Dealer recommendations for a LONG trip...and other noob questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimateanswer

Reaction score
Hi all! I am planning a long trip tward the end of May and need some local advise for dealers along my route. I will be travelling from Oklahoma City, OK to Carlisle, PA. A sum total of 1325 miles +or- a few here and there. My route will take me through Tulsa, OK ( which I have a dealer already established in), St Louis, MO, Dayton, OH, Columbus, OH, Near Pitsburg, PA and then finally to Carlisle, PA which is a burb of Harrisburg, PA. Does anyone here have any experience with dealerships in these areas. Any reccomendations on who to visit or even who not to? Also, what kind of gear would you pack besides the usual things link extra socks and boots, shirts, pants, rain gear, cold gear, Spot, etc.? This will be the first trip of this length that I will be making on 2 wheels and want to be prepared.

If your FJR has been even minimally maintained you should be able to zoom right by all those dealers. But only if you were using the right oil.. ;)

The few issues I've had on the road were tire problems, in most of those cases it was non-Yamaha dealers who were able to get me going again. Don't overlook them if you find yourself in BFE without a local Yamaha dealer.

If you have a GPS you can download a list of all the Yamaha dealers in the US as POIs (Point of Interests). I forget where I found that but Google is your friend. Of course, you won't know how good or bad they are, but in a pinch any dealer would be better than none.

As JimLL said, when you're passing through Columbus, if you have time and / or need gear or any doo-dads for the bike, stop by the Iron Pony's uber-megastore. They're also a Yamaha dealer nowadays.

Another decent dealer in Columbus is Ohio Motorcycle (or Honda Northwest to the locals). Been around since dirt and nice guys, all in all.

Depending on your route and any time constraints, if you have time, ride Route 555 between Zanesville and Marietta. It's worth it!

Shoot me a PM when the time gets closer. If I'm able, I'll ride out to meet you and / or ride with you for a bit.

Oh - and if you like "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives", go to the Starliner Diner in Hilliard.

1300 miles? You shouldn't need a dealer. Last year, we rode from Columbus to Eureka Springs, AR, for SFO, then over to Tulsa, then to Chicago, then back home and never needed a dealer. You'll be fine.

OK cool! Thanks for all the info. It will be round trip with a ton of local riding once I get to Carlisle so I am expecting to be loging around 3500 miles all in all. On my last bike, you HAD to know where your dealers were if you planned on anything other than down the street and back. The reliability of the FJR was the #1 reason I chose it over any other bike! So far the only this I've had to do outside of the ordinary was look at getting the side cases Rhino Lined because of a latch failure, on my part. But with only 25k on my '04 model it is still a baby when compared to some of you guys' bikes.

I've made a few distance trips by moto. Here is a pasted list I refer to on any new trips. I camped along the way on many of them so a lot may not apply. I've never added the obvious to the list, like underwear or socks.

Travel

Items for trip on motorcycle

Long lighter

paper plates

cooler for ice

rubber flip flops

sleep bag

tent

cooker

Scrubber/soap to clean

Eating and cooking utensils

Tire puncture kit

plexus and towels

air matress

air pump

sanitizing soap

dopp kit

bar soap

small shampoo

bandaids

advil

swim suit

rain suit

nuts and bars

electric jacket

electric gloves

hats incl wool hat

Lock and cable

Flashlight

Leatherman

toothpicks

batteries for radar

pan

utensils

thermos

coffee cups

water

chatter box and charger

mp3

phone

GPS

Winter coat

Long underwear

toilet paper

paper towels

sneakers

pillow case

silk riding suit

silk pants

gun

camelback

Bike cover

I'm assuming your route is along I70?If you get tired of the slab,southeastern Ohio has some good alternatives to keep you going east.

