Death by Throttle Rocker...Almost

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Willy

It's bad, you know
Reaction score
Well, this here's a true story. I'm a tellin' ya so you don't make the same mistake I did. Last October 3rd, a friend & I rode the IBA SS1K on a route from Santa Clarita to Lake Tahoe, to Sacramento, to Gilroy, to Cambria, to SLO, and through Santa Barbara back home to Santa Clarita (ride details). It was 1032 miles in 21.1 hrs. To make my ride easier on the way, I had installed a Throttle Meister ™ about 2 weeks before the ride. I was not yet completely used to the TM by the ride date. Before the TM, I had used a Throttle Rocker (TR) for long trips on the FJR and I had it on the grip for the ride up the 395 that day (I know, I know...belt & suspenders), but I was used to the TR, or so I thought. As the ride progressed, I kept adjusting the TR higher around the grip (moving it more clockwise looking into the throttle) so that it was at the right position for the right hand at cruising speeds. This meant that the TR was positioned quite high at idle. It was so high up (almost 10 o'clock with noon being straight up), in fact, that it damn near killed me. Here's how:

After we left the Gardnerville, NV area, we began climbing into the Sierras, heading for the El Dorado Highway (CA 50) for the trip west to Sacramento (Route). We reached the 50 about 12:30 in the afternoon. It was a beautiful day for a Saturday ride through the mountains. And we weren't the only people on the road that day with the same idea; the 50 was pretty busy. Now, much of this pass road is two-lane mountain highway with a passing lane every few miles. Whenever one of these opportunities came around, we would typically use our bike's acceleration advantage to put the slower cagers behind us leaving us with a stretch of open mountain road before we encountered the next cager train. Nothing insane in all this mind you...just typical MC overtaking.

Now, I was riding in the wingman slot of a flight of two. My experienced lead was riding a Kawasaki KZ-10R...a damned quick bike. So, every time one of these opportunities would come up, I would tighten the formation up to await his move then slot in behind him and follow his lead. It was important to stay tucked up close or we might find ourselves separated by traffic on the far side...not a disaster mind you, just undesirable. It was on one of the energetic overtakes that my story gets exciting. Keeping with his past MO, my lead moved fairly aggressively when it was safe to do so & I followed suit. This particular short passing lane area had a decreasing-radius right-hand turn as the lanes merged from 2 lanes back into 1 west bound. As I approached this merge with oncoming traffic going by nose to tail, I was leaning right with a fair head of steam on. I noticed the turn tightening and rolled the throttle off...plenty of margin, no problem here. Only the throttle doesn't roll off because that damn TR in concert with the position of my hand won't let me...I've rolled my hand as far forward as anatomically possible but it's hooked at partial power and too much to get safely around in this condition. And to add insult to injury, I can't get my fingers onto the front brake lever because I'm trying so hard to steer, and roll off speed that my hand is now positioned so that my fingers would have to bend backwards at a 90 degree angle to reach the lever...it ain't happening.

You have all probably been there at one time or another...that big shot of system-jolting adrenaline that hits you when things look to get real exciting real quick!! Well, now it's deep lean time and I put my right peg into the asphalt still trying to work that throttle somehow to roll off speed without any progress. I'm next on the rear brake to pull myself around and that's what finally does it without doing anything more serious than staining my shorts. At the outermost edge of this turn my tires were an inch from the center line with peg in the dirt and about 6 inches from the front tire of a big dually Ford going the other way...I remember the logo on the hood like it was yesterday. And the look on that guy's face was worth the price of admission. The next straight section of road saw me remove that velcroed TR and put it back in the tank bag. It has not been out since this event.

So here's the moral of this story. 1) I recommend you use a TR only on open roads with minimal need for throttle variations. 2) if you are using a TR, make sure you are careful to position it so you don't lose complete capability to QUICKLY dump your throttle AND use the front brake. And 3) remove it completely if you're headed into the twisties.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn dude!!!!!!!

Glad you made it with only a change o the shorts!

Had a Ford Dually, not something I'd want to see in that situation!

Greg

Day-um, what a pucker-factor-10 moment. :eek:

I had a few unpleasant surprises using the TR and I eventually dumped it. I have a ThrottleMeister now and all's well.

Stef

W2 I didn't have quite that dramatic of an experience, but I learned the same lesson without as much shorts damage. ;)

Even adjusted correctly, and if you have some pressure on it, you can be in a similar situation.

Glad you're OK. By some new drawers yet? :p

Been there too, not that bad though.

I love my throttle rocker and I don't use it as a "cruise" but rather as a place to pivot the back of my palm while adjusting the TM. I can tighten or loosen the throttle lock smoothly without loosing or gaining speed with the TR. Once the TR is set where I like it I don't mess with it unless it loosens.

I've learned not to use it as a cruise control too, even coming off a freeway exit ramp can be interesting if you have the sucker rotated forward after three hours of pavement pounding or more, my wrist doesn't always limber up quick enough to get off a TR set for 75 mph.. :eek:

Thanks for sharing, glad you made it through.... :assassin:

W2 glad you managed to get through that lesson ok. One thing worth noting is that if you use the "clip-on" type of TR it is always quick and easy to rip it off in an emergency. But as others have said, I only use mine always set at a level where I can still roll the throttle all the way off by simply rotating my wrist a little more forward when coming off extended slab rides. And for twisties I rotate the TR to about 7 o'clock position (using your measurement scale). These precautions have thus far resulted in no TR related pucker moments.

