Datel volt meter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Flying Dutchman

Reaction score
Heading out on a trip soon and will be using heated gear for the first time in the mountains. I've got a Datel. Don't have time to deal with cutting the panel and doing a proper install. All my electronics are in a tank bag.

Can I wire it in there? Would the reading be the same? Tank bag is powered through a powerlet outlet (that way I can unplug it and take it with me when we stop to sightsee)

You can...although you might not get an accurate reading. It may be lower than the actual voltage because of voltage drop across that circuit. You could run a voltmeter across the battery terminals and see if there's a drop and adjust in your head.

Depending on what other accessories are fed from the same circuit from the battery it should be fairly close. It will actually be measuring the voltage at the accessories in your tank bag. With a light load such as radar detector, or intercom, mps player, etc. I would be surprised if it read more than a few tenths of a volt lower than the battery if you had a fairly large circuit (say AWG # 12 or so). Best of luck. Ron

The closer to the battery, the better. IMHO

It would be a good temporary install though. At least you could see how much you are drawing, even though the actual level may not be accurate.