Did all the throttle mods, still not happy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We may be cranky grumpy old men, but we still like to read happy endings! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Help! I have a new black cherry 07. Just turned over 1200 miles. I installed the G2 throttle tamer, Throttlemeister bar end weights. And today I released the center throttle spring 1 turn. I'm still disappointed. Getting back on the gas at higher rpm's just isn't smooth enough for me. No matter how hard I try to feather on the gas it still hits too hard. Not a problem at lower rpms but at higher revs it sucks. My question is this. What next? Will a power commander and the right map make it perfect? I sure hope so. I would appreciate any input.

If you look at the cam on the G2 throttle you will see the jump in height midway between the low rpm and high rpm throttle positions. This may be the jump your feeling in throttle response.

Help! I have a new black cherry 07. Just turned over 1200 miles. I installed the G2 throttle tamer, Throttlemeister bar end weights. And today I released the center throttle spring 1 turn. I'm still disappointed. Getting back on the gas at higher rpm's just isn't smooth enough for me. No matter how hard I try to feather on the gas it still hits too hard. Not a problem at lower rpms but at higher revs it sucks. My question is this. What next? Will a power commander and the right map make it perfect? I sure hope so. I would appreciate any input.
If you look at the cam on the G2 throttle you will see the jump in height midway between the low rpm and high rpm throttle positions. This may be the jump your feeling in throttle response.
The bump on the G2 cam is the inverse of the curve of the throttle pulley on the injector rack. Analogy: Yamaha pulley is a +1; the G2 is a -1; add them together and = 0 = 1:1 ratio between throttle grip movement and throttle pulley travel.

Most of the posts about throttle response characteristics interchange terms, where one person's 'abrupt throttle' is in reference to FI mapping, but another person's 'abrupt throttle' may be in reference to the throttle pulley.

Yamaha's FI map seems to have issues with the throttle tip-in and trail-off. When the ECU senses the throttle being rolled off it chops off the FI causing an abrupt decel; then when rolling the throttle back on the ECU delays the FI enrichment shot until suddenly it applies the FI enrichment shot all at once. A PCIII will ease this kind of accel/decel abruptness.

I have an '07. It has a G2 cam but the spring is unmodified. The only "surge" issue it has is the transition at low speeds from throttle off to throttle on.
A "surge" at 5000 RPM is called "horsepower". Ride it some more and you'll like it.
Agree, I added the G2 as well and have no issues now, a little snatchy 1st to 2nd but you can feather that in pretty easily.

I added the G2 when I first got the bike 07, no longer have any problems, I highly recommend this add on. I have not released the spring but thinking of it, still tough on the right hand even with cruise available. Throttle is still a little snatchy 1st to 2nd but you can feather that in no problem.

Last edited by a moderator: