Discussion About Radar Detectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Detecting DetectorsSince they have an oscillating current, all radio receivers not only pick up radio signals, they also emit them. This means that any radar detector, whether it has a jammer or not, broadcasts a tell-tale radio wave whenever it is turned on.
--update--

reading farther into the thread, i see a lot of this was already covered. screw you guys if i'm deleting all the following keystrokes.

--update--

not as a transmitter but as a "noise" side-effect of the circuit running. take an AM radio near a computer hard drive and scan the dial. you'll pick up radio frequency "noise" from the hard drive as a function of it's operation (the CRT example is also a very good one RF noise is common but that doesn't make the plethora of devices transmitters under the legal definition). no one would attempt to claim that a hard drive is a "radio transmitter", yet the radio can "receive" the "noise" in the same way a detector detector can receive the noise from a detector's circuitry. the "leak" is unintentional and mostly a result of case design. many designs are plastic (production cost savings and easier to shape into stylistic directions). one of the things that has always made the V1 less detectible is the metal shielding. "seeing over a hill" is less a function of "pulling in a signal" than it is the sensativity of the listening device and reflection (cars or other objects ahead). AM radio is also a radio wave but can be heard over the horizon; again as a function of relection -- often off the atmosphere itself at those power levels. their really is a lot of misunderstanding on the part of some of the folks on this thread. using something for umpty ump years doesn't mean that the mechanics of its operation and learned through osmosis (nor that the legal underpinnings of why something is "banned" is accurately understood).

just like people in the early days of satellite TV could legally receive signals broadcast through the air, so too can radar detector owners. in fact, the fcc told hbo and other channels to take a hike when the subscription stations originally tried to get legislation passed to ourlaw privately-owned dishes. in the end, subscription services were told that the only way to protect their signal was if they encrypted it. then the subscriber was authorized the unencryption but not the general public. everyone was still free to receive the signal but it did no good unless you could unscramble it.

it's all part of that pesky "government doesn't own anything, the people own it and loan it to the government" concept that the founders defined.

in the case of detectors (within scope of their rolls as receivers), they are passive and the only signal emitted is "noise"; not an active broadcast (not so with jammers which actively broadcast). some few jurisdictions have locally banned the use of detectors but not as transmitters. they tend to address them in transportation code with an eye (imo) on how they impede the collection of revenue; not a safety issue any more than the state with the recently passed $3000+ speeding fines that admitted it was for revenue enhancement.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for painting the bike flat black I'll keep the blue.

Hell I don't even own a cell phone.

After 30 years of electronics, I am just having some fun.

I do have some ECM experience through PMEL, worked also with TX/RC, navcom, weather equipment. I can keep going on and on and on.

I even played around with radar guns in the lab. The ones I seen were not fool proof.

Have fun I am going fishing.

Bob

Thanks Bounce and BobG

I spoke with a couple of hams here at work and the general concensus is that for a sideband carrier to be effective at the higher frequency would require a pretty high level amp.

We're gonna do some testing... One of these boys is an antenna freak that transmits down in the 6 and 2 meter bands. The other has more experience at higher freqs.

Shouild be interesting to see what they come up with - we all think it can be done, but would like to get into the "suspended" 76 - 77 GHz range.

Gosh - I wonder why that freq range is not "open" right now???? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Try amplifying the guns calibrated return signal. ( old guns used I believe a F sharp tuning fork, to simulate 50 mph, it has been a long time.)

The only problem would be if they use a sync signal, or some type pulse coded signal, then you may have to punt.

You can always try to splatter noise at high intensity back.

One of the hardest signal interference problems I had to chase down was generated by an unfiltered welder, used periodically by a farmer, 2 miles from our TX site.

You can always try to fry the receive side of the gun.

We lost a bunch of TACANs one time because a F111 forgot to turn off its ECM, as it flew across country.

EMPs are really not that hard to create, just takes some thought.

I always wondered what would happen if you transmit a high energy pulsed capacitance discharge signal on a specific carrier wave frequency. A peak pulse of about 50Kv +. Discharged through a directional air horn. It would be a tiny air horn at 76G.

Good luck with your tests.

Bob