderator:
My Vehicle ID number plate (R/H side steering head pipe) has the date of manufacture on the first line.

Reads: [SIZE=8pt]MFD BY YAMAHA MOTOR CO., LTD.[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]02/06[/SIZE]

Then lists all the weight data, spec requirements at date of manufacture, etc. and at the bottom

is the VIN.

Hey Udjeni

The first three digits of the VIN are the manufacturer country of origin code: JY4 = Japan; JYA = Japan; VG5 = France; 9C6 = Brazil and 5Y4 = USA.

The 11th digit in the VIN is the factory location: A = Hamamatsu, Japan; C = Karagawa, Japan; O = San Pablo, Brazil; A = Saint Quinten, France and A = Newman, GA.

So, if the the first three digits in your VIN are JY4 and the 11th digit is C, your FJR was assembled in Kakagawa, Japan. If the first three digits are 5Y4 and the 11th digit is A, then your FJR was assembled in Newman, GA.

This is the universal VIN coding system.... with the exception of the 9th digit, which is a security digit, and the last 6 numbers, which are production sequence numbers, the other digits are model identification code numbers.

Bob

In the "Altitude surging" thread, reference is made to dates of manufacture of FJRs. Could someone explain (or point me to where it is explained) how you determine the build date of you FJR? There was reference to a white sticker on the right side near the steering column. I have such a sticker, but I don't see anything on it that looks like a straight manufacturing date (unless I am being defrauded). Apart from the VIN number and a decibel indication, there is only the following on my 2007 FJR:

e13*2002/24*0041
Or are manufacturing dates only present on US bikes?

Riel

Last edited by a moderator: