Defeated by Rear Dunlop RoadSmart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next tire change might be interesting. I've been changing my own PR2's with spoons and getting pretty good at it, but I just received my first roadsmart. I guess I'll see if I have real skills or not.

I didn't get the concrete mixer either :huh:

I've found that Dunlop's [and Bridgestones] have a very stiff sidewall. As many have mentioned, the key to mounting the second bead is keeping the opposite side in the valley. They are a bitch to begin, but the further you move around it gets easier...go figure.

OTOH, I mounted up a set of yard tractor rear tires a couple weeks ago. Mounting was fairly painless, getting to beads to seat...not so much! Off to the Craftsman forum... :lol: ;)

--G

A few months ago in my buddy's shop we ran into a similiar problem mounting my Z6 rear. The old man came out, told us too get a two by four and a BFH. Well wouldn't you know it worked like a charm. He said thats how they did it in the 50's before they had fancy air operated tire machines for car tires. :)

"get a two by four and a BFH"

This didn't damage the tire bead or the wheel? I suppose that if you had video of this you would have mentioned it.

"thats how they did it in the 50's before they had fancy air operated tire machines for car tires"

And before they had aluminum alloy wheels and Z rated tires.

Maybe I'm a weenie, but I am reluctant to refine this method for my FJR. With some demo I could be persuaded.

Thank you all,

Andy

You know what works great with Roadsmarts? A cup of diesel and a match. Two cups if your torchin' the back one too.

The tire in question is the rear RoadSmart. The front is a Diablo Strada.
Where did you find one of those? Haven't seen any of the Pirellis available in well over a year now. That used to be my favorite combo (RS rear w/ Strada front). I went through about 4-5 of those rears and 3 of the fronts, as I recall.

Well, I bought this Strada at the Albq Cycle Gear about a 1.5 years ago. I bought it long before I needed it because of all the favorable comments and the mention of it going out of production. I also have another that I later bought at Motorcycle Superstore because it became available. I wore the front BT021 to paper thin rubber at 6000 miles and down to cords on the rear BT021 at 8500 miles. I am convinced that I will be more responsible in the tire replacement department if I can do it myself. Looking forward to the performance of the RS rear and Strada front.

I guess that I am becoming sort of an FJR tire enthusiast. Not that I have any expectation of approaching the experience level of many on this forum, but I have an interest in where the rubber meets the road. I have this other front Strada, a front Angel, and a rear BT023 GT waiting for those miles that seem so elusive.

Andy

Experience level? Me neither. But you have the (arguably, still) premium setup right there.

Good on ya' for thinking that far ahead. I have trouble thinking about what I'll do tomorrow, and I sure can't remember yesterday. ;)

Well, I bought this Strada at the Albq Cycle Gear about a 1.5 years ago. I bought it long before I needed it because of all the favorable comments and the mention of it going out of production. I also have another that I later bought at Motorcycle Superstore because it became available. I wore the front BT021 to paper thin rubber at 6000 miles and down to cords on the rear BT021 at 8500 miles. I am convinced that I will be more responsible in the tire replacement department if I can do it myself. Looking forward to the performance of the RS rear and Strada front.

I guess that I am becoming sort of an FJR tire enthusiast. Not that I have any expectation of approaching the experience level of many on this forum, but I have an interest in where the rubber meets the road. I have this other front Strada, a front Angel, and a rear BT023 GT waiting for those miles that seem so elusive.

Andy
Dude...If you live near Albuquerque and you're buying tires anywhere besides one of the R&S stores, your getting hosed. Cycle Gear can't even come close, and I've tried.

Well, I only bought one tire from Albq Cycle Gear, the front Strada on it now which was at some discount that I couldn't beat online. The other tires I bought from Motorcycle Superstore, Jake Wilson, and Chapparal. I bought the bike from R&S so I feel that plenty of my money went to them (I don't feel hosed, but I didn't get a smokin' deal either).

Now, HRZ, I know you have some bad feelings for Cycle Gear, you seem to like the guy at Bobby J's, and like R&S's tire prices. I can't argue with anything that you say and I have read all the relevant material about FJR tires that I can find. Mostly, I keep my mouth shut and read a lot. So, I really thank you for expressing what you believe.

As far as taking this tire that I bought online to a local shop for mounting, I guess I could to that. I want to do it myself because I have gained confidence by reading on this forum and think I should be able to do it. I feel somewhat like a cheater if I buy online and take it to local shop for mounting, but I can get over that if I only ask them to get that second bead over the rim and pay them fairly for the labor.

Another weekend is coming along so I will try some different hold down and clamping strategies, and let the NM sun get that tire warmed up. Then I get to experience bead seating and balancing with the help of Marc Parnes.

Thank you all,

Andy

You aren't cheating the local store by taking the tire in that you bought online. They'll get their profit by what they charge you to mount it. I pretty much guarantee it won't be the same charge as if you'd bought it from them. But the biggest savings can be found by buying online and mounting it yourself, good luck!

Now, HRZ, I know you have some bad feelings for Cycle Gear, you seem to like the guy at Bobby J's, and like R&S's tire prices.

Andy
Where'd you get that idea? I love our local Cycle Gear and gladly give them lots of business. Jeremy and a couple others ride dirt and are pretty good. However, they can't touch R&S's tire prices and wont even try because they say R&S is selling at a loss. Donno of that's true or not.

I mainly like R&S for the tire deals. I haven't even found cheaper prices on line, but they make it up by charging $45 per tire to mount...On or off the bike. Every now and then they come through with something I need, and they've always been good to me.

I like Bobby J's because their service dept is top notch and Chad is a phenomenal mechanic who has taken very good care of my bike.

Either way, I was simply suggesting you look at R&S's prices since your local. Your reply struck me as some kind of backhanded passive aggressive insult...Maybe that's just the way I took it.

Back on track for a second.... You ain't took an ass whipping 'till you instal a car tire on yer bike. :eek:

Just some spoons and a few clamps, no tire machine ;)

Back on track for a second.... You ain't took an ass whipping 'till you install a car tire on yer bike. :eek:

Just some spoons and a few clamps, no tire machine ;)
dumb-ass-award.jpg

"Your reply struck me as some kind of backhanded passive aggressive insult..."

No, not at all HRZ. Evidently, I mistakenly recalled you relating an experience that left you lacking confidence in Cycle Gear tire mounting competency. I highly value your suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks for reminding me about Chad at Bobby J's. Maybe I'll ask him to perform the grounding recall and tighten the steering head bearing.

I have never met Bustanut, but if his claims are true he is able to accomplish amazing motorcycle maintenance feats that give inspiration. However, some of his other accomplishments are of no interest to me!

"Your reply struck me as some kind of backhanded passive aggressive insult..."

No, not at all HRZ. Evidently, I mistakenly recalled you relating an experience that left you lacking confidence in Cycle Gear tire mounting competency. I highly value your suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks for reminding me about Chad at Bobby J's. Maybe I'll ask him to perform the grounding recall and tighten the steering head bearing.

I have never met Bustanut, but if his claims are true he is able to accomplish amazing motorcycle maintenance feats that give inspiration. However, some of his other accomplishments are of no interest to me!
For Chrissakes! Get a ROOM you two!

Latest posts