Denali DM LED driving lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone out there installed the Denali DM lights on the lower forks? I thinking of using the fork reflector brackets. Seems like that is an ideal location for these little lights. I do not ride at night so my objective is to be seen by oncoming vehicles.

If you want to be seen by oncoming bikes, day or night, go with the Clear Water Darla's. Day or Night the best conspicuity you can get in a LED light!

https://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/clearwater-darla-led-lights/

Clear Water Erika's mounted above and Darla's mounted below on the forks of my 2013

DSC00019_zpscec67874.jpg

If all you want is conspicuity then fork mounted Darla's will do. If you want to ride deer infested roads early morning and after dusk then get the Erika's.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your question .... Yes, those lights should be fine there :)

However, there is some dispute over whether or not lights mounted so low do much for conspicuity, and you might want to consider mounting them on brackets under the mirrors.

It's just a thought.

I have a Denali set attached under the mirrors and Darlas on the lower forks. I run amber lens on the Darlas. If I had to choose I would opt for the lower fork position. Keeping the aux lites far from the head lites makes the bike's signature larger. The triangular arrangement also seems to improve conspicuity. Look at the lites on the front of trains; they use a triangle to make the train more visible, not so they can see better. Although I run aux lites under the mirrors I am concerned that they make the front turn indicators hard to see.

Thanks for the comments. I lean more toward the lower fork position having seen them on a friends Hardley Davidson. It got my attention as the Denali DM's are on high intensity all the time. They really stand out because they are so much brighter than the headlights.

I add my vote for the lower fork mounting to make the bike more visible. A couple of years ago I rode with Patriot and when he was behind me I was astonished at how well I could see him and how easily I could judge the distance to him.

I believe the term is "The Triangle of Light" and it makes for great daytime visibility. That separation between the headlights and the LEDs on the forks really works.

I have amber lensed Glendas mounted on the lower forks, using the Clearwater supplied brackets, and Ericas mounted on Clearwater mirror brackets. Lotsa light.

I'll add my vote to the 'triangle of light' concept, and those Ericas really do light up the forest rats lurking at the roadside.

This is a good site:

https://www.bikevis.com/

Concur with the others, 'Triangle of Light' greatly helps MC notice-ability. When I had my Cagiva Gran Canyon, people would pull out in front of me and/or cut me off, day or night, way too often. It had one low beam illuminated with no other aux. lighting.

My FJR has quad BikeVis LED Bullits on the lower fork and Halogen Hella aux. lights on mirror brackets which creates the 'Triangle of Light' nicely. This set up has almost completely eliminated being cut off by cagers.

From what I've heard, the Denalis are a high quality light that would be great for this use.

I have the Denalis under the mirrors and recently switched to the wide rangle lenses that comes with. I like them better this way,as I'm more concerned with seeing the sides of the rural roads I travel. Don't know about triangulation of lights etc. but there is enough difference of the in the appearence of the light from the front to suit me.

Yes, I understand the conventional wisdom is that a "triangle" of light is more conspicuous .... However, some recent studies have cast some doubt over the "headlight/front fork" arrangement, maybe because we are not locomotives.

One such study is detailed here:

https://msac.org.nz/our-work/visibility-project/

Just think we should have as much info as possible before making decisions like this.

Yes, I understand the conventional wisdom is that a "triangle" of light is more conspicuous .... However, some recent studies have cast some doubt over the "headlight/front fork" arrangement, maybe because we are not locomotives.

Just think we should have as much info as possible before making decisions like this.
As with any govermental agency; moving at the speed of government. "The data analysis will be finished in early 2014, and we'll report the results to you as soon as they are available." Here we are at the tail end of 2014 and they are still reviewing ....

That report is from New Zealand; they're in a different time zone than us; and I'll give them some more time because ... don't clocks run backwards in the southern hemisphere?

This link (https://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/2008/08/z-line-4-how-it-helps.html) has nothing to do with lighting but does discuss how to increase one's conspicuity. My long-time outdoor experience also endorses the "movement against a background" theory, and I occasionally drive a Z-Line. No scientific data, but it makes me feel better -- while covering both brake levers and the horn button.

Questions, since I have no experience with aux lights:

1. Does it make a difference that fork-mounted lights swing in the direction of a turn?

2. If mounted on upside-down forks (ala 2015 FJR ES), wouldn't those lights get bounced all day long? Might increase conspicuity, though.

As with any govermental agency; moving at the speed of government. "The data analysis will be finished in early 2014, and we'll report the results to you as soon as they are available." Here we are at the tail end of 2014 and they are still reviewing ....
Being an advocate of the 'k i s s" principal, my vote is for the triangle of light.

With my set-up I occasionally have other drivers flash their high beams at me on bright sunny days. I think they find the amber lens a bit irratating, but they do notice me.

Questions, since I have no experience with aux lights:
1. Does it make a difference that fork-mounted lights swing in the direction of a turn?

2. If mounted on upside-down forks (ala 2015 FJR ES), wouldn't those lights get bounced all day long? Might increase conspicuity, though.
1. Yes it does make a difference. It makes it better in every way. Making the turn into my driveway on my return from working nights is so much easier. They effectively become "cornering lights" in that instance and they are very useful.

2. They should not bounce any more on the upside down forks than they do on conventional forks. I have never had any "bounce" issues with mine and having ridden with Gen1 and Gen 2 FJRs as well as ST1300s with the fork mounted lights, I never saw any issues. I do know it makes those bikes 1000 times easier to spot in my mirrors, and the lights seem to be rock steady.

I pointed the bike at my garage door and set it on the centerstand. Then I adjusted the lights vertically to match the upper level of my low beams. I never get flashed by oncoming drivers.

I have the Denali DM's mounted at the fender bracket on my bike. They do make a difference in that they help create the triangle effect that helps drivers see us better day and night. Also, they add just the right amount of additional light I need at night on dark roads. They don't put out as much light as some of the other light set ups that are available but they work fine for me.

Thanks folks for the comments. I am going to put them on the forks using the reflector brackets. Do I need to install a fuse block? The only other added power draw on the bike is a pigtail for the battery tender. Remember these Denali DM lights are constant hi beam. I expect the installation instructions will give details on the proper connections. Thanks again for your thoughts. Art

Take a look at the Skene controller as well. It allows you to adjust the power at low beam set and high beam. There is also a flash mode. Just a quick toggle of the high beam switch puts the aux lights into a flash sequence for a few seconds. It really gets peoples attention. The other really neat thing is the controller allows you to do a switchless connection. Lights on when you start the bike.