Dead Zone - 3-3.5K RPM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
OK, so I have a 2008 with a 'throttle response issue'. Ever since the day I bought it (new) - it does not like to run in the 3-3,500 RPM area. There is a dead spot in this area when I am riding and holding the throttle to maintain speed. I don't have issues when I am accelerating up through the RPMs and gaining speed. Only when I maintain speed, matched to about 3-3,500 RPM. The motor goes flat and feels sluggish.

Way back when, to see if I could solve this issue - I bought a PCIII. But it did not do much. I have just lived with this issue for a long time.

I am thinking I'd like to jump back in and try to solve this. I was thinking about buying the Power Commander V and seeing if this helped. It feels like if I can just get into the fuel injection system and add some extra fuel in that area of the RPM band - it could help. I'm sure that is simplifying things however.

I have read a lot of posts over the years about throttle snatchiness - but don't believe I have read much about a dead area at a certain RPM area.

The bike is all stock, the PCIII map is 'regular' (can't remember what I got - I bought it from Fuel Moto) and the O2 sensor is unplugged.

Thoughts?

I can't remember the last time I ever lingered way down there.

Seriously, I can't.

EDIT: But if your post means that it does not want to accelerate from that rpm range...then I agree, something is up.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is maybe a closer one but the people north of you at Skagit Power Sports have a dyno jet dyno and a good operator. They did the set up on my 03 and got rid of the low and mid range flat spots.

Did you check your TPS. you can give Nel's @ 2 Wheel Dynoworks a call.

19501 Woodinville Snohomish Rd.

Woodinville

425-269-5332

OK, hang on a minute here... Am I missing something? I know I'm a FNG to this bike and all, but really?

WheatonFJR: I can't remember the last time I ever lingered way down there.
Seriously, I can't.

Huh... I find myself around there most of the time, unless I'm passing (or speeding.) Like I said, this is a new bike for me, so maybe I'm babying it or something, but according to this About.com review "at 70 mph in top gear, the engine is spinning at only 3,700 rpm".

How fast are you running if you haven't "lingered way down there" for so long? Or are you keeping the revs higher by riding in lower gears at hiway speeds? Wouldn't that result in excessive engine wear? (Pardon if that's a dumb question, I really don't know.)

As a brand new FJR rider, I'd really be interested in what RPM ranges some of the 'veterans' typically cruise at.

What RPM range is considered "ideal" for typical open-hiway cruising (at around the 55 - 65 speed limit)?

Never ever listen to Wheatie. He makes you do dumb things like crash your bike. Like AJ said probably a fueling issue. I'd make sure the TPS is right and then get the PCIII maped properly and never listen to Wheatie
punk.gif

One afternoon when I had about 40k miles on it, I noticed that if I held steady at about 2.8k give or take the bike would sputter and buck. Found I could make it do it every time no matter what the gear or speed. Might have been like this for awhile before I became aware of it - dunno. A few searches of TPS symptoms convinced me to replace mine and all has been good since. If you think this might be it, and it's been like that since new, possible it just left the dealer out of whack?

From my bookmarks:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/3283-throttle-position-sensor/?p=37988

The tps is a wear item. The carbon strips the brush runs against will get a lot of use in this area. Brighter minds than mine will be able to tell you how to enter diag mode and watch the sweep of the tps for irregularities. If all else fails, a search might turn something up CLICKY

A good post about testing the tps is HERE

Hmmm. Me bike is an '08. TPS issue was for bikes prior to that year. I mean I can test the TPS by going into diag mode. Just don't expect to see anything indicating an issue.