Death by Throttle Rocker...Almost

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WSquaredI too use a TR, but the type that is all plastic and can be rotated on the go easy. I picked up one of the newer ones that uses the strap and velcro and installed it on the way to WFO8. I put the old style back on before I got to Moscow. I started out trying to find that perfect location, but eventually rotated it too much and did much the same as you but didn't almost kill myself.

I went back to the old style, the style I have never had a problem with and haven't since.
Yes, that's the type I was referring to in my earlier post. I have a wide one on each grip. And of course way over on the RHS of the grip.

Or you can opt for the wider one it depends on which works best for you.

Actually on the throttle grip I am using the Throttle Rocker, which I find more comfortable because it is thinner and has a more contoured shape...

Next question regarding the Throttle Meister. Has anyone come up with a good method for turning it on without dumping the throttle?
W2
Well, seriously, I momentarily rest my right wrist on below and reach with my fingers and flick a twist enough to hold the throttle,

then I reach around while throttle is held and adjust the friction to just a bit more than enough to hold,

but the throttle still moves easily:

6251-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually on the throttle grip I am using the Throttle Rocker, which I find more comfortable because it is thinner and has a more contoured shape...
That's sweet!!! I have the wide one and I cut the right side of it off cause it was interfering with my Throttle Meister's operation. It looks just like that one does.

I love it!! Who makes it?

That's sweet!!! I have the wide one and I cut the right side of it off cause it was interfering with my Throttle Meister's operation. It looks just like that one does.
I love it!! Who makes it?
It's made by Kuryakyn just click on the image and it will take you the site that sells them cheaper than the manufacturer.

I have the "version 1" which is a clip-on and not the silly velcro version they're selling now. I prefer the clip-on style and have already asked them where I could purchase that ver 1 type from. Actually to be perfectly honest, i've not tried the Kuryakyn version of the velcro type, but i know i didn't like the Campbuster velcro version.

Next question regarding the Throttle Meister. Has anyone come up with a good method for turning it on without dumping the throttle?
W2
I only have it as a back-up since I installed my CC but I used to leave mine on all the time set just tight enough to to hold the throttle but loose enough to move, then I could use the throttle and it would stay when I pulled my hand off the bar.

I'm a TR user too. I also learned early on to keep it fairly low and to just allow my elbows to droop more when cruising. That way you can get "off the juice" when you needs to.
Does sound quite scary. There are a few roads around here that I can envision similar circumstances on...

One other thought: If you keep your TR clipped on the extreme outside of the throttle tube, you should be able to always slide your hand inboard on the handle bars and allow the throttle to relax.
That's exactly how I use mine. Butted to the outside. That way you can use it only when you want to. :rolleyes:

Yup

That is a pucker moment. I tried one before and my hand was too wide for it to fit to the left of it. The little one looks like it might work

I had a similar experience with the wide "cramp buster" where I'm pretty sure part of the reason I dropped the bike at a tough intersection as I went over curving train tracks and the rear tire caught a groove was because I wound up not rolling off the throttle completely. The bike became unsteady, my turn went wide, and I wound up learning how much the FJR weighs as I had the weight of the bike on my leg / ankle. Luckily I also had the massive granite curb to offset some of it.

To make a long story short I switched to the Kuryakyn as others mentioned and keep it to the extreme right of the grip (over my grip puppies). It works extremely well, and it's easy to both "rest" on it, and keep it the heck out of my way. Highly recommended.

Dan

The DL 1000 V-Strom I bought last spring had one of the Kuyakins installed. I'd never used any one of these throttle tools and wasn't sure how I'd like it. It is on the shelf in the garage now and will likely go in the trash. I found I was inadvertently not closing the throttle completely occasionally as I approached a stop, and even into a few curves. I even moved it to the FJR to see if it was more an issue of familiarity with the machine and had to take it off for the same reasons. I guess I am going to keep things as elementary as possible when it comes to the throttle.

Good to hear you made it out unscratched. Sounds like it took some mad skilz to achieve that outcome. I bet there's a warning about placement in the documents that ship with a new one and, if not, maybe you could file a claim for a new pair of unsoiled underwear....

I have the cramp buster and had a similar experience. I was on one of the twistiest parts of 221 down around Boone. The CB caught in my jackcet sleeve when I had a little tipping incident on a soft shoulder. The kickstand sunk and I muscled the bike and kept it up. what I didn't realize is my sleeve twisted the CB up. It wasn't enough to notice when I took off, but when I got to the twisties I went into a curve and couldn't slow enough to properly set up. I was working the throttle with just the thumb and index finger. Went through a coule more curves before I could get to the side! My brother was wondering why all of a sudden I was riding very strangely. One of the things I discover is that if you want to reposition it or get it out of the way just take the end of it and rotate it in the decel direction. It will spin freely around the grip. Of course in the other direction it will do nothing but accelerate. When I was in full pucker mode I wasn't thinking clearly about the physics. It hasn't happened since, but it is an advantage over the rockers as it is easily adjustable on the fly and easily moved out of the way quickly.

