Difficult Slow Speed Steering on '07 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, had the exact same problem you did on an 07......see here....https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=125665&hl= In a nutshell, the OEM Metzlers were causing the problem. Mine only had 4K miles on it but the tires didn't look too bad. Basically the bike would stand up while cornering and fall in during low speed maneuvering. Bought the Michelin PR2's and the problem was solved.
Hey Tesla,

Thanks for the info and link. I was wondering about your "Tesla" user name. I used to work for a company called Oxford Superconducting Technology that made 1.5 and 2.0 Tesla superconducting magnets for MRI Imaging. Are you involved with high strength magnets?

The joke at Oxford was that after a guy spent a day working around a 2.0 Tesla magnet, when he went home and laid down in bed that night, he would spin around and point north! Ever have that problem?

John

John, had the exact same problem you did on an 07......see here....https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=125665&hl= In a nutshell, the OEM Metzlers were causing the problem. Mine only had 4K miles on it but the tires didn't look too bad. Basically the bike would stand up while cornering and fall in during low speed maneuvering. Bought the Michelin PR2's and the problem was solved.
Hey Tesla,

Thanks for the info and link. I was wondering about your "Tesla" user name. I used to work for a company called Oxford Superconducting Technology that made 1.5 and 2.0 Tesla superconducting magnets for MRI Imaging. Are you involved with high strength magnets?

The joke at Oxford was that after a guy spent a day working around a 2.0 Tesla magnet, when he went home and laid down in bed that night, he would spin around and point north! Ever have that problem?

John
I'm a MRI Tech. We previously had a Philips Infinion magnet that was made by Oxford. Great magnet but crappy application by Philips. Got a new GE 1.5 T magnet and all is well. Many facilities now use a 3T magnet.

Will sometimes point north but its the wife, not the magnet, that causes that effect. ;)

I had a terrible feeling just like that recently and damn near fell over while doing a slow speed turn. Took me a bit to figure it out but I had a stuck back brake pedal. The back brake was hanging enough to cause the bike to turn very hard and heavy at slow speed. Took it all apart, clean and greased it, and now it's fine.

The wear pattern on the tire sounds like it was under inflated for most of it's life. The weird wear pattern combined with low air pressure could cause the handling problem you described. If you put the proper amount of air in the tire and it makes the handling better then replacing the tires with a new set of PRIIs will fix it right up. Good luck.

Coming off an M-90, I was concerned about slow speed with the higher COG FJR. Spent a lot of time Sunday in the local parking lot, and I found that, at least for me, slow speeds were really not a big problem. So long as my throttle and clutch control and rear brake usage were well coordinated, it seemed to turn, corner, do figure eights, etc. at relatively slow speeds pretty easily. There does seem to be a need to really pay attention to clutch/friction zone issues, because even with the G2 Ergo throttletube, it's pretty easy to get the RPMs up.

I did have issues with trying to do a 90 degree right turn from stop (ie, without any forward movement first), but after thinking about it, I think that so long as I start with the front wheel turned (rather than going straight and then leaning to the right) that should be OK.

Big thing that's helped me with this (and other bikes) was "Ride Like a Pro." Learning their techniques for use of friction zone, head and eyes, and rear brake, and working on the "dip," have made a huge difference for me.

... Big thing that's helped me with this (and other bikes) was "Ride Like a Pro." Learning their techniques for use of friction zone, head and eyes, and rear brake, and working on the "dip," have made a huge difference for me.
Ditto. The slow speed skills taught in Jerry's video are essential to good riding technique. The best use of slow speed skills for me have been when making a u-turn on a 2 lane road. Once you brake to a near stop you can be completely turned around and riding off in about 2 to 3 seconds (without putting a foot down).

You're in good control of your bike when you can do handlebar lock-to-lock 180's without putting your feet down. I was able to do this on my 750 lb VTX1800 with ease. Carefully balancing the throttle and clutch "friction zone" against the rear brake keeps the bike upright! Who knew!?

I've found low speed maneuvering easier on this bike than my previous V-Strom. Was able to do the lock to lock hard turns but couldn't do it every time because I would chicken out.