Delinking brakes on an '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavy

Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of delinking the brakes on my '08AE. Has anyone attempted this? Searched but didn't find anything useful.

Will '05 Gen I front calpers bolt up to my forks? Any helpful info would appreciated.

It ought to be a fairly straightforward matter to delink the brakes . . . .

Disconnect and cap the feed to the rear-linked piston and, if you want the additional front end braking, add a line to drive the just-disconnected piston from the other three.

Having said that, the linking system is extremely unobtrusive and I wonder what you expect to gain by doing this?

Unless you're Rossi, why would you want to de-link the brakes? I've ridden sport bikes with standard brakes and the linked brakes on this bike have never been an issue.

More reasons to un necessarily spend money and screw with something that doesn't need to be screwed with.

After looking into it. I don't think its such a good idea either. Best to not mess with it. Thanks

After looking into it. I don't think its such a good idea either. Best to not mess with it. Thanks

Cavy, I plan to do that this winter. I have a 2009 AE (bought new this summer) and I'm old school I guess. I have 182,000 miles on my 1993 FJ1200 and still have the original rear pads in it. When I use my front brakes, only one set of pistons have pressure on them and my brake pads are going to wear un-evenly (right caliper). I will be removing the brake caliper and machining it to match the left side so pressure will be applied to both sets of pistons without addind another line to loop it around.

Why not just get in the habit of using both brakes? Like the BRC teaches, you always want to have it, as an instinct, to use both brakes.

The reason is because we never know when an emergency stop may be needed. It makes good sense to me...

And then having the brakes linked or not wouldn't make a hill of a beans of difference... except of course when we bleed them... pain in the ass...

I rode other bikes with linked brakes that sucked. When I bought my 06 I thought they had to go, before giving them a chance.

Forgot all about it, now I actually like them.

Cavy, I plan to do that this winter. I have a 2009 AE (bought new this summer) and I'm old school I guess. I have 182,000 miles on my 1993 FJ1200 and still have the original rear pads in it. When I use my front brakes, only one set of pistons have pressure on them and my brake pads are going to wear un-evenly (right caliper). I will be removing the brake caliper and machining it to match the left side so pressure will be applied to both sets of pistons without addind another line to loop it around.
Just because you have been doing things wrong all these years doesn't mean it's too late to change and become a better rider. Quit being a stubborn fool and trying to adapt the bike to you by eliminating modern technology. You need to make an effort to adapt to the bike and all it's wonderful technology.

Unless you're Rossi, why would you want to de-link the brakes? I've ridden sport bikes with standard brakes and the linked brakes on this bike have never been an issue.

More reasons to un necessarily spend money and screw with something that doesn't need to be screwed with.
What he said.
johnny80s: I always thought that YOU were Rossi!

Delinking the brakes helps with burnouts, but you have to also disconnect the ABS if you want to do fishtail skids.

Or just leave it alone.

Just because you have been doing things wrong all these years doesn't mean it's too late to change and become a better rider. Quit being a stubborn fool and trying to adapt the bike to you by eliminating modern technology. You need to make an effort to adapt to the bike and all it's wonderful technology.

Dirt track singles in mid 80's, road racing from 1989 to 2008 from FZ 700, FZR 600, F-2, R-6, R-1 and retired on a SV650. Factory Dunlop Race tire Rep. AMA Pro..... I think I know what brake to use and when.

Finished 4th in my 1st LD (MN 2000) and my old FJ milage speaks for my street knowlege.

For me, I don't feel I'm "doing things wrong all these years". Maybe if I had a Harly, I would stand on the rear brake and hope for the best. I also pulled the ABS off of my FJ and will do the same this winter to my FJR.

Kevin - welcome to the forum from another Minnesotan. What you're doing isn't crazy, it's just crazy that you're spending the time to do it to an FJR - so I think you'll get a lot of 'responses.' If GSXR's came with linked brakes, I'm sure you'd be a trend setter. And then there's that crazy idea of moving batteries...

I would enjoy having a brake mode selection that enables/disables the linked brakes. There have been times when my off-pavement goat trail segments have been very challenging to manage steep downhill, fully-loaded two-up, on a gravel/dirt road.

Flip switch - go gravel. Find pavement - flip switch. Me likey!

:D

Kevin - welcome to the forum from another Minnesotan. What you're doing isn't crazy, it's just crazy that you're spending the time to do it to an FJR - so I think you'll get a lot of 'responses.' If GSXR's came with linked brakes, I'm sure you'd be a trend setter. And then there's that crazy idea of moving batteries...

BIR in a week and a half and round 18 AMA dirt track that evening. I plan to ride up, watch RR on Saturday, dirt track Saturday night and help in the pits on Sunday for the 5hr endurance. If you've never been there, you should go.

When do Linked Brakes suck....When you have an AE and your in stop and go traffic. It would be bad if the front actived the back, it's when the back activates the fron and your speed/throttle drop. Then if you are dragging the rear break the front end takes a dive. Sort of sucks. You get used to it after a while but it still sucks.

Ditto

Years ago, I delinked the brakes on my CBR1100XX. Although the FJR1300 has ABS and the Blackbird doesn't, whenever I ride the bikes back-to-back I always prefer the brakes on the FJR1300 and find myself wishing that I'd kept the integrated brakes on the Honda.