On the east side of Columbus take SR33 south to Nelsonville.Pick up SR78 in Nelsonville and follow it all the way to the Ohio river,about 50 miles south of Wheeling.33 isn't anything special,but I think you'll like 78.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming your route is along I70?If you get tired of the slab,southeastern Ohio has some good alternatives to keep you going east.On the east side of Columbus take SR33 south to Nelsonville.Pick up SR78 in Nelsonville and follow it all the way to the Ohio river,about 50 miles south of Wheeling.33 isn't anything special,but I think you'll like 78.
Or an alternate longer detour...west of Columbus: pick up Ohio Rt 56 south and east until you get to rt 278, take rt 278 north until you get to US33. Head east on 33 about a mile until you get to 78, and take that east...avery fun and scenic road.

This alternate is really just to get you off US 33.

As a bit of general advice, get off the Interstates as much as you can. They will suck the life out of your trip. Seriously, get off of them. The interstates are not America...get out and travel the state routes as much as you can. The US Routes have the grades leveled out and curves straightened in order to facilitae truck traffic as much as you can.

Don't be afraid of people or anything in the country....I see more scary people at truckstops and oases along the interstate than the people off of the main drag. People in small towns have been generally helpful and friendly to me when I travel.

Have fun on your trip. Vary your pace with different paces...rest days and scenic rambling mixed in. Enjoy the journey more than the destinations.

Have fun! :clapping:

the first half of my route is state highways and US highways but the second half is I70 from Dayton all the way into the Harrisburg Metroplex. I figure I can cover this distance in 2 days without much strain on myself. And I have a ton of time on the way back that you can bet your last dollar I am going to do a fair bit of walkabout. I am really diggin the input guys! Keep it coming!

the first half of my route is state highways and US highways but the second half is I70 from Dayton all the way into the Harrisburg Metroplex. I figure I can cover this distance in 2 days without much strain on myself. And I have a ton of time on the way back that you can bet your last dollar I am going to do a fair bit of walkabout. I am really diggin the input guys! Keep it coming!
I'm sure you probably already know this but I70 will not take you to Carlisle. You need to stay on I76 (Pa Tpke) at around the Breezwood exhange in PA or you'll end up heading south into Maryland.

I've ridden I70 from Indianopolis back to PA and it can really become a snooze. Don't let yourself get drowsy. Be careful and have fun. ;)

Oh yeah almost forgot. You know you will be passing right by the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Pickerington OH (near Columbus). It's just off route 70. https://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/ Maybe stop in for a visit?

If you're going to be taking I70 from Dayton to Columbus you'll be going right past Competiton Accessories in Springfield.They have a good selection of both new and used bikes as well as gear.Worth a stop.They're also a Yamaha dealer.

I've put almost 8k on 5 months on my FJR and nary a peep out of her, you probably won't need any dealers, but it couldn't hurt to know where they are :)

As for my touring list..here is what I usually bring (Not including clothing, etc).

1) Rain Gear including glove covers

2) Cash

3) ZipLock bags

4) Sweater's

5) Electric Clothing (unless it's mid summer etc)

6) Advil

7) Glow sticks (the ones you snap and shake up to make light)

8) Spare Headlight bulb, spare tail light bulb and spare fuses

9) Small portable socket set, Folding allen wrenches 10mm Wrench etc

10) Tire plug kit (Sticky string)

11) Slime Compressor

12) Jumper cables (Home made)

13) thermal underwear/undershirt

14) Extra sunglasses

15) Music

16) CHARGED cell phone

17) (and prob the most important) MTS Membership!!! (Motorcycle towing services)

18) Bottled water, and some snacks (NOT sugary)

19) Bicycle shorts and powder (Don't laugh, they work :) )

When I pack, I try to make everything accessible in the order that I may need it, all raingear/thermal/sweaters get packed in the topcase sealed in 2 gallon Ziploc bags in order to keep them dry my wallet and cell phone get packed in Ziploc bags and all my clothing gets wrapped in garbage bags before going into the sidecases

Good luck, you are going to have a blast!!!

