Deer Rifles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For about any game in the lower 48, I will take my .270 browning a bolt. Thing can put 4 in the same hole at 100, maybe just luck of the draw. I have killed deer, elk, varmits, grouse, coyotes all with the 270. Up to 300, it's balistics are similar to the 30-06 and the 7mm. Beyond 300 velocity drops off, but beyond 300 is a risk shot in most cases. That and it don't kick the shit out of ya. fred jr.

If this were a hunting forum, this topic would be moved to NEPRT!

I bought my R700 in 30-06 with a Leupold 2x7 scope in hopes that it would be a perfect all around rifle from woodchucks with 110 grain bullets to deer and moose with 150, 180 or 220 grain bullets. It is a handy rifle in thick woods on 2 power or sniping across fields and powerlines on higher power. I think I got it right.

The .308 is nearly as flexible with different available bullets and is within a couple hundred fps in velocity as compared to the 30-06. The deer wouldn't notice the difference.

The 7mm-08 would also be an excellent choice. I tend to think the .243 pill might be a bit lightly constructed for woods hunting but will do the job with good bullet placement.

That little 700 in .308 may get your attention when you set it off. For practice, I use a Pachmayr slip-on rubber recoil pad to dampen the recoil.

Good choice...get it!!

Remington 700s are very popular, especially with the benchrest crowd. My only beef with them is that the safety blocks the trigger, not the firing pin. I prefer Mausers and that type of rifle, but different strokes and all.

The best bang for the buck (hey, that was funny...) IMHO is the Savage rifles. Great rifles out of the box for little $$.

For cartridges, the most veristile in North America is 30-06; losts of loadings and ammo available everywhere. If you roll your own, then the 308 should be able to virtually match the 30-06. Also, if you roll your own, 308 or 30-06 should be good for anything in North America as long as you use a proper bullet for the task. You can load down for the smaller deer, or up for moose and elk. Other cartridges to consider .243 (low recoil), .270 (very popular for deer, lots of ammo available), 30-30 (most popular round ever in North America, so "they" say).

I went to Gander Mountain to pick up the rifle today. I was a little disappointed that this particular 700 has a blind magazine. I was expecting to see a hinged floor plate.

I left the store without a new rifle. I would prefer a detachable magazine. I could get used to a hinged floor plate, but I didn't like the idea of that blind magazine.

Have you looked at the new Icon from Thompson Center? It's their first bolt action that they've made, but anything from TC is bound to be an excellent rifle. Adjustable trigger pull, built in scope mounts, 3 round magazine and it looks great IMHO. I currently have a TC encore (single shot) with two barrels, one chambered for 7mm ultra mag and the other for .308 Win. I'm debating getting the .308 barrell bored out to .300 SAUM and then go pick up the Icon in .308 so I still have that caliber.

Have you looked at the new Icon from Thompson Center?
I found this article It looks interesting. I'll make some calls tomorrow and see if I can find someone who has one.

I've also looked at the Sako 85 Stainless Synthetic, Weatherby Accumark, and Kimber. I like the Kimber 8400, but it's not chambered for .308 (even though they sell a Model 8400 Tactical™ .308 Win.)

The Kimber with its Mauser action led me to take a look at Remington’s Model 798™ which is also a Mauser action.

I've come almost full circle. (as in dog and tail)

A Remington/Mauser in .308 for 100 bucks less than I would have spent on the mountain rifle. hhhhhmmm

Wow, over $1500 MSRP for the Sako?. . . and $2k for the Weatherby? Yikes. I like the mauser actions, but overall, I still think the Icon is going to be the one for me. Have you checked out the official website for the T/C Icon

Wow, over $1500 MSRP for the Sako?. . . and $2k for the Weatherby? Yikes. I like the mauser actions, but overall, I still think the Icon is going to be the one for me. Have you checked out the official website for the T/C Icon
Yes, I did check out the TC Arms website. I think the Icon would be a great gun.

I could order a Weatherby Mark V Accumark for $1,240.92, plus $25. for shipping, plus whatever my local FFL charges me to receive the shipment. A local shop is going to call Monday to check into the Accubrake option for me.

The Weatherby is nice. I was surprised to learn that they are made in Brainerd, MN. (I should have been in Brainerd this morning for the Harvest Run, but that's another story)

There are definitely less expensive options. For me it's a question of value. When it was time for me to replace my 2004 Kawasaki Concours, I could have purchased a 2006 Concours. I chose the 2006 FJR even though it was more expensive.

Yes, I did check out the TC Arms website. I think the Icon would be a great gun.
I could order a Weatherby Mark V Accumark for $1,240.92, plus $25. for shipping, plus whatever my local FFL charges me to receive the shipment. A local shop is going to call Monday to check into the Accubrake option for me.

The Weatherby is nice. I was surprised to learn that they are made in Brainerd, MN. (I should have been in Brainerd this morning for the Harvest Run, but that's another story)

There are definitely less expensive options. For me it's a question of value. When it was time for me to replace my 2004 Kawasaki Concours, I could have purchased a 2006 Concours. I chose the 2006 FJR even though it was more expensive.
That's a decent price for the Weatherby. I really like the 9 lug feature on the bolt for a shorter throw. I'm a believer in the muzzle brakes too. They look kind of wierd and sometimes you get some looks from people at the range, but they do work.

$750 is not expensive, it's a start.

Keep the bolt and receiver and throw the rest away.

Haven't had a rifle made yet for under $3500

...and do you recognize what this is?

[..picture removed..]

edit: answer: SR-25

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a 30/30 lever for jump shooting tight wooded areas where a scope is worthless. Killed plenty of deer with it too.
Well, I am indeed a cheap bastard. A friend of ours let my son borrow a Winchester Model 94 30/30, so I've put off the rifle purchase until the off-season.

I took the boy on his first deer hunt this past weekend. Good times. I let him drive my truck off-road. It was a fun consolation for not bagging a deer. We saw a half dozen little deer and shot at none of them, so the only shooting he's done with the ‘94 is at the range.

Sounds like ya’ll had fun. Kinda wondered if you were a deer-hunter the first time I saw that “squashed deer tick” :yes: in your avatar! Couldn’t resist. :) AIGF

My vote is a 30-06.

Versatle and Powerful. Should drop any deer on the spot, even from 200 yards. Ammo is available is different grains/velocities. Relatively flat line trajectory (good enough for deer hunting anyway).

7mm or 300mag is prolly overkill, but then again if there is any big game hunting in your future, or you plan to get the deer from a long range...go for it. I have shot both and they give tremendous kick...not good for accuracy as you'll almost certainly flinch anticipating a sore shoulder. The 30-06 is a little less powerful and much easier to shoot accurately with.

If you're a small guy, maybe consider a .270win. That may not take it down immediately at longer ranges, but easily does within say 120 yards. So if you're hunting out west with wide open spaces...I would go for something bigger.

Any smaller like a .243 and it's going to run a ways before you can retrieve it, unless you are within kinda close range. Agree--a 30/30 will put one down, but you better be in close range as mentioned like in tighter woods.

It's been a year.

This is what we ended up with:

TikkaT3_Lite_Stainless.jpg

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless made by Sako Finland

.308 Winchester

I was really surprised by how many manufactures are producing AR-10s this year. It seems like everyone has jumped on that bandwagon. An AR-10 would be fun to shoot, but it's not exactly a deer rifle.

Tikka makes very nice long guns. I don't own one yet, but it's on my short list. I came very close to buying one on clearance in .243 a few years ago but it was sold before I could make up my mind. I hope you enjoy it.

I own an AR15 and shoot it a lot at the range. My shooting buddy hunts deer with his AR15 and an AR10. The .223 is adequate if you are meticulous about not taking the shot unless it is perfect, which this guy is. The AR10 is heavier and overall bigger to carry afield.

I rarely go looking for deer these days, but when I do I prefer to carry my lever action Winchester in .44 Mag. Of course that means I have to get up close and personal. Where I hunt it is mostly heavy woods.