DIY Hydration system w/ manual in-line pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacey

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Here are some pics of my hydration system. It is very similiar to every other hydration system posted with the exception of a

manual in-line bulb pump in the hose. I added it because I wanted some way to get water squirted into my jacket during those +98deg days

that we have in Lousiana. The bulb also allows you to pump water up the hose instead of having to suck the water all the way from the cooler

every time you want a drink. I had tried the camel-back style bite valves but they always allowed the water to drain back to the tank. The stainless

steel holders were made at a local machine shop for $100 and mounted to my passenger pegs. The Bubba kegs were $20 each, the in-line bulb pump

was $8 bucks at NAPA, and the sorted hoses came from Lowes. I used a retractable key-ring holder to keep the hose positioned at the tank bag.

I've used the system on two long rides so far and it has worked great.

One reason I went with dual coolers was to give me plenty of water for long hot trips or added storage for tools if needed.

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00452.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

Nice work.

I still like my camelback with COLD water. It resides right where I seem to get the hottest while wearing my jacket, the center of my back.

I have two thoughts on this post. First and foremost, congratulations to Stacey for a clever and well executed farkle. Second, how do human beings survive in a climate where such a thing is necessary?

Dude, objects such as this MAKE surviving in a climate like this much more enjoyable.

I have a hydrations system on my bike & do like your setup.

Tell me Stacey, is it possible to clean the look up a little by using hose clamps as opposed to tape? Is there a reason that you didn't do so?

BTW... good job,

Heidi

I have two thoughts on this post. First and foremost, congratulations to Stacey for a clever and well executed farkle. Second, how do human beings survive in a climate where such a thing is necessary?
Last thing you want is to be dehydrated while out squeezing your hose! ;)

JW

Dude, objects such as this MAKE surviving in a climate like this much more enjoyable.
I have a hydrations system on my bike & do like your setup.

Tell me Stacey, is it possible to clean the look up a little by using hose clamps as opposed to tape? Is there a reason that you didn't do so?

BTW... good job,

Heidi
Heidi,

I do have stainless steel hose clamps connecting almost all of the hose connections. I just covered them up with tape to keep from scratching up the gas tank.

Stacey

Pretty cool!
But I'd rather just pull over and take a few swigs from a water bottle...
The benefit with my setup is that you can still stop and take a few swigs and also shoot some water inside your jacket vents or down the back of your collar at stops

without having to open up your cooler.

Stacey

Stacey, didn't know about the stainless connections. That is the only thing that I don't like... but I understand why the tape is there. Also, I can see the utility of a squeeze bulb.

Surely, cold water all day is good, eh?

Shoot, it was 106 here in Orlando, Florida this weekend... If I had storage access I'd post my shot of the FJR temp display. Anyways, it makes it COOLER to wear a mesh jacket. I feel like I'm roasting without it, but when I'm wearing it, it keeps the sun off my skin and it seems to force the air to actually flow over my skin. Or maybe I should just shave my arms. That would cut down on the local bigfoot sightings, I guess.

I'm definitely stealing the squeeze-bulb idea. I usually put my camelbak in my tankbag, and it needs a little help.

Pretty cool!
But I'd rather just pull over and take a few swigs from a water bottle...
I was in Kansas on Sunday in 100 degree heat. I lasted 10 miles before I needed 4 or 5 sips of H2O. That's alot of stopping in heat...

Glad I had my camelback. :clapping:

I'm waiting for someone to farkle a squeeze bulb with tube for the "exit" as well. Or maybe it should be a closed loop . . . . I'm sure there are some "Dune" fans out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not clear on the concept.

Does the bulb pressurize the 'tank' forcing the fluid up the hose

-or-

does the bulb 'suck' the fluid up the hose then discharge?

I'm not clear on the concept.Does the bulb pressurize the 'tank' forcing the fluid up the hose

-or-

does the bulb 'suck' the fluid up the hose then discharge?
from what i can see in the pics, its a one way fuel pump that "sucks" the water out from the tanks in to your mouth.