Dealer installed wrong rear tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

Reaction score
So I took my '06 to the dealer for some warranty work. While test riding, they picked up a big nail in my Michelin PR2. The tire was 5 weeks old, but had a little over 7000 miles on it. The tread looked like it would last another 7000 miles. The service manager said they would take care of it, but I offered to split the cost of a replacement. When I picked up the bike today, they showed me the rear tire with nail still in it. I only had to pay $85 total for a new one, which I thought was a good deal. But when I walked out to get on the FJR, I realized the tread pattern was different. Upon closer inspection, I realized that they had inadvertantly ordered and installed a Pilot Power 2, instead of the PR2. I immediately went back to the service manager and advised him of the mistake. He was not aware of the difference. Since my wife had dropped me off, I would be without a ride home if I didn't ride the scooter. I reluctantly told the service manager that I would keep the tire, although I am concerned about how many miles I can expect the sport tire to last. Have any of you guys used the Power 2 on an FJR, and can I expect it to perform okay?

Phil, what you have there is a very sticky tire - and you can expect about 4500 miles or so out of it.

But it's VERY sticky.

It'll be gone in 3000 (max) or less, depending how hard you ride. Other than wear, it's a great tire. When you figure an R1 weighs 420 and you can get 3 to 3500 mi. The FJR being 600lb. (?) will chew it off!

I immediately went back to the service manager and advised him of the mistake. He was not aware of the difference.
He's either grin f*&king you or you need a new dealer. Any shop that services sport bikes knows the difference between the PPs and PRs.

As others have said, it's a great tires. It is dual compound and people are getting 5k out of the tire with aggressive riding. There is also a very different profile and tread pattern on the tire. It really is two different applications, did you notice much difference in the feel of the bike? Shouldn't be a problem but it may be a little harsher on the highway. 85$ is a deal but If you turn another 7k miles in 5 weeks, you may be buying a tire sooner than you want. If you do keep it, report back when you make the swap. I'd interested in how long it lasts, feel, handling and the kind of riding you put on it.

So I took my '06 to the dealer for some warranty work. While test riding, they picked up a big nail in my Michelin PR2. The tire was 5 weeks old, but had a little over 7000 miles on it. The tread looked like it would last another 7000 miles. The service manager said they would take care of it, but I offered to split the cost of a replacement. When I picked up the bike today, they showed me the rear tire with nail still in it. I only had to pay $85 total for a new one, which I thought was a good deal. But when I walked out to get on the FJR, I realized the tread pattern was different. Upon closer inspection, I realized that they had inadvertantly ordered and installed a Pilot Power 2, instead of the PR2. I immediately went back to the service manager and advised him of the mistake. He was not aware of the difference. Since my wife had dropped me off, I would be without a ride home if I didn't ride the scooter. I reluctantly told the service manager that I would keep the tire, although I am concerned about how many miles I can expect the sport tire to last. Have any of you guys used the Power 2 on an FJR, and can I expect it to perform okay?
the PP is stickier with less longevity than the PR. i'd make them replace it.

I immediately went back to the service manager and advised him of the mistake. He was not aware of the difference.
He's either grin f*&king you or you need a new dealer. Any shop that services sport bikes knows the difference between the PPs and PRs.

As others have said, it's a great tires. It is dual compound and people are getting 5k out of the tire with aggressive riding. There is also a very different profile and tread pattern on the tire. It really is two different applications, did you notice much difference in the feel of the bike? Shouldn't be a problem but it may be a little harsher on the highway. 85$ is a deal but If you turn another 7k miles in 5 weeks, you may be buying a tire sooner than you want. If you do keep it, report back when you make the swap. I'd interested in how long it lasts, feel, handling and the kind of riding you put on it.
I'll post back in a few weeks/months concerning the mileage. Rode it initially on fairly straight roads, and took it easy on the turns I did encounter. Today, I ran it up to 125; felt great, but at home I found the pressure to be down to 38.5 psi. It seems to ride as smooth as the PR, and definitely does stick hard on the turns. I feel like I will be able to turn more aggressively, even with a PR2 on the front. Am riding down to East Texas tomorrow and Monday, and will put some serious heat to it then. Thanks for all the comments, Guys.

I got 4700 miles on my 1st PP 2CT with fairly aggresive riding, no slab (hardly). Cornering is fantastic, handling great.

Ordered another set & waiting for arrival.

Considering running the PR rear and PP front...??

I ran a set of Dunlop Qualifiers a while back and really liked the confidence they gave in the twistiies. I got 4500 miles out of the set. I'm running Storms now and they don't offer the same "feel" as the sport bike tires but I'm sure they will give more mileage. The front end has a wobble at low speed. I've run Pirelli Diablo Strada's and Bridgestone BT-021 before this set of Storms. I'm planning on PR2's next and hope they give a better "feel" than the other high mileage sport touring tires. The sport touring tires seem to give up their cornering prowess after around 5000 miles so maybe staying with the dual compound sport tires maybe a better way to go unless your heading out for a long "iron butt" type ride or rally.

I've ran PP 2CT fronts with PR rear with decent results, 5500mi! Currently running PR2 F/R with roughly 6500 on them. Maybe 2000 left. They did wear funny though due to riding 2 up mostly with bags and trunk. They're a good tire! Bike had new PILOT SPORT's on it when I bought it. Got 2000 mi. out of those! lol

As a point of reference (and another example why all tire threads are NEPRT material):

The Michelin Pilot Power (1st generation, not the current dual-compound variant) was the 2nd longest lasting tire on my 2008 Hayabusa, at 4800 miles when replaced. It likely still had a good 500-ish miles before the center wear indicators would've popped. The only tire I have had last longer on the Busa is the Avon Storm.

Off to NEPRT we go....

Based on everybody's comments, I called the dealer service manager, and asked him to retrieve my PR2 out of the junk pile, so I can pick it up, put a vulcanized patch in it, and use it when this PP2 wears out. In the meantime, I will do my best to rip the shit out of the Pilot Power!! Will keep y'all apprised of the outcome. Thanks to all. phil

I'll actually miss my PP2 - it's been a great tire these last 4,500 miles - great grip - and very confident and capable in the corners - feel free to let loose on it!