Diesel pickup question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorfjr

Reaction score
For those of you using a diesel to tow, what kind of mileage are you getting? I am towing a 26 foot travel trailer that weighs about 8200 lbs with a F150 EcoBoost. I have never run out of power but just coming off of a 700 mile trip crossing 4 mountain passes my combined mileage was 9,8 mpg. Will a diesel get enough better mileage to justify?

Here's my experience with a 2017 Ram 2500 Diesel - no data to support it - just my recollection:

- No Trailer, 65 MPH, mostly flat terrain: 18-19 MPG  (Occasionally in the low 20's when I'm really light-footed.)

- No Trailer, 80 MPH, mostly flat terrain: 15-17 MPG (Idaho, Wyoming, Utah -  I-84, I-80, I-15 - the wind factors in, especially in Wyoming!)

- 24' Enclosed Trailer, 8000 lbs, 65 MPH, mostly flat terrain: 14-15 MPG

- 24' Enclosed Trailer, 8000 lbs, 65 MPH, mountains along ~25% of trip: 11-12 MPG

My old '98 454cid Suburban 2500 got 12-14 MPG solo and between 8-10 MPG while towing on routes which included mountains. However, I didn't get the Ram for the mileage. The gas Suburban is a great tow rig, but towing with the diesel is so much more effortless. When climbing steep hills, the Suburban was often in 2nd gear near redline and sounded like it was straining. In the Ram, the only indication that the diesel is working harder is that the boost level is higher. (And the instantaneous fuel mileage is lower ;)  )

Ram-and-Trailer-800x600.jpg

Ram-HAUL1-N-800x600.jpg

I would love a diesel to get twice the mileage but how much would it cost to upgrade?  10, 15, 20 K?   You can buy a hell of a lot of gas with that, if you are happy with the power of the Eco boost why bother.  

Or in the words of a wise man..."if I had your money-  I'd be driving a diesel".  😁

What I'm hearing is that I might pick up a few mpg, but the cost to upgrade and maintain doesn't pencil in. The 3.5 v6 has never run out of power towing,  so think I'll keep her and save it for another toy.👍

I’m a diesel fan. The mileage is better for certain, but the range and power is why you choose one, as the maintenance costs and DEF fluid eats into the savings. My gas mileage on my 2013 RAM mirrors Bug’s, towing a 28 ft 7500lb trailer. Love going up passes that tax the smaller gassers. You will get some of that investment back in resale as diesels hold their value quite well.

2017 Ram 3500 Dually, I tow a 41' 15k 5th wheel. Not towing around town 17-19, highway 18-22 depending on weather. Towing 10-12 average. Went from Poulsbo WA to W Yellowstone and that was my average. Diesels are definitely more expensive but Torque, mileage just can't be matched with a gasser.

If you can live with the narrow power band that most diesels bring to the table. they have other assets that make them interesting.

Fuel mileage, by itself, can never justify a vehicle switch. That said, if your vehicle is dead and you need another one, look at the fuel mileage as a factor. If all you're doing is replacing a serviceable vehicle, you need way more justification than fuel efficiency.

That goes for anything, not just a gas vs. diesel tow vehicle. Years ago, my sister was driving one of those 2-generations-ago Town Cars. She liked it, it drove OK, was comfortable and reliable, but got about 15 mpg max. With just her and one kid, it was too much car, but it was cheap to buy at the time she bought it. She started asking me about what else she could get that might be in the high 20s or low 30s for mpg around town. I asked her what was wrong with the Lincoln? She said "Nothing, I just can't keep putting gas in it."

I built a spreadsheet, where you put in the cost of a gallon of fuel, the mileage of car A, the mileage of car B, the income from selling car A, and the payout of buying car B, and it would show you the break-even time of the trade.

She kept the Lincoln, as no car she could afford was going to run the 12 years it would take to make it worthwhile to change based on fuel efficiency alone. You can buy a lot of gas for the thousands a vehicle costs. 

Been down this road myself, 8K pull trailer, 1/2 ton gas pickup. It pulled it “ok”,  but we had no reserve capacity left and we planned cross continent travel and eventually upgraded to a 3/4 ton Duramax. There is no comparison, the heavier truck, brakes, diesel engine and Allison trans is a game changer, you go from a marginal situation to a very comfortable tow. Whether this makes economic sense is for you to decide. I will say, I love the Duramax, but preferred driving the 1/2 ton for a daily driver.  
My mileage was about like yours with the gas engine & pull trailer, with the present rig, 2019 1 ton SRW Duramax, 15,000 lb fifth wheel we average 10.6 mpg towing @ 63 mph, DEF mileage is ~400/800 mpg, towing, not towing. 

Fuel mileage, by itself, can never justify a vehicle switch. That said, if your vehicle is dead and you need another one, look at the fuel mileage as a factor. If all you're doing is replacing a serviceable vehicle, you need way more justification than fuel efficiency.

That goes for anything, not just a gas vs. diesel tow vehicle. Years ago, my sister was driving one of those 2-generations-ago Town Cars. She liked it, it drove OK, was comfortable and reliable, but got about 15 mpg max. With just her and one kid, it was too much car, but it was cheap to buy at the time she bought it. She started asking me about what else she could get that might be in the high 20s or low 30s for mpg around town. I asked her what was wrong with the Lincoln? She said "Nothing, I just can't keep putting gas in it."

I built a spreadsheet, where you put in the cost of a gallon of fuel, the mileage of car A, the mileage of car B, the income from selling car A, and the payout of buying car B, and it would show you the break-even time of the trade.

She kept the Lincoln, as no car she could afford was going to run the 12 years it would take to make it worthwhile to change based on fuel efficiency alone. You can buy a lot of gas for the thousands a vehicle costs. 
I have a 2003 ram 2500 with a 5.9 diesel 250,000 miles and still getting it done. Payments stopped in 2008, trust me I got my monies worth.

Latest posts