Defeated by Rear Dunlop RoadSmart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like a lot of things in life, it's not just technique, but also where to apply lubricant. Knowing where and when is key.

Granted the tire used in the No-Mar video has likely been mounted/demounted so many times it will likely fall on if you pushed hard enough, but regardless, pay note to exactly where Sue puts the lube.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/videos/27

Having changed roughly two hundred tires (12 more than Jeff Ashe has put on his FJR's) I've learned a few things while attending the school of hard-knocks-tire-changing. Whether you're using a BFH or a fancy changer, always keep the opposite side of the tire pushed down into the center from where you're trying to lever it on, and lubing the underside of the tire lip/bead where it drags across the rim is key. If you fail to do these two things, you're not going to have a good experience.

Before I learned these things I had tires that I'd swear were a smaller diameter than the rim was. Since I'm only 145 lbs, I can't muscle-on anything. If the tire doesn't go on with only a moderate effort, either the opposite side isn't in the center, the lube is too little/in the wrong place, or both.

Last edited by a moderator:
**** that! $25 per tire at my dealer is totally worth not being frustrated and wasting 3 hours of my day on this stupid shit. I mounted my current set of PR3s with Pinhead, and honestly, its a hassle. I'd rather pay someone to do it.

Ditto!!!!!....... :fans:

I didn't read all 4 pages of this, so someone may have already said what I'm going to say, sorry.

First off, I use two soft straps around the wheel to secure it to the tire machine so it doesn't spin. This helps a lot.

After I get the first bead on, which is usually really easy, I CLEAN all the tire lube off the rim with a rag - this is important. I do not lube the second bead until I get as much of it over the wheel as possible, then I only lube the remaining part of the tire. You want the tire to grip the rim where it's already over and the rest to slide over the rim with the lube - hope that makes sense. After I figured this out, my tire mounting problems were gone.

I use quick clamps to pinch the beads together and to hold the second bead under the lip of the rim while I use the MojoLever to get the rest on. Easy peasy.

**** that! $25 per tire at my dealer is totally worth not being frustrated and wasting 3 hours of my day on this stupid shit. I mounted my current set of PR3s with Pinhead, and honestly, its a hassle. I'd rather pay someone to do it.
If I had to pay $50 extra for every tire change...that's a lot of dough for tires. I have had to in the past to get a RS on...but I hate doing it.

I got that RoadSmart on the wheel! The No Scuff Tire Tool mounting end was not doing it for me so I resorted to a single tire iron. I'll work on learning to better use the No Scuff with a later experience. The demounting tip worked great.

I used four of these HF clamps to compress the tire and was able to mostly work the second bead on by hand. Getting the final 12" required the tire iron to flip the bead over the rim. I used the blue liquid lube from NAPA cut by 50% with water and applied with spray bottle.

image_16464.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-heavy-duty-f-style-welding-clamp-65683.html

I'm glad I could do this myself and will do it again, even though I could have given a good shop $20 - $25 to get the job done. I learned some skill and I can now choose to do it myself or not, and being able to mount a tough tire may be very valuable someday.

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful information, I really appreciate it!

Andy

Holy Crap! Just mounted a RS and what a pain! Now, I'm not an expert but I've mounted about a dozen tires now with spoons by myself with very litle effort. This thing, though,was a killer. My first clue to what I was in store for was I could not just push the first bead over the rim. Had to help the last little bit on with an iron. Second side could just not get the oppsoite side bead to compress. Kneeled down with all 230 lbs and it barely flexed at all. Has to finally resort to having my son give me a third hand and even then we struggled.

All I can say is this thing better handle like a dream and wear forever or else I'm sticking with PR2's.

I have a Coats 220, center-less chuck, and every conceivable accessory - but I don't do Dunlop tires. Watched a friend wipe out a No-mar table trying to mount a Dunlop on a Goldwing wheel. Mounted 4 tires for a friend yesterday in about 1 hour. Got those mothers so hot I had to use gloves to handle them.

The best tip is patients. Once you start fighting it your fucked. Let the tire relax its grip (ever so little) helps.

Bunch'a wimps. :eek:

:p

I've done a number of roadsmart rear tires (I wouldn't take a front one for free) on FJR rims by myself, and I only used two tire irons 'cause that's all I have.

You just need to conscientiously push the opposite side into the valley of the rim, and, because the roadsmart is a wider profile tire it does resists staying there..

Latest posts