I was considering installing one of these but I'm having second thoughts now. :blink:
Don't deprive yourself of it. It's actually handy as hell. Just don't position it too high. That's just common sense. It will allow you to open your hand and let the

blood flow and your hand won't get numb. You can cruise around all day in comfort. :D

"Has anyone come up with a good method for turning it on without dumping the throttle? "

This is one reason I like the Vista-Cruise so much. Engage/disengage takes fractions of a second with out having to take your hand out of position on the grip. And its easy to overcome in a urgent situation without having to disengage it (same as TM).

I had the TM on a previous bike and always though the on-off action could be easier to be really usefull. They sure were purty though.

My $.02 sorry to hijack, I know this thread was about the TR.

+1 - This is the exact unit I use on the FJR with stock grips. It is a "Throttle Rocker" brand. Unfortunately, it also seems to be unobtanium now, as the "new" velcro version has taken over. I have one of those also (mounted on the VFR) and much prefer the original for it's ultra easy adjustability.

The key is keeping it adjusted so the the throttle can be released with only a slight dorsifexion of the wrist and raising of the elbows a bit. When cruising you do not want your wrist to be completely straight, it will need to be slightly flexed and you need to get into the (good) habit of dropping your elbows and not straight arming the bars, or you won't be able to release the throttle fully when it's time.

I also find that with certain jackets, the bulky sleeves require an adjustment to the rocker to allow the right range. One jacket in particular I allow the TR to slip between the cuff of the jacket and my wrist while riding as it gives me a better feel. That's what makes the first gen TRs so nice, since you just spin it around the grip once to the new position you want it on the fly.

Probably the most important thing is getting used to it being there, if you haven't been using one before. Once you are used to it it gets tough not to have. I had taken mine off to use on my Trophy a while ago and forgot to swap it back (which takes literally seconds) before leaving on a 10 hour ride on Sunday. My right arm was pretty darned tired by the end of the day because I'm not used to having to grip the throttle so tightly.

Man if you get in a jam with a cramp buster or a throttle rocker just rotate the thing. The only bad thing that can happen is you can't get off the throttle and use the front brake at the same time. This can only happen if the throttle rocker was set too high on purpose.

Thats why I don't personally use it as a cruise, its a platform to rest my hand on so, I can relax my fingers. Same with the throttle lock, hand starts cramping, I slide my thumb over to the throttle rocker and use the TM which is 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. 1/4 turn for cruising to relieve my hand some, 1/2 turn for full hold for when I want to take my hand off the grip. The TR is alway set up where I can get off the throttle 100% with my wrist a bit high but where I can still hold the brake. I don't change the setting, its an all around position.

If mine gets screwed up for some reason on a curvy road I quickly pull in the clutch put my right thumb under the my Throttle Rocker and rotate the thing up and forward below the brake lever, takes a couple seconds. Or sometimes I just pull the velcro and reposition on the fly if the road has some straights and I want to change it. In the last 50K I've adjusted one while riding probably 4 times and that was a cramp buster brand which I didn't like very much. The suckers usually will just get loose and rotate down sometimes. So, I've been using a fat natural rubber band to provide some hold between the TR and the grip puppy. Thinking about it though I took off on my South West trip last July with a new TR and I haven't had to adjust in the last 9K.

+1 - This is the exact unit I use on the FJR with stock grips. It is a "Throttle Rocker" brand. Unfortunately, it also seems to be unobtanium now, as the "new" velcro version has taken over. I have one of those also (mounted on the VFR) and much prefer the original for it's ultra easy adjustability.

The key is keeping it adjusted so the the throttle can be released with only a slight dorsifexion of the wrist and raising of the elbows a bit. When cruising you do not want your wrist to be completely straight, it will need to be slightly flexed and you need to get into the (good) habit of dropping your elbows and not straight arming the bars, or you won't be able to release the throttle fully when it's time.

I also find that with certain jackets, the bulky sleeves require an adjustment to the rocker to allow the right range. One jacket in particular I allow the TR to slip between the cuff of the jacket and my wrist while riding as it gives me a better feel. That's what makes the first gen TRs so nice, since you just spin it around the grip once to the new position you want it on the fly.

Probably the most important thing is getting used to it being there, if you haven't been using one before. Once you are used to it it gets tough not to have. I had taken mine off to use on my Trophy a while ago and forgot to swap it back (which takes literally seconds) before leaving on a 10 hour ride on Sunday. My right arm was pretty darned tired by the end of the day because I'm not used to having to grip the throttle so tightly.
I have two of these older type of Throttle Rockers, got them in '96 and have been using it continuously since then. Apparently, Cramp Buster filed a patent infringement and that's whey the TR changed over to the velcro version. I'm happy with the original version and the velcro version just doesn't seem like as good as a design.