OK so all these ideas are awesome! So now I ask what farkles should I invest in before my ride. I have bought the Yamaha tour pak from a member on here that was selling his, I have GPS and a radar detector, a hard wired outlet and one that is switched with the ignition, in May, especially late may I do not foresee any reason for needing heated gear so I won't need to invest in that just yet. Any suggestions on what else, if anything, would make my trip more comfortable? BTW for those who were wondering I will be heading up to PA on the 19th of May and head back on the 28th.

My Fellow Motorcycle Travelers: Thought Chuy's Patented Packing List may be helpful. First developed this list 40+ years ago on a Baja California Norte Mexico ride.

Week Long Motorcycle Tour Check Off Packing List

UPDATED ON July 8, 2006.

A. CLOTHING

1. Riding Gear-Rocket Jacket & Pants

2. Motorcycle Riding Boots

3. Widder electric vest (always)

4. Long Johns (if wintertime)

5. Cold weather gloves

6. Hot weather gloves

7. Full coverage helmet

8. BMWRA sweatshirt

9. Rain suit in stuff sack

10. Long sleeve shirts

11. Socks

12. Jeans

13. Underwear

14. Handkerchief

15. Bermuda shorts

16. Flip-flops

17. Tank top

18. Pool shoes

19. Swimming suit

20. Sunglasses

B. COOKING/EATING EQUIPMENT

1. Beer bottle opener

2. Beer can opener

3. Beer stein/mug

C. CAMPING/SLEEPING GEAR

1. Therma-rest pad in bivouac bag

2. Aerostich electric lantern

3. Sleeping bag (fart sack for us GI’s)

4. Two flashlights (penlight & medium)

5. Extra batteries for the lights

6. Tent with rain fly

7. 8’ x 12’ ground cloth

8. Folding camp chair

9. Ear plugs (for notorious BMW rally snorers)

10. Small camp/travel pillow in stuff bag

11. Dish towel/sponge (keep beer mug clean)

12. Bags-Ziplocs both large and small, garbage

13. Leatherman multi-tool with short saw

14. Nylon cord, 25' roll

15. Very small claw hammer for driving stakes and digging rain trench

PAGE TWO: Week Long Motorcycle Tour Check Off Packing List; 7/8/06

D. BIKE PARAPHERNALIA

1. Extra bike keys

2. Extra saddlebag/topbox keys

3. Vehicle registration documents

4. Insurance papers (en particular para Mexico!)

5. Cloth bug/washing rags

6. Bungee cargo net

7. Bungee cords, up to six

8. Cable lock with key

9. Disk lock with key

10. Chamois and bike wax

11. BMW or Yamaha tank bag

12. Cell phone and small address book

13. Bulbs: headlight, taillight and turn

14. Alaskan sheepskin seat cover

15. Extra fuses and small electrical kit

E. TOOLS

1. Duct tape (flatten the roll) and electrical tape and connectors

2. Two tire pressure gauges (put in two different locations)

3. Air pump, electric with the BMW plug or foot for the Yamaha/Harley

4. Can of Fix-A-Flat (never enter Mexico without it!)

5. Large BMW tool roll, with extra tire plugging gear (goop & plugs)

F. PERSONAL EFFECTS

1. Digital camera with extra memory cards and extra batteries

2. Shaving/overnight kit and first aid kit

3. Extra reading glasses and contact lenses

4. Alarm clock and wrist watch

5. BMW MOA Anonymous Book (most recent edition) and FJR Assistance List

6. Insect repellent/bug spray

7. Maps/campground-travel guides, bring magnifying glass

8. Extra pens, pencils and hi-liter pen/markers for the maps/guides

9. Two different credit cards and Travelers Checks (if necessary)

10. Passport, always bring along for Mexico and Canada!

11. BMWMOA, BMWRA, HOG, AAA and AARP membership cards

12. Checkbook, quick contact number and account numbers (secured)

13. Bath towel and wash cloth

14. Army duffel bag, in case the bike/me craps out in Guatemala & I fly home

15. Prescription medicines (damn heart attack) and daily vitamins