Datel Gen II Install pics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
Aight, I've done some searching but haven't come up with many Gen II photos of the best place(s) to put a Datel.

My initial plan was the D panel that is also the battery access panel but it's clear after removing it, that there isn't room (not enough depth because of factory fuses in that location)

I've seen wolfhounds:

DSC04766.jpg

But I don't think I want to cut into that fairing piece. I'm scared, and prefer one of the less expensive black D panels if possible.

ImALLIn's is here:

IMG_1409.jpg

But my heated grip controller is there.

I'm thinking about the upper right panel above the battery similar to 05FJRBlueDevil did, only his is an 05.

8bf7608c.jpg

Has anyone put one there on an 06? If so will it fit? Got any pics?

Open to other places/suggestions.

Oh yeah, I'm not up for doing the mirror trick yet either.

Upper part of the C panel gives you the best look at it, it becomes just one of the gauges, same height as the main dash. It's where I put mine, although I didn't set it flush like that, didn't think the windshield mechanisim was clear. Anyplace else and it's a conscious effort to look at it, and you look too far away from important things.

Voltmeter1.jpg

I'm not convinced that the Gen-II is any different under there from mine or BlueDevil's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not convinced that the Gen-II is any different under there from mine or BlueDevil's.
I'm no sure either, but I'd like to see it if it's been done. I agree with making it 'part of the gauges'... Which is why I was leaning that way.

-MD

I did not think it would fit and was worried about windshield mechanism hitting it. SO I went else where.

I'm not sure, since I didn't try it, but I would be very surprised if it would fit in one of the upper panels on a Gen II.

Here's mine. Since it is hooked up directly to the battery, I put the switch in as well.
IMG_0179.jpg

Mine is very similar to this but I managed to fit it into the "D" panel. In retrospect, I think where Trigger has it is better. If you take the tank off you can get in under the fairing to do the wiring without having to tear into all the other tupperware. Just go slow with the Dremel and should be no problem

Mine is very similar to this but I managed to fit it into the "D" panel. In retrospect, I think where Trigger has it is better. If you take the tank off you can get in under the fairing to do the wiring without having to tear into all the other tupperware. Just go slow with the Dremel and should be no problem
Can I see a photo of where yours is installed?

-MD

Can I see a photo of where yours is installed?

-MD

Stand by, I'll post it after lunch.

Also, the switch with the light is a good idea. Although it seems obvious that the Datel is "on" because you can see the voltage reading, this is not necessarily the case. I installed mine with a less-than-weatherproof, no "on" light switch before SFO. It rained like crazy there and apparently semi-shorted the switch. The Datel was reading 10-12 volts with the switch "off". It took a little while messing around with it before I realized that. So I switched to a "weather resistant" switch like Triggers with an "on" light included.

OK, here are the pictures (I've got to get a better camera!) I'm right in the middle of a major re-wire Soltek/Fuzeblock install so I have all the panels removed.

CIMG2532.jpg

CIMG2531.jpg

The fit is pretty tight. The switch is right up against the verticle side of the D panel. I think I may have had to Dremel off a little bit to make it all fit. The Datel is right over the relays but it fits. After looking at this, I think I'll be sure to put some black tape over the Datel screws when I'm finished, just to feel better. The Datel itself was easy as it's square and you can just use a marker to outline the cutout. Although I think I measured the width of the brass spring thig a million times to make sure I had it centered.

In this shitty picture, you can see the "cables" I've used to power up the Datel. I had just gone and bought some of those plug in fuse block things from The Zone so that's what I had to work with. I thnk they're 12 gauge! When I clean this all up, I may not even use a fuse, just some 22 gauge wire straight to the battery. Still thinking about it.

CIMG2530.jpg

Another problem with this location is that it's completely blocked by the right handle bar. Which is why I think mounting into the tupperware like Trigger did is a little better. You can reach under the plastic with the tank off to plug it all in. Is that what you did Trigger? But I don't run with mine on all the time, mostly when I'm running a bunch of farlkes at once and then it's no big deal to lean over and check it.

Awesome, if it will actually go back on :) So you've got clearance from the fuzes below it?

-Md

Awesome, if it will actually go back on :) So you've got clearance from the fuzes below it?
-Md
Yes, there is clearance. I've had this installed since just after SFO with no troubles. Looking back at the pictures, it's important to note that the connectors for the switch are asymetric. If the switch is installed the other way 'round, it won't fit as the connectors will bump into the relays. I'm thinking of cleaning it all up since I'm in there anyway. In my Soltek install (stay tuned) I was able to cut about half the length of the tabs off of the switch I am using and then solder the wire on instead of using connectors. Then use shrink tube to cover it all. Worked pretty well, I may do this for the Datel to get more room.

I have several wires running to the battery right now. When I'm done with the Fuzeblock install, I should only have the main bike cables, the Fuzeblock, the PCIII ground, and the tiny Datel wires hooked up to it.

Here's where I got the switch, it's the "Surf and Turf" SPST marine switch with the red light

Switch

A link to another install thread

Clicky

There is room to mount the Datel on the side of the steering head with mounting tape-directly above the clamp that holds the clutch and brake lines and just below the top bracket. Must be far enough foward that the fork tube doesn't make contact at full lock. There is easy access to the battery thru the chase in the steering head.No cutting needed and easy to see. Sorry, no pics, I,m to dumb..

I went a different way. I didn't want to look at it all the time and I didn't want to waste even more space by adding a switch.

Here, I can see it when I want to but it is completely inconspicuous otherwise.

612266143_RMLQr-M.jpg