Damn W2, That was an experience to remember. I've had a TR for years now. Love it. But, I learned early on not to raise it that high. I've had my "moments"

but, nowhere near as exciting as yours. YIKES!! I would have had to pull off the road and take a nap after that. Glad you survived that. My heart started racing

just ready your story!! :unsure:

I'm a TR user too. I also learned early on to keep it fairly low and to just allow my elbows to droop more when cruising. That way you can get "off the juice" when you needs to.

Does sound quite scary. There are a few roads around here that I can envision similar circumstances on...

One other thought: If you keep your TR clipped on the extreme outside of the throttle tube, you should be able to always slide your hand inboard on the handle bars and allow the throttle to relax.

<snip>...I've rolled my hand as far forward as anatomically possible but it's hooked at partial power and too much to get safely around in this condition. And to add insult to injury, I can't get my fingers onto the front brake lever because I'm trying so hard to steer, and roll off speed that my hand is now positioned so that my fingers would have to bend backwards at a 90 degree angle to reach the lever...it ain't happening.
Not being critical, here (I enjoyed reading your, scary, story).

But, I think its good to mention (re, the previous excerpt) that the MSF reccos and trains new riders to ride with their wrist down on the throttle hand. This form allows the rider to roll-off with authority and puts the right hand four fingers in the proper place to operate the brake lever.

I'm a TR user too. I also learned early on to keep it fairly low and to just allow my elbows to droop more when cruising. That way you can get "off the juice" when you needs to.
Does sound quite scary. There are a few roads around here that I can envision similar circumstances on...

One other thought: If you keep your TR clipped on the extreme outside of the throttle tube, you should be able to always slide your hand inboard on the handle bars and allow the throttle to relax.
That's exactly how I use mine. Butted to the outside. That way you can use it only when you want to. :rolleyes:

and I'm quite partial to the smaller Kury throttle boss...I have one installed on both grips...yes, as far outside as possible

https://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/prodFam/...Detail/IMID/262

6251-1.jpg

it can be moved up or down on the fly as necessary

Another reason to put it way to the outboard end at this time o' year, is so you can get more of your mitt over the still heated part of the grip (if you've got heated grips) ;)

W2, timely warning. Thankfully you had the alert response and ability to "ride the bike".

That's exactly how I use mine. Butted to the outside. That way you can use it only when you want to.
.....yes, as far outside as possible
EXCEPT....those of us with large hands (I wear a size XX or XXX glove) will never have enough clearance with a throttle rocker installed. :angry:

I noticed interference issues when I had one installed and I removed it at less than 50 miles. It now has a new home on Silver Penguin's FJR, Jill's hands being ever so slightly smaller than mine. ;)

Hence my decision to use a Vista Cruise throttle lock.2

Good info W2, and one more thing I don't need worry about as my TR was stolen a couple of months ago in Sacramento. Maybe Mike took it for Jill :lol:

My first bad experience with the TR was leaving a gas station and hitting a bad bump just before entering traffic. The jolt pushed the TR down and the bike lurched quickly forward. Fortunately there wasn't any traffic coming at the time. I keep the TR as far to the right as possible and can move off quickly if needed.

My question would be why didn't you just pull your hand off the bar and disengage the throttle all together? I realize you would only have your left hand to steer with but i try to practice this occasionally anyway. They made us do it in the MS coarse. Granted at much lower speeds.

Glad you pulled it out.

When I used it, the TR was always as far to the right as I could get it because I actually thought this little scenario through, or so I thought at the time. I'm a big guy (6'6") and, like a couple who posted above, have big hands. No room to go inside the TR and get around it. The tiny profile TR looks like an answer to some of this though. Mine has a fairly large paddle to it.

I'm a pretty careful rider, always thinking ahead and I try to watch 110% of the time. I was completely surprised by this when it happened, but in hindsight, I can see the chain of events that led to it. In all the lead up, every link was implemented with good intention and done with care. I was fortunate in all this...another 3 or 4 mph and I would have crossed the line with potentially miserable consequences.

I have frankly decided to put the TR away. I won't use it anymore. It really does require you to give up some amount of control authority on the throttle and with the Throttle Meister (which I can power through at will), I don't really need it.

Next question regarding the Throttle Meister. Has anyone come up with a good method for turning it on without dumping the throttle?

W2

The next straight section of road saw me remove that velcroed TR and put it back in the tank bag. It has not been out since this event.
So here's the moral of this story. 1) I recommend you use a TR only on open roads with minimal need for throttle variations. 2) if you are using a TR, make sure you are careful to position it so you don't lose complete capability to QUICKLY dump your throttle AND use the front brake. And take it off if you're headed into the twisties.

Cheers,

W2
WSquared

I too use a TR, but the type that is all plastic and can be rotated on the go easy. I picked up one of the newer ones that uses the strap and velcro and installed it on the way to WFO8. I put the old style back on before I got to Moscow. I started out trying to find that perfect location, but eventually rotated it too much and did much the same as you but didn't almost kill myself.

I went back to the old style, the style I have never had a problem with and haven't since.