Death by Throttle Rocker...Almost

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear you came out of that in good condition.

Improper Installation or Adjustment is a common problem with Throttle Rockers. People try to use them as makeshift Cruise controls or turn them up so that way when they are on the throttle they point straight back. They need to be setup with the paddle sticking straight back or slightly down with your hand on the throttle at idle your hand needs to be in a "natural" position.

This makes me want to take it off when I get to the track in the next few months.

Don't want any of that shi! happening.

thanks for sharing your story- I actually had bought both sizes, changed my mind and took each one back to the dealership.

I went with a "camlock" throttle lock gizmo, and works great for me. Cost a heck more too.

Buck

Dls.TX

Last edited by a moderator:
When I used it, the TR was always as far to the right as I could get it because I actually thought this little scenario through, or so I thought at the time. I'm a big guy (6'6") and, like a couple who posted above, have big hands. No room to go inside the TR and get around it. The tiny profile TR looks like an answer to some of this though. Mine has a fairly large paddle to it.
I'm a pretty careful rider, always thinking ahead and I try to watch 110% of the time. I was completely surprised by this when it happened, but in hindsight, I can see the chain of events that led to it. In all the lead up, every link was implemented with good intention and done with care. I was fortunate in all this...another 3 or 4 mph and I would have crossed the line with potentially miserable consequences.

I have frankly decided to put the TR away. I won't use it anymore. It really does require you to give up some amount of control authority on the throttle and with the Throttle Meister (which I can power through at will), I don't really need it.

Next question regarding the Throttle Meister. Has anyone come up with a good method for turning it on without dumping the throttle?

W2
That is why I bought a brake away throttle lock, it shuts off when you hit the brakes and also has a release button by your thumb. It is a little more expensive than the TM.

I was heading to Bike Week right after I got my FJR, riding down the interstate. I had put my the Throttle Rocker off my KLR on the FJR for the trip. Same thing, the rocker was adjusted up high and there was a problem ahead with a slowing vehicle. I had a hell of a time getting off the throttle and slowing down. I didn't use it the rest of the trip. After I got back, I ordered a Throttlemeister, expensive but worth it.