Datel Voltmeter in Mirror Farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really cool! No need for one now that the Passport came in. Does the mirror take longer than the chocolate chip cookies?

Very Sweet install FJR-Ritchie !! One question -Is that a Datel meter ? I went to

the site and they only show a Red unit(which I had purchased a while back) Just

curious-the red will look better anyway with the red illumination on my '06.

When it gets here-Ha Ha . Keep on Farkleing !!!

The mod looks great! My only recommendation is to buy a spare Datel Voltmeter. You know what happens is that when and if it should failed, they probably will change the size and design and your replacement will nolonger fit.

Any modification, I norally buy two just in case.

You should have a rear view camera display put in it's place for the blind spot! ;)

I personal feel someone should come up with the heads up display GPS system.

Cost to much but it will be trick on the FJR windshield. :D

Impecable execution my friend... Top notch farkle!!!
Keep'em comming  :)
I'll give that a serious Woop! Woop! :clap:

Just did the farkle myself and the directions were top notch, first rate, and well worthy of adding to FJRTech.com

Here's my picture of installation:

mirrorfarkle.jpg

The things I learned:

The aluminum tape is a great idea for very straight edge for the Dremel process. I taped a razor blade with just a tiny bit of the blade showing on the two long sides, but couldn't figure out how to stack razor blades on the short sides. No problem though--the aluminum tape worked just fine as a straight edge. I was a bit worried about pulling it back up, but the silvering process Yamaha uses is fairly robust.

Dremeling the millimeter in the corners took some attention and if you look super-close you can see a slightly beveled corner, but you really don't notice it at normal riding position.

I had bought the Datel a year ago and had it in my D panel, but it finally stress fractured and had to buy a new one. I had the Bezel and agree it's a great addition to this farkle. The Bezel is permenant, but I can unscrew the Datel if I need to. I made my retainer from Lexan.

The other thing I learned is that Gorilla Glue sticks well, but the foaming action as it cures gets crud all over the place inside the viewing window. I had to spend an hour with a dental pick teasing away excess hardened glue. I'd stick with a non-foaming type of epoxy.

Finally, I think I learned another way to date our motorcycles. My paper backing came off the mirror as I tore it apart....so I didn't bother trying to leave it on. Mine was stamped with "15 MAY 2004". I'd say this is when the mirror was manufactured....so probably just a bit before the bike was assembled. I took ownership September 1 of the year so that narrows it's birthdate to about a 3 month window. A tidbit of provenance and maybe a way to cross-reference with VIN's or something in the future. At least I know it wasn't built before that date.

mirrodate.jpg

Thanks Rich! I think this is the coolest farkle of the year! :beach:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't see any reason why not. As long as they body is deep enough to handle the Datel and if you want to ground on the nut--run an ohm meter on whatever metal is closest to the mirror.

I thought this was a generic farkle the starter had seen on other bikes like the VFR.

Just did this on mine with the FZ mirror. Kool as shit farkle, but you have to be VERY patient. I rushed too much and sized my cutting template too big...the size of the entire Datel display...not limited to the part of the display that actually displays! So, the cutout is slightly oversize. Also VERY difficult to get a perfectly straight cut. I glued the bezel to the display instead of making a plate for screwing. Easier, but not quite as clean cuz I used a bit too much glue and there was some oozing.

All told, a great albeit slightly tricky farkle. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator: